Cleaning your cassette on the bike

Square Wheels

Question

I am new to disc brakes, just got my bike last January (2021).
I've cleaned it a few times outside with Simple Green and a garden hose.
I soak the cassette, scrub away with some brushes, hose the whole bike down, and let it air dry.
Then I lube the chain and off I go.

I just watched a video where they used a disc brake protector to keep the cleaner and dirt out of the brakes.
So far, I have not had an issue.
Am I going to cause myself trouble by not protecting my brakes?

Thanks

9 answers to this question

How is your cassette getting dirty enough to clean?  You don't ride in poor conditions.  :dontknow:

But, regarding the brakes, that is interesting to think of as a possible issue.  It really would seem that the brakes should be able to handle anything up to what Mother Nature throws at them, and some soapy water or detergent wouldn't be bad news.  I never wash a bike, so I haven't run into that problem.

• Awesome 1

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

How is your cassette getting dirty enough to clean?  You don't ride in poor conditions.  :dontknow:

Yeah, I guess those days are over.  A couple of weeks ago we went on a 3 hour ride.  I was supposed to be nice.  It rained all night and was misting when we started.  The bike was a mess.  I apolozied to it.

• Hugs 1

8 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Yeah, I guess those days are over.  A couple of weeks ago we went on a 3 hour ride.  I was supposed to be nice.  It rained all night and was misting when we started.  The bike was a mess.  I apolozied to it.

Bike abuse!!!! Someone may need to take it away from you and give it to a good home.  I'm thinking I would be a good foster parent.

• Hugs 1

On 5/31/2022 at 11:16 AM, Square Wheels said:

Your bike probably enjoyed the ride. Getting out in the muck every now and then is fun. The post ride clean is like a day at the spa.

• Heart 1

I just keep some rubbing alcohol with my bike cleaning stuff and if I spray crud on my rotors I just wipe them down.  I have had disc brake bikes for about 6 years now, 4 in total and really only fouled my brakes badly once where the only way I could stop the noise was by replacing the pads. They still worked fine but we’re awfully loud.

I’d think you are fine without the disc protector thing. 

What on earth do people lube their chains with to make such a mess of their cassette? They must use used motor oil or tar as a chain lube. I started out years ago using some kind of chain lube that was basically oil. I quickly switched to one of the clean lubes and never looked back. There are many brands on the market and I haven’t had any trouble with any of them. Right now I’m using “Clean Ride” but I have used “White Lightning” and “Ice Lube” without any issues. That being said I don’t think a greasy, bunked up cassette will affect shifting but you will have to clean your derailleur because it will affect shifting. The simple answer is to use a quality product and avoid a lot of problems.

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

15 hours ago, Longjohn said:

What on earth do people lube their chains with to make such a mess of their cassette? They must use used motor oil or tar as a chain lube. I started out years ago using some kind of chain lube that was basically oil. I quickly switched to one of the clean lubes and never looked back. There are many brands on the market and I haven’t had any trouble with any of them. Right now I’m using “Clean Ride” but I have used “White Lightning” and “Ice Lube” without any issues. That being said I don’t think a greasy, bunked up cassette will affect shifting but you will have to clean your derailleur because it will affect shifting. The simple answer is to use a quality product and avoid a lot of problems.

True on the road but spend anytime in dirt or mud and the situation changes dramatically.  We have really dry dusty dirt that really cakes on your chain, pulley’s and cassette.  I have to wipe & clean my chain after maybe 2 rides in the dirt.

But yeah SW is a roadie so I don’t think it’s as much as a concern.

They just put fresh dirt and rock on my road while I was on GOBA. It just makes my bike a little dusty. Some of the rocks are way too big and sharp, I have to steer around them. I don’t know what they were thinking. I’m getting a lot of local friends on Strava lately. I never see them when I’m out riding but some of them do ride in my area. I should start a poll “Worst gravel/dirt roads in Mercer county”. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1