Jump to content

Just as near-speculative: lithium


shootingstar
 Share

Recommended Posts

Well it's not crypto..but nearly close but at least if successful, will get something for real. So several yrs. ago I bought some shares @ just under $3.00 for lithium. I'm sure I might be close to death, before lithium extraction takes off big time. :flirtyeyess:  Maybe it'll fund my last few months of life.

 I want to believe 20,000 tonnes extraction will happen in 5 yrs.

It's an Alberta firm start-up.  A long-standing national oil firm just partnered to invest for the pilot.  Maybe it'll buy up the company in few years. Or everything a big fail or they'll sell the patent, etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I shouldn't be like this.  I'm not 36 yrs. old.  But then back then, I was totally focused on paying off a mortgage and nothing else, money-wise.  Here I am wandering in the ...mining sector. Oh well,  a sector that has some high dips and lows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've got small positions in a lithium mining company and a lithium battery recycling company. Speculation is speculation. Nothing is guaranteed. There will be competition, new legislation, mismanagement, and who knows what else.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

There will be competition, new legislation, mismanagement, and who knows what else.

A LOT of time, money, research, and head-scratching is being done to find other & better alternatives to using lithium for batteries.  If (or when) the alternatives pan out, we can go back to using lithium the way god intended.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

A LOT of time, money, research, and head-scratching is being done to find other & better alternatives to using lithium for batteries.  If (or when) the alternatives pan out, we can go back to using lithium the way god intended.

And more lithium battery fires...one municipality, not sure if it's ours, or another Canadian one, had to respond to 10 different lithium-based battery caused house fires.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've never bought shares so cheap before and probably last firm I'll do it.  It's strange to see it take weird gyrations on 5 cents or 20 cents / share. Or in past 2 years, even drop by $1 dollar. Right now, the big news is causing smurf ball games in the backyard.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I've never bought shares so cheap before and probably last firm I'll do it.  It's strange to see it take weird gyrations on 5 cents or 20 cents / share. Or in past 2 years, even drop by $1 dollar. Right now, the big news is causing smurf ball games in the backyard.

 

It's the nature of "small cap" stocks to fluctuate broadly. They are a bunch of fun to trade. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/23/2022 at 10:35 PM, shootingstar said:

Well it's not crypto..but nearly close but at least if successful, will get something for real. So several yrs. ago I bought some shares @ just under $3.00 for lithium. I'm sure I might be close to death, before lithium extraction takes off big time. :flirtyeyess:  Maybe it'll fund my last few months of life.

 I want to believe 20,000 tonnes extraction will happen in 5 yrs.

It's an Alberta firm start-up.  A long-standing national oil firm just partnered to invest for the pilot.  Maybe it'll buy up the company in few years. Or everything a big fail or they'll sell the patent, etc.

There's going to be a increasingly high need for lithium because of the growth of electric vehicles.  It will likely be a long time before they find a better metal for batteries: Lithium has a high electron affinity and a light weight per atom so it can cause a strong voltage/amps and stored watts in small amounts.

But mining operations are tricky to invest in.  The analysts are NOT chemists and often post lie after lie fed to them by the mining companies.  For example the financial pages were filled with rave reviews of Molycorp, a Rare Earth metals mining company that said it was going to double production.  By there are 15 Rare Earth Elements and the three key ones that fetched very high prices for their use in magnets and computer chips were NOT among the metals Molycorp mined!

I wrote letters to the editor of a few financial papers and sites warning them they were dead wrong about Molycorp, which was borrowing huge amounts of money to double production without guaranteed sales to pay for it.  None of them listened to me.

Molycorp went from $15 to $60 to less than a dollar before it filed for bankruptcy.  Of course, the Wall St. Journal, etc. never apologized for the "information" their uneducated-in-chemistry reporters provided as if it was fact!

So, yeah, Lithium is a big deal and a physical thing worth a lot of money.  But who is going to produce it efficiently remains to be seen.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

There's going to be a increasingly high need for lithium because of the growth of electric vehicles.  It will likely be a long time before they find a better metal for batteries: Lithium has a high electron affinity and a light weight per atom so it can cause a strong voltage/amps and stored watts in small amounts.

But mining operations are tricky to invest in.  The analysts are NOT chemists and often post lie after lie fed to them by the mining companies.  For example the financial pages were filled with rave reviews of Molycorp, a Rare Earth metals mining company that said it was going to double production.  By there are 15 Rare Earth Elements and the three key ones that fetched very high prices for their use in magnets and computer chips were NOT among the metals Molycorp mined!

......................................................................

So, yeah, Lithium is a big deal and a physical thing worth a lot of money.  But who is going to produce it efficiently remains to be seen.

For sure, Mick. That's why small amount invested is better. I actually feel more comfortable with this vs. others I've made which I have to think about which are tanking a bit. 

I'm so glad sold shares and made some money on a legal filing software platform. Since I worked in the sector for over 15 years, and know vaguely what lawyers and legal clerks must do, I knew something was so wrong when the company valuation was going up far  too fast for a niche product.  So I sold on higher end. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

The analysts are NOT chemists and often post lie after lie fed to them by the mining companies. 

My company is Canadian so they wouldn't lie like that. Sure, they don't do any mining or make any money yet but that doesn't mean they are bad. Just Canadian.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, donkpow said:

My company is Canadian so they wouldn't lie like that. Sure, they don't do any mining or make any money yet but that doesn't mean they are bad. Just Canadian.

The company that I bought into a tiny sliver, is being supported by a long-time, well-established Canadian oil and gas company, well-known in Canada. And large % now owned by U.S. Exxon. So methinks the firm, is throwing in a few million into lithium firm for biz partnership ...just case, this turns into something big. HOw do I know about this big firm:  it was the firm dearie worked for.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...