Yay or Nay?

Razors Edge

...and how do you think you "dry" their merino jersey if you can't leave it wet?

Machine Wash Cold (Max 30°C-86F) With Little Neutral Soap And Delicate Spin Cycle (Max 800 Rpm), Do No Leave Wet, Do Not Bleach, Do Not Dry Clean, Do Not Iron, Do Not Tumble Dry

salvarani-pink-merino-jersey.jpg

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah on the MTB. Getting your fingers thwacked by branches & bushes is no bueno.  

I have several sets of full finger gloves - which are good for MTB but also as the weather gets cooler.  It's more the leather bit that is both interesting and prohibitive.  In my crash, the non-leather (faux leather?) bits shredded and provided no appreciable protection to my hands :(  I was wondering if leather was actually reasonable to wear - especially in warmer weather and with limits on washing them.

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I have several sets of full finger gloves - which are good for MTB but also as the weather gets cooler.  It's more the leather bit that is both interesting and prohibitive.  In my crash, the non-leather (faux leather?) bits shredded and provided no appreciable protection to my hands :(  I was wondering if leather was actually reasonable to wear - especially in warmer weather and with limits on washing them.

When I hit the deer at 30mph on a downhill I was wearing leather ski gloves and my hands were about the only parts of my body without road rash or broken bones.

They are hard to text in.

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Mr. Beanz said:

Twice the work.

I just wash mine then hang to air dry for the next ride. Saving energy too without the use of a dryer. 😄

Yep - we do a dark load with a bunch of my bike stuff, and about half gets hung up (shorts, jerseys, gloves) and the dryer gets a break from the work :)  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I wore leather gloves a lot back in the day and sometimes in the summer. They are not ideal in heat but they offer added protection that made them worth it.  I don’t know, my full finger gloves are kinda hot so I don’t know that leather gloves would be much worse.  If they were reasonably priced I’d try them.

Just now, ChrisL said:

I wore leather gloves a lot back in the day and sometimes in the summer. They are not ideal in heat but they offer added protection that made them worth it.  I don’t know, my full finger gloves are kinda hot so I don’t know that leather gloves would be much worse.  If they were reasonably priced I’d try them.

I'm more in the "do I really want something I hopefully won't need for another 20 years or so of riding?" category.  They're much more expensive, but it is more the comfort in warm temps that makes me totally hesitant.  I think they would have done a great job in my crash - especially the full finger ones - but my goal is to avoid having another crash anytime soon.

• Heart 1

I've seen some rumble cycling gloves on ebay,  the ones with hard knuckle formed material. 

I  also at a place that made police equipment,  Kevlar vests, riot gloves years ago. Could have gotten the rumble gloves for free but didn't have any place to wear them other than the bike trail. 😄

If you need gloves, I would go for the full-finger ones.

Personally, I like the really thin ones: they're enough to keep my hands warm when cycling 20 mph (slightly downhill!) in 40 degree weather and you can pick up a dime with them.  I don't go cycling in really cold weather.

I've got Pearl Izumi Thermal Lite gloves, that I also use for driving gloves when the steering wheel is too cold:

image.png.0262b761ba8f35f16ad723510f221eb3.png