Well that took 3 hours -- now I get to get up for a stupid effing class at 8:00 a.m. PST

Dottleshead

I had three services deployed to one remote virtual machine and I needed a way to debug said remote services from my laptop at home. In other words, my local development environment got transferred up to a remote vm server and while I'm happy as heck to get that Mongo database and other services off my workstation in Seattle, the ability not to be able to put a debugger on complex multi-threaded, re-entrant code could have put the whole thing in jeopardy.  While this is fairly straight forward for a new project, I was trying to configure my local IDE to map into an existing git repository -- now located on the remote server.  It turned out to be relatively simple once I got all the mappings correct but getting them correct wasn't trivial using shoddy documentation and multiple ways of doing things and wizards that use default paths that screwed me up.  Bottom line is I spent 3+ hours going through IDE configuration hell to learn how to configure my local IDE to use a remote github repo while automatically uploading the local files i changed in my IDE.  I was worried there I wasn't going to figure it out.

This changes things... in a good way.

So now to play my game and unwind so i can get up in 5 hours and take an Activating Empathy class, you asshats.  There's a joke here somewhere.  Maybe it's the brain behind my fingertips.

• Haha 1

So the readers digest version....

You have 3 programs of some kind running on a remote server.   You need to access the remote server to debug the programs.  It took 3+ hours of hell to figure it out.  You were successful after you had a WTF moment.  :facepalm:

You got to spend 5 hours in an empathy class.     

And now you are completing 'required' training before your certification expires.   

I don't miss any of this work stuff at all.  I feel your pain.    Do I pass the empathy class?

• Awesome 1

3 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

So the readers digest version....

You have 3 programs of some kind running on a remote server.   You need to access the remote server to debug the programs.  It took 3+ hours of hell to figure it out.  You were successful after you had a WTF moment.  :facepalm:

You got to spend 5 hours in an empathy class.     

And now you are completing 'required' training before your certification expires.   

I don't miss any of this work stuff at all.  I feel your pain.    Do I pass the empathy class?

You nailed it!  You passed with flying colors.  I had 9.5 hours of online classes today and need an additional 4 hours sometime over the weekend.  I should be ok now but going down to visit my dad tomorrow so unless I figure out how to get in a class or two tomorrow night -- I've got 4 hours of them on Sunday.  The upside is last night and today were the worst.

• Heart 1

I'm supposed to be watching another 4 hours of training crap that I just can't get into.  For the first time all year, we've been blessed with -- count 'em -- three -- yes THREE! days in a row where the sun is blossoming and the temps are into the 70s and 80s.  Worst Spring I can remember.  Anyway, the point is, it makes it hard to sit behind a computer monitor on a Sunday.  That's tough anytime but especially today...

On 6/24/2022 at 4:00 AM, Dottles said:

I had three services deployed to one remote virtual machine and I needed a way to debug said remote services from my laptop at home. In other words, my local development environment got transferred up to a remote vm server and while I'm happy as heck to get that Mongo database and other services off my workstation in Seattle, the ability not to be able to put a debugger on complex multi-threaded, re-entrant code could have put the whole thing in jeopardy.  While this is fairly straight forward for a new project, I was trying to configure my local IDE to map into an existing git repository -- now located on the remote server.  It turned out to be relatively simple once I got all the mappings correct but getting them correct wasn't trivial using shoddy documentation and multiple ways of doing things and wizards that use default paths that screwed me up.  Bottom line is I spent 3+ hours going through IDE configuration hell to learn how to configure my local IDE to use a remote github repo while automatically uploading the local files i changed in my IDE.  I was worried there I wasn't going to figure it out.

This changes things... in a good way.

So now to play my game and unwind so i can get up in 5 hours and take an Activating Empathy class, you asshats.  There's a joke here somewhere.  Maybe it's the brain behind my fingertips.

My brother and I took an 8-hour, 1-day college course - with a sandwich, chips, and soft drink served in the middle while the course kept going, but it was a lot more fun that tech stuff: "How to Catch Rockfish (Striped Bass) in the Chesapeake Bay," taught by a local fishing legend, Bill Burton, who had a newspaper column in the Baltimore Sun and the Annapolis Evening Capital and the Maryland Gazette.

We covered everything from where to toss your line over the side to what depth and direction to troll a line and when to go chumming.

Bill asked each of us what equipment we had and what was the reason we were taking this class, so that he could cover everything we wanted.  One guy said the reason he was taking the class was because he was tired of spending $100 a pound to catch rockfish, the fish delicacy of the Chesapeake.

We learned a lot of useful stuff, from how to rig out trolling lines to where and what direction to troll in and it paid off until gasoline went from $1.50 on the Bay to $5.00 in 2008: we typically burned up 50-60 gallons during a long day of trolling in our 21' boat with a 210 HP V6 inboard/outboard motor and drive.