TV's all-time greatest dads

Road Runner

Cheese would argue with you about Andy.  He mentioned how Andy always seemed to believe the worst about Opie even though he was a good kid.  Like the time Andy punished Opie because he gave the least amount of money to the class charity drive because he wanted to buy a girl a gift instead.  Turns out the girl was poor and needed a coat, but Andy never gave Opie a chance to explain.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Cheese would argue with you about Andy.  He mentioned how Andy always seemed to believe the worst about Opie even though he was a good kid.  Like the time Andy punished Opie because he gave the least amount of money to the class charity drive because he wanted to buy a girl a gift instead.  Turns out the girl was poor and needed a coat, but Andy never gave Opie a chance to explain.

Andy wasn't perfect, but he only wanted for Opie to be the best he could be.  He may have made mistakes, but his actions were solely a result of his love and concern for his son.  He tried to do what he thought was good for Opie, in the long run.  And when he did make mistakes, he always admitted it and humbly apologized.  He was a great dad. 

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

Andy wasn't perfect, but he only wanted Opie to be the best he could be.  He may have made mistakes, but his actions were solely a result of his love and concern for his son.  He only tried to do what he thought was good for Opie, in the long run.  And when he did make mistakes, he always admitted it and humbly apologized.  He was a great dad. 

This is true.  But for me, he makes top 4.  :) 

• Heart 1

Then Cheese would point out the Mr McBeevee episode where Andy didn't believe Opie when he talked about seeing a guy who walked in the treetops  until Andy finally met him.  He just didn't put much faith in Opie (according to Cheese).

Just now, Kirby said:

Then Cheese would point out the Mr McBeevee episode where Andy didn't believe Opie when he talked about seeing a guy who walked in the treetops  until Andy finally met him.  He just didn't put much faith in Opie (according to Cheese).

Andy just thought Opie was letting his imagination run wild.  He was concerned that Opie was confusing reality with fantasy.  It didn't help that Barney was also there and giving Andy child-rearing advice.  :angry:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Further said:

A dad doesn’t have to be perfect 

He just has to be there and do his best 

Very true. Still....I can't relate to any of the above dads. I guess immigrant dads haven't made it big in Hollywood or in Canada on national tv show,  until last 5 yrs. or so.  If that.  I'm not being politically correct at all:  The demographic reality is spreading wider in the past 30 years across North America.  What Kim's Convenience means to me | CBC Comedy

There's a reason why this show was incredibly popular among Asian diaspora across North America...... Still this dad wasn't quite like my dad.  My dad was a more soft-spoken, discreet kinda  guy.

image.png.743d2b1869729db75ba5aace2c933ea2.png

• Heart 1

When I saw the thread title I immediately thought of Ward Cleaver and Andy Taylor.

Steven Douglas (Fred MacMurray) in My Three Sons is another great dad. A couple great dads in Westerns are Lucas McCain in The Rifleman and Ben Cartwright in Bonanza.

A bunch of those 50's - early 60's shows had near perfect fathers, as in Father Knows Best and the Danny Thomas Show.

I liked the flaws they showed in some later fathers like Tom Bradford, played by Tom Van Patten, in Eight is Enough.  Some of the BBC shows have fathers who do their best to rise above their flaws and come across as REAL fathers, like poor but hardworking Robert Timmins, played by Brendan Coyle, in Larkrise to Candleford, who has a lot to do with the honesty, responsibility, and caring nature of his daughter Laura, the main character, who goes from the poor, small, farmworkers village of Larkrise to work in the Post Office her mother's cousin owns in the town Candleford in the late 1800's.