Suicide Knobs

Airehead

I had one on my first car 50 years ago, but none since. It had a clear plastic top with a picture of a bikini clad girl under it.

I think every tractor I drove had one. I remember slicing my hand on one of them. It was a wooden knob with a peened over shaft through it. The peening had worn to a very sharp edge and the result was a nasty cut.

• Hugs 1

Front end loaders come with them. While working at the landscape supply and using one while grinding mulch and loading trucks all day, six days a week, it screwed up my left arm. You steer with the left hand, operate the front bucket with the right. As I'm mimicking the steering motion now, it still hurts my arm. :unsure:

tub grinder.jpeg

• Heart 3
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Airehead said:

Did you ever have one on your steering wheel?

Only on my old JD tractor.   The prior owner had one on the steering wheel.  I left it there, and it still gets used.  It does make it easier to steer. 

I remember cars before power steering.  The steering wheels were considerably larger in diameter, and the number of turns (lock to lock) were more too.   Power steering in a car eliminated the need for the knob.

My new JD tractor has power steering, and it is soooo easy to steer.  No need for a knob on this tractor.  I wanted a hydraulic lift for the mower deck and the future snow plow (or snow blower).  The power steering was included with the hydraulic lift.   I like the power steering, WoBG loves it. 

• Heart 2

7 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

remember cars before power steering.  The steering wheels were considerably larger in diameter, and the number of turns (lock to lock) were more too.   Power steering in a car eliminated the need for the knob

Power steering and rack and pinion eliminated the need for the recirculating ball steering box. Those things were a marvelous invention. I learned how to work on them but never had to work on one. They always outlasted the cars.

• Heart 1