A weird "thump... thump" each revolution

Razors Edge

I had a spoke replaced in the rear wheel, and I noticed on my second or third ride that there was a tiny bump on TWICE on each rotation - with an apparent high spot on opposite sides of the wheel.  Out on the road, I basically put my finger on the brake bridge, and gave the wheel a spin. I could get it so the tire contacted my finger twice briefly on each revolution, but I haven't looked at it at home yet.    You barely notice climbing at 8mph, but descending at 30, it is fairly obvious. 

@Rattlecan or others, is it likely that spoke tension when the wheel was fixed would do this?  I thought it might be the tire, but before I replace a tire (it still has a little meat on it) I want to eliminate (or blame) the wheel).

7 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Maybe the tire isn't seated properly?

Yeah - I need to spend a few minutes looking it over when I'm not in the middle of a ride.  I rode it again the next day and didn't notice it (or tuned it out), but I was also not going as fast.  On the Sat ride, I was coasting on some of the steeper stuff, so it was more obvious as there was no pedaling to "hide" it.  I might have to do some coasting today and see if it shows up.

9 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

You've crashed enough, make sure your tire is seated well.  I had my front one pop off once.  Terrifying. 

:D

Yeah - I wonder if they removed the tire to replace the spoke???  Doesn't seem like that's a given, but maybe they did?  

I'm guessing they didn't do a good job with the even tension while replacing the spoke. 

2 high spots seems unlikely with an improperly installed tire. You would have one big bulge along the sidewalk. 

2 , the tire wouldn't stay on long at all. With bad tension,  they more than likely created low spots in the vertical true. They created a "hop".

Shop guys are known to just slap in a spoke and turn just to get the job done. 

Heck, I even had one clown install a spoke that was was too short. 

There's a reason I started building my own wheels. 

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Mr. Beanz said:

I'm guessing they didn't do a good job with the even tension while replacing the spoke. 

2 high spots seems unlikely with an improperly installed tire. You would have one big bulge along the sidewalk. 

2 , the tire wouldn't stay on long at all. With bad tension,  they more than likely created low spots in the vertical true. They created a "hop".

Shop guys are known to just slap in a spoke and turn just to get the job done. 

Heck, I even had one clown install a spoke that was was too short. 

There's a reason I started building my own wheels. 

Good points.  I'm gonna get around to investigating and will drop back by the shop to have them sort it out if I see anything.  

• Heart 1

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...