I’m going to build a hi-fi

Allen

Just now, Allen said:

The first speaker trial was successful.

Made a pair of 2x2 panels from foam board. They have no bass but mid and high end sound amazing. Going to make two more panels but 4x4 foot across to see the difference in tonal range. 

Mounted the panels on the ceiling of the back porch. Think these are going to stay as outdoor speakers  

7650C94E-13AD-4E0E-8F18-320B54200BCF.jpeg

Now there's a technology I've not seen it quite a while.  When I was in the navy, and single, the three of us who rented a house in VA Beach built our stereo using Dynaco kits.  The speakers were homebuilt using Altec Lansing "Voice of the theater" tri-axial 15" speakers and home built enclosures made of pine with a base port and baffles inside to make up the proper length.  When done the speakers needed a couple of people just to move them around as they were huge.  Those were the days with our Heathkit voltmeters and my Heathkit radio control systems.  I've not done any through hole soldering in years.  I miss it.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep - the speakers are what I find most interesting.  :D  But, all of it is still fun to hear about.

The flat panels powered by the exciters sound excellent. 
They lack on the low end however. The ones I made the other day I’m pushing with a cheap Fosi Audio amp. 
For the next set I’m doing a hybrid; flat panel plus a small sub for each channel. And that is the crossover I’m trying to suss out. 

• Heart 2

On 6/21/2022 at 9:46 AM, Allen said:

I’m building the speakers first. Then I’m going to build the amp around them. 

After P&W laid me off I worked briefly as a commission salesperson for the hifi portion of a big box store.  Customers would always want to start their component list with amps or changers but my advice was always to begin in the speaker section.  

"Those are what you are going to be listening to.  Make sure you get what you like and then we will build the rest of the system around them"  

• Heart 1

I'm jealous!  I used to love good, loud, no-detectable-distortion amps and speakers.

But, with a slight hearing loss I've been told that's not advisable anymore.  So I got a cheap-but-good (about $35 when I bought them) surround-the-ear headphones with a 9' long cord and I make sure I limit the volume playing through my laptop or phone.  My sister wanted headphones and listened to mine and listened to her son's $200 Dr. Dre's - both plugged into a laptop with a DTS Sound Unbound driver.  She said the difference was negligible enough that she got the ones I have.

image.thumb.png.be288564750b10fa75fc986aae2aab48.png