New Moderna COVID Vaccine including Omicron to be ready by August

MickinMD

I had originally planned to wait for my 2nd booster until September because some studies said the strength of the current boosters fall off in 4-6 months and I wanted to be at top-strength in January when COVID is likely to reach its next peak.

Moderna and Pfizer had both previously said they'd have a new vaccine this Fall that added Omicron to the other variants the old vaccines covered.

Now Moderna says they'll be ready for distribution in August, assuming gov't. approval.

I've had Pfizer for the past 3 shots, but I'll get this one if Pfizer's new vaccine isn't ready by September or if a little research suggests a mix of Pfizer and Moderna is best.

Supposedly, my recent Omicron COVID infection makes me fairly safe for a while and I'm encouraged that my body wiped it out fast without many symptoms, but the fatigue I'm trying to overcome is not pleasant.  I'll take any edge I can get heading into Fall and Winter.

Moderna expects a new COVID-19 vaccine the drugmaker is developing that it says offers protection against the Omicron variant of the virus to be ready for public distribution by August. 

The company has been manufacturing shots of the vaccine, called mRNA-1273.214, ahead of it getting regulatory approval in order to be ready for the fall and winter, when health experts say COVID-19 could flare. 

Clinical trial data shows that the Moderna's so-called bivalent booster vaccine candidate is highly effective against the BA.4 and BA.5 Omicron subvariants of the virus, which Moderna CEO Stéphane Bancel said in a statement "represent an emergent threat to global public health."

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

Clinical trial data shows that the Moderna's so-called bivalent booster vaccine candidate is highly effective against the BA.4 and BA.5 Omicron subvariants of the virus, which Moderna CEO Stéphane Bancel said in a statement "represent an emergent threat to global public health."

This is good news if it works as they say, I didn't like having covid and any edge you can get sounds like the smart choice.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Emergent threat=Boost to bottom line. 

That is exactly what a lot of people said when the initial vaccines were available, many folks didn't get the vaccine because others went out of their way to convince them it was only about the money.   How many people died because they were convinced not to get vaccinated, all because pharmaceutical companies try to make a profit on things they sell?  Shocking!

Were so many people uniformed that companies endeavor to make a profit on products they make?  What kind of professed capitalists fall for that one?

30 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

That is exactly what a lot of people said when the initial vaccines were available, many folks didn't get the vaccine because others went out of their way to convince them it was only about the money.   How many people died because they were convinced not to get vaccinated, all because pharmaceutical companies try to make a profit on things they sell?  Shocking!

Were so many people uniformed that companies endeavor to make a profit on products they make? 

Two years ago the revenues from Covid vaccines were $1000 per second.  You can't overlook the obvious because vaccines are a good thing.  This is a major revenue driver and they will drive it as long as they can.  

9 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Two years ago the revenues from Covid vaccines were $1000 per second.  You can't overlook the obvious because vaccines are a good thing.  This is a major revenue driver and they will drive it as long as they can.  

Maybe we should stop the vaccines.  That'll teach them.

That was the snarky reaction answer.  The real answer involves the probable cost of not paying for those vaccines as the government did.  Might the death toll be 2 times larger, 3, 4, 5?  Would the economy have tanked completely?

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Maybe we should stop the vaccines.  That'll teach them.

I worked for a Pharma company for 10 years Maxx.  I am still good friends with multiple high level execs including two CEO's.  The Pharma companies are all about revenue drivers, not about ensuring public safety. When we get to covid version X they will be planning for X2. 

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

And?  The biggest companies tend to make a lot of money, and they make it at a faster rate than smaller companies.  In a sudden pandemic where there is an urgent need and intense demand from the thinking folks, everyone should expect that people didn't develop a vaccine for free unless they expected to get paid for it.  So they had a lot of revenue during the pandemic, so did Amazon and a bunch of others.  I don't know the pharmaceutical companies revenue figures per second, btw, or Amazon, or Tesla.

I would expect all those idiots that fell for the ivermectin and chloriquine hogwash helped those companies to some really healthy profits, too, but none of the antivaxers ever seemed to squawk about that for some reason.  

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I worked for a Pharma company for 10 years Maxx.  I am still good friends with multiple high level execs including two CEO's.  The Pharma companies are all about revenue drivers, not about ensuring public safety. When we get to covid version X they will be planning for X2. 

Read the edit I made and then calculate the cost to the economy if the government hadn't paid for them.  You can pay them now or we can all pay for it later.

Unless of course you don't believe.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The Pharma companies are all about revenue drivers, not about ensuring public safety. When we get to covid version X they will be planning for X2. 

Ok, but why wouldn't we expect that?  Until there are no more variants or until people stop having bad outcomes from getting covid, that has to be expected.

Just now, Randomguy said:

Ok, but why wouldn't we expect that?  Until there are no more versions or until people stop having bad outcomes from getting covid, that has to be expected.

Pharma companies are about creating a need, rarely are they responding to an actual need.   This case was the latter but they are now pushing it to the former.  That is fine but the cure isn't the motivator, the profit is.  

7 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Pharma companies are about creating a need, rarely are they responding to an actual need.   This case was the latter but they are now pushing it to the former.  That is fine but the cure isn't the motivator, the profit is.  

Ok, but what is the solution?  To not get the booster if the data supports getting it? 

Profiteering is the basis of the economy, you look for gross profit margins that are the highest the market will support.  All the data that I have seen since the vaccines came out showed clearly that the non-vaxxed have statistically and significantly worse outcomes than the vaccinated.  If they make a lot of money whilst helping folks who are getting their product, it seems a normal SOP thing.

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, but what is the solution?  To not get the booster if the data supports getting it? 

Profiteering is the basis of the economy, you look for gross profit margins that are the highest the market will support.  All the data that I have seen since the vaccines came out showed clearly that the non-vaxxed have statistically and significantly worse outcomes than the vaccinated.  If they make a lot of money whilst helping folks who are getting their product, it seems a normal SOP thing.

If you read back, there is no statement that I think we should or should not vaccinate.  People see a smidgen of something that might counter their stance and they straight to battle mode.  I am pro-vcxx, I had 4 Pfizer vaccines and two Moderna boosters.  I had Covid -Alpha before there were vaccines and Delta while vaccinated.  My statement was merely to acknowledge the fact that Pharma CEO's will always scare the public to the trough purely to keep investors happy.