2 Cycle engine advice

Kzoo

I have a 1999 25Hp 2 stroke outboard engine that has been in storage for about a dozen years.  It worked great before it was put in storage.  I'm about ready to fire that thing up but I wanted to ask (as opposed to Google) if there a recommendation for something to put in the cylinders before hitting the start button?

Next on the list would be to replace the lower unit gear oil.

Are you starting it in a test tank or using ear muffs to supply water?  If using muffs, they will mask a bad impeller, as you are sending pressuried water into the water intake.  If you are running in a tank or on a boat in the water, make sure that engine is putting out water from the indicator line.  Make sure it is not overheating.

• Heart 2

13 minutes ago, Further said:

A couple squirts of oil in the cylinders and crank it with the plugs out to spread the lube around. Fogging oil is made for this, a squirt in the carb would be a good idea 

This ^^^

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Are you starting it in a test tank or using ear muffs to supply water?  If using muffs, they will mask a bad impeller, as you are sending pressuried water into the water intake.  If you are running in a tank or on a boat in the water, make sure that engine is putting out water from the indicator line.  Make sure it is not overheating.

I have muffs.  Thanks for the heads up on the impeller.

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

There is a channel on the you tubes called "that boat guy".  He does outboards a ton.  It would be good to watch a few of his vids.  Pretty informative. 

I was going to look up UTube vids.  Thanks for the direction.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

I have muffs.  Thanks for the heads up on the impeller.

Consider replacing or at least pulling the impeller prior to starting.  That could turn to shrapnel pretty quickly.  If you pull it, duct tape to seal the cuff to make sure the hose pressure feeds the engine.  Just don't run the hose full blast.

Is it an Evinrude or a Kia?

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Got back at it this afternoon.  It took a bit of cranking but I got it started.  Impeller looks to be working just fine.  The engine is running just fine.

I still don't understand how you are going to use this on two cycles.  Do you mean to move it from one to the other or just cobble up some sort of frankenbikes.