N-1. Sold my tandem

Rattlecan

3 hours ago, team scooter said:

I have a 1965 Schwinn tandem deluxe in the raspberry color I'll be needing to sell when I start selling off all our bikes. No sense in leaving them sit in the basement when others could use them. :unsure:

Mine has a build date of October 22 1964 according to the serial number data base but not sure if it was sold as a 64 or 65.

37 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

What kind of brakes did you put on there? Must be something in the hub but the only thing I have seen in the hub is a coaster brake. Tell me about those brakes. It’s a nice clean look.

They are Shimano roller brakes. The original drive train was a 5 speed freewheel with a drum brake. The front had a caliper brake but the original wheels were Schwinn’s proprietary 26 inch wheels so the brake wouldn’t reach the standard 26” wheel I built for it.

The roller brakes work okay.

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

How many bikes do you have to sell off?

We're down to four newer comfort type bikes, four or five 1970s bikes, two tandems, a few vintage kid's bikes and a 1950s chain drive kids tricycle. We've already given some away. Mrs cant ride anymore, and she was my motivation. :(

• Sad 2

5 minutes ago, team scooter said:

We're down to four newer comfort type bikes, four or five 1970s bikes, two tandems, a few vintage kid's bikes and a 1950s chain drive kids tricycle. We've already given a some away. Mrs cant ride anymore, and she was my motivation. :(

I'm sorry she can't ride..what is the main obstacle for her now? 

Hope you keep a few bikes for yourself to ride.  

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, Rattlecan said:

The original drive train was a 5 speed freewheel with a drum brake. The front had a caliper brake 

This is how ours is set up. I believe I bought it from Digital Photog several years ago, and only used it a handful of times. :(

Interestingly when the one I have was new, I was three years old, and only lived a few blocks from the Schwinn factory where it was made. :nodhead:

• Heart 1