How does SWC fit into your life? 

Dottleshead

How do you use this SWC forum?  I use it when I want to break up my tunnel vision at work.  I use it when I'm winding down for the day and feel like posting blather.  I also use it in the mornings when I don't have any direction in the day.  But no doubt it has become a fixture in my life -- for better or worse.

• Heart 1

Just a place to hang out when I have loose time. Like right now. I just finished a 45 km. bike trip and also did some grocery shopping. Having tea to hydrate myself before heading out again in a different direction, closer to home.  The day is blindingly brilliant blue sky and perfect.

I also am curious since there are folks here from different areas of life. 

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, Further said:

It is a way bigger part of my life than an Internet forum should be 

We probably provide a wierd variety that's quite different than your normal in-person social circles. The predominant male lens and kiddin' around at times, makes it different than predominant women's group. I've participated in all women's cycling internet forum for about 8 yrs. We didn't spend time kiddin'  each other in that forum....I think alot women who don't know each other well, don't play word pranks / jokes on each other or being sarcastic at each other/make fun of other person.

A strong, close and long-time, friendship between women is not about kiddin' each other or joking alot. (Not what I've observed /experienced.). It is highly supportive verbally and in actions. Maybe that's why women might live a bit longer than men.  I say this as someone with great friends...and also raised with several sisters.

For sure, this group, is different from my range of social circles in-person. My work group to me, I would put as more restrained in their self-expression and tastes. I probably more flamboyant in describing things/use of imagery than work colleagues. It's very deliberate by me, to spur them to rethink an issue.

My friends and casual acquaintances, are genuinely thoughtful folks, love to talk and learn about wide range of topics, do a certain amount of reading on their own... yes, they each do engage in some sort long-time exercise over the years. Of course, some topics we talk about are highly personal and complex/controversial....which is why I value dialogue with them.  

• Heart 3

In person social interaction takes planning, effort and at times, pretence depending on the group.   This is easy.  You get to socialize on your schedule with some great people and I don't have to make plan, tidy up or get dressed to do so.  :)  This is the easy button of social interaction.  There is still judgement here but you can put those "family members" in the penalty box if needed.   This is a good way to still feel a part of a community when travelling the globe. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

I try to balance being present with my family & poking around here.  If I’m here I usually don’t have anything else going.  I also have down time at work where I’m monitoring more so than doing so it passes the time during slow periods.

I enjoy the group dynamic, banter & occasional cycling talk. 

• Heart 2

When @UglyBob was at my house we tried to explain this site to other people there and they just weren’t getting it. This place is lightning in a bottle of people with a common interest that isn’t even the primary thing we talk about! Several of you have become very special people who affect me even if we’ve never met. Meeting people from here just makes them all the more special. 

• Heart 2
  • Hugs 1

23 minutes ago, groupw said:

When @UglyBob was at my house we tried to explain this site to other people there and they just weren’t getting it. This place is lightning in a bottle of people with a common interest that isn’t even the primary thing we talk about! Several of you have become very special people who affect me even if we’ve never met. Meeting people from here just makes them all the more special. 

I can't imagine trying to explain much about this forum in terms of dynamics.  I do explain there aren't many women on the forum. Only a few. It's more than a cycling forum, it's a hang-out for casual guff.  Methinks that we do occasionally drift back and forth from cycling or  to a whole pile of other unrelated stuff, reflects reality of bigger life. Cycling is important for various reasons but not our total focus in life.  If you don't cycle at the time, you're still a cool person. You're accepted and no less of a bud.

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, groupw said:

Yeah, that's the thing about this place. There really is no explanation that anyone would understand.

• Heart 3