Odd holes in ceiling?

ChrisL

56 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Only one?

Good call.  I would suggest an MP5 as your primary entry gun.  Small, compact, automatic.  Squeeze the foregrip and the light comes on.  9mm round hopefully won't penetrate nearly as much around you if you let it eat on full auto.  Of course you will want a handgun on your side as backup and probably a 12 gauge with a sling over your shoulder.  

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

18 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Good call.  I would suggest an MP5 as your primary entry gun.  Small, compact, automatic.  Squeeze the foregrip and the light comes on.  9mm round hopefully won't penetrate nearly as much around you if you let it eat on full auto.  Of course you will want a handgun on your side as backup and probably a 12 gauge with a sling over your shoulder.  

Isn't the general advice "Fire. Kill it with fire"????  Seems like we're missing an opportunity to really test that advice. :scratchhead:

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Isn't the general advice "Fire. Kill it with fire"????  Seems like we're missing an opportunity to really test that advice. :scratchhead:

I don't hate this plan at all.  But if we're going that route maybe we should just do the Jesse Ventura "painless" thing?

Best Predator Blain Minigun GIFs | Gfycat

SUSPICIOUS TUMBLR — Predator credits (John McTiernan, 1987)

2 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

Will that kill a demagorgon?

A topic of this significance should be pinned to the top of the forum. Also we should keep a close eye open for white supremecysts who try to infiltrate. And the reliculous nuts who see spiritual beings in the damage and are keeping vigil watching for the four oarsmen.

1 minute ago, donkpow said:

A topic of this significance should be pinned to the top of the forum. Also we should keep a close eye open for white supremecysts who try to infiltrate. And the reliculous nuts who see spiritual beings in the damage and are keeping vigil watching for the four oarsmen.

Are you drunk?

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Speaking of which, has anyone heard from Chris since we confirmed he as a demagorgon living in his attic??? :frantics:

No.  Well I guess we'll never fond out the answer to the puzzling holes.

Sucks to be us.

15 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

OK so an update:

There is drywall along the inside of the roof where the common wall is for fire code.  A big section of the dry wall came down, probably in chunks causing the two holes.   
So in a nutshell falling drywall caused the holes.  

The engineering firm believes it’s due to settling as the drywall is dry and recommends the dry wall is resecured & replaced to be compliant with fire code. 
D9FB9CEE-7783-4E58-B1A4-C99CF7E18843.thumb.jpeg.98b3f4d4ac026d47b23d9ad2b8b413f0.jpeg

that is kinda anti climactic. 

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

The engineering firm believes it’s due to settling as the drywall is dry and recommends the dry wall is resecured & replaced to be compliant with fire code. 

Let's be 100% clear: engineers are a bunch of Karen's, and fire code, schmire code! Suckers follow the rules. Tough guys live without fear!

big span on those rafters.  Not enough support for the drywall so it bowed and then failed I bet.  Do you get seismic activity?   They need to add some bracing between rafters to better secure the drywall and maybe use some sort of washer to increase surface area of the fastener heads.

• Heart 3

29 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

The engineering firm believes it’s due to settling as the drywall is dry

I can see how one might come to that conclusion.

To me the picture brings some additional insights:

The sheetrock that fell left the nails/screws in the rafters and bits of sheetrock around the nails (red circles).  That means the nails didn't pull out, but the sheetrock was too heavy to be supported by the combined surface area of all the nail heads.  In short, the sheetrock weight pulled the nail heads through the sheetrock.  This happened because the span between the rafters (red line) is too great.  To keep this from happening again, the sheet rock should be installed with a greater number of nails/screws.  It's also possible the installer punched the screws too deep into the sheetrock, thus weakening it and setting up the failure.

They could also put strips over the sheetrock along the lines where it's nailed to help spread out the load, but I doubt there's a UL listed fire rated assembly for that type of construction.

Each of the penetrations through the sheetrock should have a fire rated assembly around it.  The pipe going through the sheetrock (orange square) looks like there's just a hole cut in the sheetrock where the pipe passes.  Unless this hole is filled with a fire rated assembly, any fire will simply bypass the whole 'fire wall' construction, rendering it useless.  Example of an assembly:

Capture.JPG.630d709b93108c7d17ab66df86b39cad.JPG

Lastly it appears the workmanship wasn't the best quality - evidenced by the sheetrock tape peeling (yellow ovals).

Capture.JPG.5f91c6e68cefb5d6a3e3489a181f2ca4.JPG

• Thank You 1
  • Awesome 1

36 minutes ago, jsharr said:

big span on those rafters.  Not enough support for the drywall so it bowed and then failed I bet.  Do you get seismic activity?   They need to add some bracing between rafters to better secure the drywall and maybe use some sort of washer to increase surface area of the fastener heads.

Do we get seismic activity he says!?!? 😂

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I can see how one might come to that conclusion.

To me the picture brings some additional insights:

The sheetrock that fell left the nails/screws in the rafters and bits of sheetrock around the nails (red circles).  That means the nails didn't pull out, but the sheetrock was too heavy to be supported by the combined surface area of all the nail heads.  In short, the sheetrock weight pulled the nail heads through the sheetrock.  This happened because the span between the rafters (red line) is too great.  To keep this from happening again, the sheet rock should be installed with a greater number of nails/screws.  It's also possible the installer punched the screws too deep into the sheetrock, thus weakening it and setting up the failure.

They could also put strips over the sheetrock along the lines where it's nailed to help spread out the load, but I doubt there's a UL listed fire rated assembly for that type of construction.

Each of the penetrations through the sheetrock should have a fire rated assembly around it.  The pipe going through the sheetrock (orange square) looks like there's just a hole cut in the sheetrock where the pipe passes.  Unless this hole is filled with a fire rated assembly, any fire will simply bypass the whole 'fire wall' construction, rendering it useless.  Example of an assembly:

Capture.JPG.630d709b93108c7d17ab66df86b39cad.JPG

Lastly it appears the workmanship wasn't the best quality - evidenced by the sheetrock tape peeling (yellow ovals).

Capture.JPG.5f91c6e68cefb5d6a3e3489a181f2ca4.JPG

in summary, the builders figgered the place would burn to the ground before anyone noticed the awful sheetrock job.  At least they had a plan

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

OK so an update:

There is drywall along the inside of the roof where the common wall is for fire code.  A big section of the dry wall came down, probably in chunks causing the two holes.   
So in a nutshell falling drywall caused the holes.  

D9FB9CEE-7783-4E58-B1A4-C99CF7E18843.thumb.jpeg.98b3f4d4ac026d47b23d9ad2b8b413f0.jpeg

This looks like the closing scene to the Blair Witch Project. Just before the camera goes black.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

This looks like the closing scene to the Blair Witch Project. Just before the camera goes black.

It wasn’t that creepy up there. That and the engineer was up there shining his light.  The demons would have gotten him first!