Jump to content

no our city ain't for honeymoonin'


shootingstar
 Share

Recommended Posts

Rather funny.... a local acquaintance was trying to find a local hotel for evening after wedding reception this summer.  They're having problems finding a special place. 

Honest beyond some chain hotels, which some new ones are ok, there are VERY few in pleasant neighbourhood, etc.  Who wants to be out near the airport, unless super desperate/shut-in by a snow blizzard?  Problem is our city can't compete against the mountain hotels/inns....100+ km. away.

Next day they'll  start to drive across Canada as part of honeymoon trip....with 2 sets of families in their convoy of cars.  :D  

So our city was high for Calgary named world's 3rd most liveable city by Economist Intelligence Unit | CBC News  I'm sorry, I don't know how we beat Vancouver. Except our real estate is lower priced. That's it.  This manufactured rating has to be our local tourism board behind all this. Not being disloyal. Just realistic ..after living in VAncouver and Toronto, knowing there are far more interesting accommodations.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe different over there but there are several fine hotels around our airports. Double Tree  Bonaventure . 

I've been to a wedding reception at one of them. Beautiful and no interruptions from the airplanes.

Matter of fact, it was awesome 👌 

  • Thank You 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, shootingstar said:

So our city was high for Calgary named world's 3rd most liveable city by Economist Intelligence Unit | CBC News  I'm sorry, I don't know how we beat Vancouver. Except our real estate is lower priced. That's it.  This manufactured rating has to be our local tourism board behind all this. Not being disloyal. Just realistic ..after living in VAncouver and Toronto, knowing there are far more interesting accommodations.

HA!

You know how folks around here feel about ranking stuff!  Clearly, that 3rd means NOTHING :D

:cheerleader:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

A part of Middleburg VA since 1728. 
 

554D6468-61CF-4D84-A03D-8E727BADA07E.jpeg

Our city architecture is not like that at all. Prairie heritage is flat box-like...at least for homes.  We have some grand homes but they tend to be quite new...ie. last 30 years onward.  It's interesting for myself to have lived for years in 3 different regions of CAnada.  For instance in southern Ontario, heritage lovely homes are reddish brick or partial stone base. Or some gingerbread.  VAncouver's heritage homes looks more like crafts period or otherwise flat. Rest of lovely...might be innovative nouveau....by the ocean.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

HA!

You know how folks around here feel about ranking stuff!  Clearly, that 3rd means NOTHING :D

:cheerleader:

I just find it so laughable that our city beat Vancouver?????  It's only because our real estate is cheaper.  I know what I'm talking about since I lived in Vancouver for 8 yrs. before I started my shuttled/divided life with Calgary.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/24/2022 at 12:07 AM, shootingstar said:

Rather funny.... a local acquaintance was trying to find a local hotel for evening after wedding reception this summer.  They're having problems finding a special place. 

Honest beyond some chain hotels, which some new ones are ok, there are VERY few in pleasant neighbourhood, etc.  Who wants to be out near the airport, unless super desperate/shut-in by a snow blizzard?  Problem is our city can't compete against the mountain hotels/inns....100+ km. away.

Next day they'll  start to drive across Canada as part of honeymoon trip....with 2 sets of families in their convoy of cars.  :D  

So our city was high for Calgary named world's 3rd most liveable city by Economist Intelligence Unit | CBC News  I'm sorry, I don't know how we beat Vancouver. Except our real estate is lower priced. That's it.  This manufactured rating has to be our local tourism board behind all this. Not being disloyal. Just realistic ..after living in VAncouver and Toronto, knowing there are far more interesting accommodations.

I'd rather live in a non-tourist attraction that's a great place to live than one that draws tons of tourists.  I spent two days in Vancouver in 2002.  We arrived the day before we had to board ship for an Inside Passage Alaska Cruise so we could check out everything.  There's a lot to see there.  We loved the Chinese restaurants and the parks along the coast the most.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I'd rather live in a non-tourist attraction that's a great place to live than one that draws tons of tourists.  I spent two days in Vancouver in 2002.  We arrived the day before we had to board ship for an Inside Passage Alaska Cruise so we could check out everything.  There's a lot to see there.  We loved the Chinese restaurants and the parks along the coast the most.

It depends which neighbourhood when one lives in a city that draws sufficient tourists. There are some great liveable neighbourhoods in both VAncouver and Toronto, some are on the edges or further away from tourist areas.  And they are areas quite easily accessible by transit, bike (with cycling infratructure) as well as car...a sign of good neighbourhood design located in key areas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...