Memorial Day weekend plans

petitepedal

WOChrisL rented a cabin in our local mountains.  I’m bringing bikes & fly rods.  We plan to leave Friday after work (the drive will be brutal) and are coming home Tues.  Our daughter, SIL, CJ & Smokey are coming up Sat & leaving Monday.  

• Heart 3

Tonight my brother is staying with us again after driving back from his hiking trip in the Adirondacks (39,000 steps yesterday with a 40 pound pack and a damaged heart).
Tomorrow I’m driving up to my Mom’s house to fill my SUV with things no one has claimed. A big screen tv, a coffee table and odds n ends. My oldest brother will be there doing the same. We’ll be getting Indian food then heading home Sunday morning. I’ve allowed time for two birdwatching sessions at the Montezuma NWR, one of the best birdwatching places in the Northeast between Rochester and Syracuse. Monday just chill and grill. Maybe do a Memorial Day activity honoring the fallen troops or visiting a grave site. 

• Heart 2

Need I say it?

This is the holy grail weekend of auto racing for the fans.  Monaco, Indy, ARCA and NASCAR with a host of sub races such as the Porsche Cup races on the internet.

Additionally, the outlaws have rented a pavilion at a state beach park for a birthday party tomorrow that will require at least half a day's attendance.

The weekend has a lot of rain in the forecast however.  Ugh.

• Heart 2

Mine started yesterday. Five day weekend! Did shopping, made pie crust, Went for a gravel ride and out to dinner at a seafood restaurant. Storms today with a tornado watch already in place. Worst will be between 11 and 2. Making apple and blueberry pies. Juiced and zested two lemons. Washed and sorted the blueberries. I may bake pies soon in case we lose power later. Saturday bike ride and dispose of some old gas at the hazardous waste day. 

2D007855-ABA6-4AA6-A285-5E5CE7EC92E0.jpeg

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Ride

Ride

Run

Yardwork

This. Great riding weather the next few days.

I am helping a long-time client move files from an old server to a new laptop this afternoon. He's downsized his business to where he really doesn't need a server anymore.

• Heart 1

Probably nothing but yard/garden work before our weather returns to the 90's for the Mon - Thurs.

Rain has been messing up the agenda - and we're supposed to get some Fri and Sat, too.

I'm having a hard time hardening-off my veggie plants because there's been so little sun.

• Hugs 1

22 minutes ago, Airehead said:

We are leaving g tomorrow to start our pilgrimage to @Allen’s retreat. First stop Buckhannon, WV for some hiking. 

Interesting.  Looks like you and @Longjohn could use I-79 instead of I-81 to get down to the Carolinas and Georgia.  That might be a far more pleasant route than the 81 option.  Too far west for me, but coming from the western sides of NY or PA, it seems pretty good.

Enjoy the hike.  WV has some beautiful places to hike.

• Heart 1

54 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Interesting.  Looks like you and @Longjohn could use I-79 instead of I-81 to get down to the Carolinas and Georgia.  That might be a far more pleasant route than the 81 option.  Too far west for me, but coming from the western sides of NY or PA, it seems pretty good.

We are flying from tiny airport to tiny airport.   I have just been corrected we are going to Beckly not Buckhannon.  Also corrected that some airports are not tiny. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Airehead said:

We are flying from tiny airport to tiny airport.   I have just been corrected we are going to Beckly not Buckhannon.  Also corrected that some airports are not tiny. 

It will still be fun and potentially very beautiful.  Beckley is likely a "bigger" spot than Buckhannon (which I had to look for on the map), but "big" in WV is not very big, so there are usually great outdoor options near almost all towns and cities.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

If I remember 79 only goes to Charleston WVa where it joins 77south. That’s probably the way we will go Ben will be doing most of the driving so I’ll let him decide. 

• Heart 2

Sounds like dinner tonight then catching up on Mrs. Maisel or Stranger Things tonight with the wives.  Yard work tomorrow, then Mass.  Sunday, off to a day in NYC for Dear Evan Hansen and dinner.  Monday, bike ride with the Bike-a-Thon team, then burgers.  If I'm around, I'll head down to the vets memorial with a horn for the 3PM Taps.  There was something else I'm supposed to do, but I can't remember.

• Heart 2

Put out 400 or so American flags with the Scouts tonight.  Pick up three 15 passenger vans and meet the Scouts at the church at 8 tomorrow morning and head for Splashway water park for a long weekend.  Taking the Scout leadership team out for burgers on Monday night.

• Heart 4

Laying low tomorrow to rest. 3x a year I have what I call a blood letting for ablood disorder I have. In the last 7 days I have had three units of blood drawn and it literally drains me. Planning a 62 mile ride Sunday so tomorrow is r&r.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, Gump said:

Laying low tomorrow to rest. 3x a year I have what I call a blood letting for ablood disorder I have. In the last 7 days I have had three units of blood drawn and it literally drains me. Planning a 62 mile ride Sunday so tomorrow is r&r.

You must produce too many red blood cells. Can they use the blood they take or just treat it as a biohazard?

Just now, Longjohn said:

You must produce too many red blood cells. Can they use the blood they take or just treat it as a biohazard?

I do. I think they use the plasma but not the whole blood. Thankfully it’s only a few times a year.

• Awesome 1

I will likely have to work one of the days, but I'm also planning to go up to the Catskills for one day.  We'll plant some flowers on the graves for my parents, grandparents and great grandparents and visit all our favorite spots (except for our favorite restaurant that is still closed).

• Hugs 2

21 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Depends, it's tricky.  I'm not asking, but I suspect the condition is hemochromatosis.  That blood is perfectly good to use and long as the donor otherwise qualifies.

The tricky part is, that is a billable procedure.  Donor centers are allowed to use the blood as long as they do not charge anyone, including patients where the blood cannot be used.  The incentive to want to donate to save a few bucks needs to be removed.

Oddly, many cancer patients need to have blood removed once they go into remission.  They get so many transfusions the develop iron overload.  There are other ways to remove the iron, but simple phlebotomies are the safest / easiest.  That blood can never be used.

• Thank You 1

51 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Depends, it's tricky.  I'm not asking, but I suspect the condition is hemochromatosis.  That blood is perfectly good to use and long as the donor otherwise qualifies.

The tricky part is, that is a billable procedure.  Donor centers are allowed to use the blood as long as they do not charge anyone, including patients where the blood cannot be used.  The incentive to want to donate to save a few bucks needs to be removed.

Oddly, many cancer patients need to have blood removed once they go into remission.  They get so many transfusions the develop iron overload.  There are other ways to remove the iron, but simple phlebotomies are the safest / easiest.  That blood can never be used.

Polycythemia vera. 

Had to call a plumber today to fix a water leak inside the wall. So tomorrow I need to screen the hole in the wall to keep bugs out while the wood and insulation dry for a couple days to prevent mold. He said we caught it before there was any structural damage. I’ll finish patching the hole Monday if it’s dry enough. Lack of humidity and temps over 100 should help!

Went to dinner at West Alley BBQ and stayed for the band.
Tomorrow I will try to get a ride in before it gets too hot then do the patch, watch F1 qualifying and maybe Obi Wan 

Sunday I will watch Monaco and Indy 500. Maybe do some smoking. 
Monday is only supposed to get to low 90s so I’m going to try to get in a longer ride before patching the hole in the wall. 

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, groupw said:

Had to call a plumber today to fix a water leak inside the wall. So tomorrow I need to screen the hole in the wall to keep bugs out while the wood and insulation dry for a couple days to prevent mold. He said we caught it before there was any structural damage. I’ll finish patching the hole Monday if it’s dry enough. Lack of humidity and temps over 100 should help!

Went to dinner at West Alley BBQ and stayed for the band.
Tomorrow I will try to get a ride in before it gets too hot then do the patch, watch F1 qualifying and maybe Obi Wan 

Sunday I will watch Monaco and Indy 500. Maybe do some smoking. 
Monday is only supposed to get to low 90s so I’m going to try to get in a longer ride before patching the hole in the wall. 

Leak is why I used the sad face but 😀 because there was no structural damage

• Heart 1

13 hours ago, groupw said:

Obi Wan 

mr. said Disney + has now added an alert that the Jedi School shooting scene may disturb some viewers. We had commented to each other when we started that the scene was hard to watch. 

• Heart 1

On 5/27/2022 at 8:49 PM, Digital_photog said:

4 days of good hay drying weather so we will be busy.  Will be cutting 32 acres tomorrow morning then tedding it in the afternoon.  Sunday will be church then Monday and Tuesday will be baling and gathering up bales.  Anyone want to come help?

It has been excellent hay making weather.  Warm, sunny, windy and low humidity.  Hay is just about dry.  Will be raking and baling tomorrow.  Yesterday all the big green tractors were in use so the new toy got used for tedding. When I bought it I wanted one that was big enough to do some of the light work.  Have been well pleased so far.

284800354_10227680878797692_786290108676447701_n.jpg.546c176ab0ab355d1e45faf2976a163b.jpg

• Heart 2

After surviving the rainstorm yesterday, I went with my Not Wild Sister up to the Catskills.  The weather was perfect  and traffic was light, so it was a good day.  We planted some begonias on the grave and visited at the Church and then drove around a bit.  It was nice to see some activity in the towns including some active Farmer's Markets and some new businesses.  

• Heart 2