Odd things I know

Airehead

While watching the Westminster groups, I realized I know how many bottles of human hair dye it takes to dye a large dog. I have never done this but I have listened to a couple people plan it. 

share an absurd fact that you know, please. 

• Heart 3

20 minutes ago, Airehead said:

@Soylent green?

Color coded durometer (softness) readings of the rubber compound.  Green was the standard till the new blue coded Reactions came along.  

You might be right though as what goes into the rubber is a trade secret.  I clean them with Simple Green between runs and condition the rubber with WD40 during the week.  Drag racing tires are magic and come from secret factories deep underground where they are produced in very limited quantities and distributed to the favored few in small dribs and drabs to maintain a bidding war and high prices.

I buy the leftovers that no one else wants.  :)

• Heart 1

I know that when my childhood hero, Mickey Mantle, filmed the movie "Safe at Home!" with Roger Maris, where they council a boy who runs away from home and ends up at the Yankees Training Camp in Fort Lauderdale, and The Mick tripped over one line and had to do it several times before he got it right: "You can't make a foul ball fair by moving the baseline."

MAybe more interesting, I also know that Plato was the first writer to describe "Atlantis," beginning with the short story, "The Timaeus" where Socrates and Plato meet Timaeus on the streets of Athens and Tim tells them about his grandfather, Solon, who was one of the "Seven Sages of Greece," meeting the Egyptian Priests who tell him, "Solon, Solon, the Greeks are but children," and them telling him about a previous Greek Civilization 9000 years earlier that helped saved the Mediterranean region from being conquered by people from an island called Atlantis that eventually sunk under the sea.  Note that's over 11,000 years ago: about the time last ice age ended and the oceans and seas rose dramatically in height.

I also know that Aristotle, Plato's pupil, said Plato made it all up.

• Awesome 1

The cornea is the only living tissue on the human body without blood vessels.  They get their O2 and nutrients and eliminate waste through tears and the liquid in the eyeball.

The number of torpedoes the US Navy owns is.....    zero.  (They rent them)

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

18 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

I bet they return them in pretty bad condition. :nodhead:

Spokane isn't pronounced like I'd expect,.  It has  a short A sound instead of a long A.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Zephyr said:

The cornea is the only living tissue on the human body without blood vessels.  They get their O2 and nutrients and eliminate waste through tears and the liquid in the eyeball.

That must be why we had such special security on them anytime they were in sight and not locked away.  We couldn't afford to default on the deposit.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2