Crash - a sad tale

Parsnip Totin Jack

This happened yesterday and you may have read this in the news. Wo7 and I were in that area about 30 minutes before it happened. Coming back from the dentist we stopped at Chick fil A for lunch around 11. Oakton HS, in their final week of the school year, released students early at 11:30. A lot of students walk home. Three female students are walking home and are waiting to cross a side street. A Toyota SUV was turning left onto the side street and waited for the ladies to cross. Making the turn, the Toyota struck a BMW four door sedan that was traveling at a high rate of speed with four juveniles inside. The impact spun the BMW into the pedestrians, killing two and severely injuring the third. The driver and passenger were injured and treated on the scene. The two back seat passengers left on foot. Police are looking for them as they are required to stay at the scene. The pedestrians had the whole day ahead of them, their whole summer, and their whole lives to look forward to. The BMW had thirty day tags. Reports have not confirmed this but they are likely students at the school as well. Driving a new car with too much horsepower and not enough experience. Hug your loved ones when you see them. 

• Sad 16

17 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

This happened yesterday and you may have read this in the news. Wo7 and I were in that area about 30 minutes before it happened. Coming back from the dentist we stopped at Chick fil A for lunch around 11. Oakton HS, in their final week of the school year, released students early at 11:30. A lot of students walk home. Three female students are walking home and are waiting to cross a side street. A Toyota SUV was turning left onto the side street and waited for the ladies to cross. Making the turn, the Toyota struck a BMW four door sedan that was traveling at a high rate of speed with four juveniles inside. The impact spun the BMW into the pedestrians, killing two and severely injuring the third. The driver and passenger were injured and treated on the scene. The two back seat passengers left on foot. Police are looking for them as they are required to stay at the scene. The pedestrians had the whole day ahead of them, their whole summer, and their whole lives to look forward to. The BMW had thirty day tags. Reports have not confirmed this but they are likely students at the school as well. Driving a new car with too much horsepower and not enough experience. Hug your loved ones when you see them. 

Teens can be reckless with cars - often without realizing it due to a combination of a lack of experience and common sense.

When I was in high school, a guy named Mark had taken the day off school so his mother could take him to the Dept. of Motor Vehicles to test and get his driver's license.

When school let out he, alone in the car, kept driving past the school and waving to everyone he knew to show-off that he had his license.  After several times, we were all laughing at his antics as he drove by again.

He was waving his arm out the window, looking out the side window too long, and drove right into the back of a school bus!  He never lived that down for the rest of his high school career.

Fortunately for him, he learned a costly lesson without injuring anyone.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

really sad... one or two quick bad decisions and lots of lives are screwed up for a long time.

In high school two guys a few years older than me were racing motorcycles on a road near the school, with a curve at the end.  A car came around that curve, the guy in the left lane panicked, lost control and was killed just as the morning homeroom bell was about to ring.  (however, this crash left only emotional collateral damage)

I have done more than a few stupid things behind the wheel of a motor vehicle; it is part of the culture in the rural area where I grew up (but it's really teenage-boy culture, and universal).  I was lucky to emerge unscathed.

• Hugs 1

When the kid next door turned 17, they bought him a '63 Maserati Mistrial.  The only reason he didn't wreck it is because the starter quit after a month.  He didn't want to wait for parts, so they sold it and gave him a brand new Trans Am.  Only took a few weeks before he launched it sideways through a pole.  Months later, when he finally got out of the hospital, a new T bird.  That lasted  a little longer, because they were awful cars by then

• Sad 3

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Update: the 18 year old driver is being charged with involuntary manslaughter. Crash reconstruction has said that he was believed to be traveling at 81 mph. In a 35 mph zone. 

Was it confirmed if the driver was a student?

28 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Update: the 18 year old driver is being charged with involuntary manslaughter. Crash reconstruction has said that he was believed to be traveling at 81 mph. In a 35 mph zone. 

Then deserved. Sucks that it will not bring the person back. 81 in a 35 is extreme.

12 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Then deserved. Sucks that it will not bring the person back. 81 in a 35 is extreme.

Very true. He hit three students walking on the sidewalk. Killed two and critically injured the third. His parents better lawyer up for the civil suit that is sure to follow. 

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Very true. He hit three students walking on the sidewalk. Killed two and critically injured the third. His parents better lawyer up for the civil suit that is sure to follow. 

I wonder if they will try the Ethan Couch "Affluenza" defense like that douchebag and his family down here in Texas did?   Life in prison will suck, but he ruined multiple lives.

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

I wonder if they will try the Ethan Couch "Affluenza" defense like that douchebag and his family down here in Texas did?   Life in prison will suck, but he ruined multiple lives.

In this case up here, I don't think there is (yet or ever) a comparison to that case.  Couch (and his family) seemed to have a history before and after his crash.  We'll see what comes out up here.  Right now, it is just a horrendous tragedy across the board.  Just awful :(  and sad and so avoidable.

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

In this case up here, I don't think there is (yet or ever) a comparison to that case.  Couch (and his family) seemed to have a history before and after his crash.  We'll see what comes out up here.  Right now, it is just a horrendous tragedy across the board.  Just awful :(  and sad and so avoidable.

I'm sorry, I was not around on forum to know of Sofa Loren and crash. What happened in a nutshell?