Georgia survival tip

Allen

I've been wondering how well those evaporative air coolers are that work with water.  If it sends out cool air, where does the heat extracted from it go?

I've been seeing those "Arctic Air Cooler" commercials on TV (Ontel Arctic Air Pure Chill 2.0 on Amazon for $35.99), but when they cut away to the rave customer reviews, they all say they fill the top with ice - so apparently water alone isn't enough. They show people sitting out in their yard with the It cooling them on a hot day, but it only looks big enough to cool Tinkerbell.  It only gets 3 stars out of 5 on Amazon.  They need  bigger fan like yours.

Reading through this thread made me remember working in Ft Myer VA in the summer.  We would use liberal amounts of baby powder to prevent heat rash.  Order of dress: T shirt, dress shirt, socks, wool dress blue pants, Corfram shoes (we would slide a price of paper for insulation as the shoes would get hot enough to blister your toes), Dress Blue jacket, duty belt, white vynal MP hat.  

Then go stand in the VA heat for 8 hours…

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Worked my eight hour shifts in the engine room during the Caribbean summer and then did another four hours in there on watch. We had vent fans the size of a man. I am told the Indian ocean is the worst for that.

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Reading through this thread made me remember working in Ft Myer VA in the summer.  We would use liberal amounts of baby powder to prevent heat rash.  Order of dress: T shirt, dress shirt, socks, wool dress blue pants, Corfram shoes (we would slide a price of paper for insulation as the shoes would get hot enough to blister your toes), Dress Blue jacket, duty belt, white vynal MP hat.  

could you take along a whicker animal full of dry ice and a fan?  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Worked my eight hour shifts in the engine room during the Caribbean summer and then did another four hours in there on watch. We had vent fans the size of a man. I am told the Indian ocean is the worst for that.

Oh man that’s gotta be tough down there in an engine room.  

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

could you take along a whicker animal full of dry ice and a fan?  

Yeah no…

The best assignment for the MP’s was the Mens Room door.  There is a door within the mens room that leads to the Chamber where the Tomb Guards & VIP’s  get ready.  We had to post a guard at the door during ceremonies and of course it’s air conditioned.  Drawing the mens room post would often mean beer money from guys asking to switch.  I only got the mens room once and it was an easy day for sure. 

• Heart 2