Your favourite way to eat greens?

Ralphie
Go to solution Solved by Airehead,

I think mine might be in a lentil soup, maybe with ham.  They are pretty good plain, but just a tad short of being enough flavour.  I used to soak them with vinegar when I was a kid but now that sort of ruins the taste for me.  Frank's Red Hot Seasoning Blend kicks them up a notch so that is nice.  Scallions and serranos just did not complement them.  I know lots of people like to cook things like broccoli raab with garlic but to me that also sort of takes over the flavor of the greens.  I love garlic in an Italian  pasta dish - that to me is where it belongs.  The right barbecue joint will have collard greens that are excellent, so maybe pork fat is the answer!

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

No favorite way.  That's like asking, "What is your favorite way to fall off your bike?"  :(

Rolling like a ball on as cushiony a surface as possible, like soft non-thorny bushes. :D

And Furthermore, from a very slow speed with no traffic or onlookers.

Superman would be one of the least favourite.  Brick wall or truck also.

• Heart 1

I got turned in to greens while in the south.  Usually cooked with a ham hock and a tad of heat.

I grew up eating cooked kale mashed in with potato & onion seasoned with the drippings of fried pork chops.  I often add some chicken stock for more flavor.  You can serve the chops with it or cut them up & add them to the mash which is how I like it.  A good sausage works well instead of pork chop too.

• Awesome 2

I rarely do boiled veggie dish... except for soup.  ie. squash soup is a different technique of sauteeing cubes, before adding veggie consomme, etc.

I do tend to lightly stir fry..there's a certain amount of water which the flavours with soy sauce, makes the 'sauce' easily.  To me greens...is alot of different  types of Asian greens plus broccoli, asparagus, etc.

On 6/18/2022 at 12:37 PM, Philander Seabury said:

I think mine might be in a lentil soup, maybe with ham.  They are pretty good plain, but just a tad short of being enough flavour.  I used to soak them with vinegar when I was a kid but now that sort of ruins the taste for me.  Frank's Red Hot Seasoning Blend kicks them up a notch so that is nice.  Scallions and serranos just did not complement them.  I know lots of people like to cook things like broccoli raab with garlic but to me that also sort of takes over the flavor of the greens.  I love garlic in an Italian  pasta dish - that to me is where it belongs.  The right barbecue joint will have collard greens that are excellent, so maybe pork fat is the answer!

I make a number of soups that usually involve celery, carrots, and onions plus other things like butternut squash, fennel, Brussels sprouts, and often 8-16 oz of frozen veggies for soup for variety.

If I'm just going to put greens on a plate as a side dish, butter, salt and pepper usually work for me.

21 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I rarely do boiled veggie dish... except for soup.  ie. squash soup is a different technique of sauteeing cubes, before adding veggie consomme, etc.

I do tend to lightly stir fry..there's a certain amount of water which the flavours with soy sauce, makes the 'sauce' easily.  To me greens...is alot of different  types of Asian greens plus broccoli, asparagus, etc.

@shootingstartell me about your soy sauce. What do you prefer? Chinese only or do you have regional preferences? I bought Silver Swan (Filipino) for the Pancit I made. There are as many varieties as there is whisky. Dark, light, heavy, etc. I imagine you prefer a light style to not overwhelm the vegetables/protein.