Do you ever use a U-lock

Longjohn

Since I have been hanging with Nancy I have been spending a lot of time in the cities. I notice city people lock their bikes. The most common way I see is with a big ass U-lock through the Down tube, front wheel, and bike rack. 
I have a U-lock I picked up on clearance years ago. I thought I might want to take it on my ride next week. Heck no, that thing weighs a ton. I’ll bring my cable lock and hope for the best. There is safety in numbers. If a bunch of us ride into town we will watch out for each other’s stuff. 
I got an email showing the routes we will be taking. They are only showing an average elevation gain of about 1,000 feet a day. That should be easy if it is spread out. 1,000 feet at 8% or more all at once is a bit tougher.

• Heart 2

11 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Since I have been hanging with Nancy I have been spending a lot of time in the cities. I notice city people lock their bikes. The most common way I see is with a big ass U-lock through the Down tube, front wheel, and bike rack. 
I have a U-lock I picked up on clearance years ago. I thought I might want to take it on my ride next week. Heck no, that thing weighs a ton. I’ll bring my cable lock and hope for the best. There is safety in numbers. If a bunch of us ride into town we will watch out for each other’s stuff. 
I got an email showing the routes we will be taking. They are only showing an average elevation gain of about 1,000 feet a day. That should be easy if it is spread out. 1,000 feet at 8% or more all at once is a bit tougher.

I used to have one plus a 3/4" thick steel cable that I wound through the front wheel, springs under my saddle and rack.

It was mainly for when I left my bike on a bike rack on the back of my old Ford Taurus and went shopping before or after a ride.  I can fit my entire bike in my Honda Fit so I didn't replace the lock and cable lost in the house fire - that State Farm paid for.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Then what do you use, a combination lock?  I dread forgetting the combination numbers ... 

How hard is your birthday to remember? 0617 or whatever.  Or you loved one's birthday? We have several combination cable locks with the same combo. They work great for around here where you are in and out and there is no real "break locks & steal bikes" theft.  In the city, if I was leaving my bike for the whole day outside?  Definitely a U-lock with the wheels all secured too, and some sort of way to protect the saddle.  But I likely would NEVER do that with my bikes.

11 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I haven’t used a U-lock since the lock picking craze swept through. Was it a bic pen that was used to pick them?

Yeah, that was fun for those folks :D  Current ones use more regular keys.  I think anyone who wants your bike enough to learn how to pick a lock will instead use the much more common and quick ways thieves use nowadays like bolt cutters, freeze/smash, angle grinders, etc..  The vids you see of various lock reviews basically seem to be "takes 10 seconds to defeat" up to "takes a minute to defeat".  Ain't no one beating a determined and experienced bike thief with just a lock.  

There is a YouTube video for just about every style lock. For the lockboxes that some Realtors use with spinning combo like the bike cable above, I use a narrow shim cut from a coke can and insert between the dials. Able to feel the notch for each dial and line them up. When lined up will be out of position but correct order so keeping order, move each dial two numbers to line up with the release.

Also learned how to use tumbler picks via YouTube.

• Heart 1

I have a thin cable lock good enough to keep an honest person honest. I only use it on multi-day tours.

I have done things like loosening up the skewers or using my helmet straps to prevent someone from just jumping on the bike when going into a store if I'm worried about the area.

1 minute ago, JerrySTL said:

I have a thin cable lock good enough to keep an honest person honest. I only use it on multi-day tours.

I have done things like loosening up the skewers or using my helmet straps to prevent someone from just jumping on the bike when going into a store if I'm worried about the area.

Yep.  I also have done the "shift to a super easy gear WITHOUT pedaling", so if someone hopped on and tried to ride away, it would seize up and even if they got it to shift, they'd be spinning out.  Not a true deterrent, but an extra layer of simple precaution.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Yep.  I also have done the "shift to a super easy gear WITHOUT pedaling", so if someone hopped on and tried to ride away, it would seize up and even if they got it to shift, they'd be spinning out.  Not a true deterrent, but an extra layer of simple precaution.

Good tip. I never thought of that one!

11 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Might be hard on a carbon fiber bike frame. And dangerous in a crash.:biker:

But it will take out one more bad guy. My titanium frame could probably take it. Some explosives take a whole lot of impact to go off, they need an ignition source (sparks from angle grinder).

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Right, therefore I don’t lock my road bike and discourage my son from locking his bike outdoors at school.

Which is why I use a cable combination that can be picked in an minute.  They see it and move on to the unlocked bike

Walking around the city, there's plenty of stripped frames locked to racks.

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

But it will take out one more bad guy. My titanium frame could probably take it. Some explosives take a whole lot of impact to go off, they need an ignition source (sparks from angle grinder).

Or you could pack your seat tube with explosive, and carry a remote detonator. As soon as the thief was far enough for your safety….

• Awesome 1