Supplements for cholesterol

petitepedal

8 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

Anyone here tried them :dontknow:

I am watching my diet and trying to get exercise...wondering if I should try red yeast rice...or another supplement for healthy cholesterol?

Do you want to suppress "bad" cholesterol or boost "good" cholesterol?  I think statins do something, correct?

Red yeast rice will work, it is a natural statin. If you have prescription coverage a statin will work better and cost you less. I think the directions on the red rice yeast said take two capsules three times a day. That is a lot to remember and a lot of pills The statin I take once a day and it really works.

I took niacin for a couple years, it didn’t do much. I ate a ton of oatmeal and even tried eating it with a tablespoon of cinnamon stirred in. No noticeable effects from any of these. I quit eating red meat, butter, cheese, the only fat I use in anything is EVOO. I tried a product called cholesteroff, it didn’t do a thing for me.

• Heart 1

I have hereditary high cholesterol and no amount of dietary changes or supplements helped. I also have a bad reaction to statins so I can't take them. The miracle for me was Repatha. I give myself a shot every other week and my numbers are the lowest I've ever had in my entire life. 

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

16 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

I have not tried supplements for cholesterol.  I try to just get enough in my everyday diet. On days that I feel like it may be low I try to eat an extra steak with a few slices of bacon on top of it.  

You don’t have to choke down a steak.  Just double down on bacon.  :)

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Red yeast rice will work, it is a natural statin. If you have prescription coverage a statin will work better and cost you less. I think the directions on the red rice yeast said take two capsules three times a day. That is a lot to remember and a lot of pills The statin I take once a day and it really works.

I took niacin for a couple years, it didn’t do much. I ate a ton of oatmeal and even tried eating it with a tablespoon of cinnamon stirred in. No noticeable effects from any of these. I quit eating red meat, butter, cheese, the only fat I use in anything is EVOO. I tried a product called cholesteroff, it didn’t do a thing for me.

BOOM - that's about everything in a nutshell.

• Thank You 1

14 hours ago, petitepedal said:

Anyone here tried them :dontknow:

I am watching my diet and trying to get exercise...wondering if I should try red yeast rice...or another supplement for healthy cholesterol?

One site says, The recommended dose of red yeast rice is 1,200 mg taken orally twice daily with food. In studies, patients started to see a reduction in cholesterol levels at about 12 weeks.

In general, fruits and veggies are almost all good for lowering bad cholesterol and there are recommended lists here, here, and here.

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, UglyBob said:

I have hereditary high cholesterol and no amount of dietary changes or supplements helped. I also have a bad reaction to statins so I can't take them. The miracle for me was Repatha. I give myself a shot every other week and my numbers are the lowest I've ever had in my entire life. 

I'm on Repatha as well, Started on Praluent, but 2 successive insurance companies wouldn't pay for it.

45 minutes ago, 2Far said:

I'm on Repatha as well, Started on Praluent, but 2 successive insurance companies wouldn't pay for it.

My insurance company tried to switch me to Praluent, but it didn't work as well for me. My numbers went back up so my doctor fought to get me back on Repatha and I've been fine ever since.