IOS 15.5

maddmaxx

5 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Just loaded itself onto my phone today.  Wasn't it just a while ago we were discussing 15.0?

I think all the phone and computer OS folks are in near constant update mode these days.  For Apple iPhones, there are two reasons - 1) patches, fixes, security updates and 2) feature updates.  Feature updates usually center around the Apple ecosystem - ie an update to the Apple Watch or the Mac OS might have a ripple effect to require it also being implemented on the other parts in the ecosystem.  Likewise, usually as a release event approaches, the features that might be buried in the OS but commented out will be switched "on", and new/revised functions come to light.  

One of the ways bloggers look for what's coming from Apple (or others) is to dig through the existing code and see what stuff is in there that might tip their hand.  For example, I they find a new bit the has a "Apple Bike" name, then they start to forecast Apple is moving into the Peloton or Garmin arena.

Check the release notes and see if they have a reason for the update or if it is just part of the regular rhythm of releases.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Bikeguy said:

15.5 was released on 5/16/22

It's pretty fun to read through the synopsis of what's in 15.5.  More "under-the-hood" stuff according to the MacRumors folks, but it does show how the ecosystem affects the iOS and vice versa.

The new updates aren't as feature rich as the prior updates and focus primarily on under-the-hood changes, but there are still a few minor tweaks, which we've outlined below.

I’m on 15.4. If it updates itself, that’s fine. I’m replacing my 8 with a 13 Pro next week. Battery life and other performance issues are rearing their head. I am going on 5 years with this phone. But if I trade now, I get $400 credit to the new one.  

1 hour ago, groupw said:

I’m on 15.4. If it updates itself, that’s fine. I’m replacing my 8 with a 13 Pro next week. Battery life and other performance issues are rearing their head. I am going on 5 years with this phone. But if I trade now, I get $400 credit to the new one.  

You got your money’s worth. And a $400 credit? You should feel ok to upgrade. 

• Heart 1