Great...But Good Luck!

Razors Edge

...finding it readily available :(  Shimano making a "limited" shiny version of GRX, and yet I have't been able to get brake pads for my GRX brakes as they have been unavailable for MONTHS.  Maybe they need to dedicate a line to making more replaceable bits, and less "special edition" stuff.

shimano_ultegra_2021_annecy-5-copy.jpg

31 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Wait long enough and folks will be begging to buy those from you!

I should put them on ebay and get rid of them. I've got an old 80 mm Reba I should ditch as well. A set of Stan's 355s. All old school parts I thought I might build up a mt bike if I found a used frame for the right price. 

Dreams of an El Mariachi.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, dinneR said:

I should put them on ebay and get rid of them. I've got an old 80 mm Reba I should ditch as well. A set of Stan's 355s. All old school parts I thought I might build up a mt bike if I found a used frame for the right price. 

There’s a SS El Mariachi full rigid on local CL for $1,700.   I considered it for a second…

• Heart 1

44 minutes ago, dinneR said:

Sweet bike, but I think they were only $1500 or less new. Maybe it's fancy. Is it the white one?

No green with an Enve carbon fork.  What components the owner put on it seems pretty bling.  

• Heart 1

15 hours ago, dinneR said:

Over the past few years, I've been trying to make a dent in my "bike bits" collection.  For a while, I was always like, "I can use this for..." or "I should hold on to this as a back-up", but what I find is that all that stuff becomes "shelf fodder" where it sits, unloved :(  I was able to give away a lot of stuff and if it gets a good home and even a modicum of use, it is WAY better than what it got in my garage.  

I've almost pared it down enough - especially the 10sp and even some of the 11sp non-disc stuff - so that I feel pretty good, but still working on it.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Over the past few years, I've been trying to make a dent in my "bike bits" collection.  For a while, I was always like, "I can use this for..." or "I should hold on to this as a back-up", but what I find is that all that stuff becomes "shelf fodder" where it sits, unloved :(  I was able to give away a lot of stuff and if it gets a good home and even a modicum of use, it is WAY better than what it got in my garage.  

I've almost pared it down enough - especially the 10sp and even some of the 11sp non-disc stuff - so that I feel pretty good, but still working on it.

I drop off stuff at the local consignment gear shop. Some of it sells, some comes back to me. I can spend it on camping and ski gear. Last week, I saw they sell bear spray and I need a new can. 

I had enough parts to build a SS minus the frame and keep hoping to find an old frame.  

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, dinneR said:

I drop off stuff at the local consignment gear shop. Some of it sells, some comes back to me. I can spend it on camping and ski gear. Last week, I saw they sell bear spray and I need a new can. 

I had enough parts to build a SS minus the frame and keep hoping to find an old frame.  

Yeah - I was complaining about not having a parts swap nearby ( @Old No. 7 found one relatively close), but I imagine I would just want to go there and give stuff to good homes and call it a day.  It would be nice to have a consignment shop for all the little random bits I have, but that seems unlikely, and things like eBay or Facebook market or craigslist just seem like too much headache.

We're working on scheduling a garage sale, and I usually parade as much stuff as possible out to the table to see if it will move.  Rarely does that happen.  But we do get rid of a lot of puzzles that way :)

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah - I was complaining about not having a parts swap nearby ( @Old No. 7 found one relatively close), but I imagine I would just want to go there and give stuff to good homes and call it a day.  It would be nice to have a consignment shop for all the little random bits I have, but that seems unlikely, and things like eBay or Facebook market or craigslist just seem like too much headache.

We're working on scheduling a garage sale, and I usually parade as much stuff as possible out to the table to see if it will move.  Rarely does that happen.  But we do get rid of a lot of puzzles that way :)

This consignment shop is nice. This town is full of so many pro deals and reps that some stuff is new. I bought some skis there that the Fischer rep sold. Unused, but "demos." I find it easy to drop off stuff instead of taking the time to list it on ebay. I can spend my money on camp food or other random stuff.

• Awesome 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just now, Longjohn said:

Good trick, they have been putting an expiration date on more and more stuff these days. You don’t have to use it or wear it out or break it and you still need to buy more. Job security.

It can lose it's effectiveness. Is that really something you want to take a chance on? 

5 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Or so they say, you should take your old can and your new can to the zoo and test them both. Give us a report.

So you've tested them? You talk like an expert. Have you ever used bear spray?

Personally, it's seems like a silly thing to risk your life on.

We don't have a zoo. 

• Haha 1