I am building a Hi-Fi

Allen

13 minutes ago, Allen said:

The reason I’m putting speakers in buckets is for prototyping purposes. First I’m making sure the parts work together, then I’ll build proper enclosures. 

Did you install the lids on the bucket?   Then it becomes a sealed unit and you should get better bass response. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Allen said:

The ceiling panels in the image will stay on the screened porch.  But yes, the system I’m prototyping is for the basement. 

I will expect good music and fine photographs when I next return to Springwood. 

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Allen said:

Right now it’s running a pair of 97db, 120-2600 watt, 8” woofers,

@Airehead     The 97db is a measure of sound pressure level for a speaker using 1 watt of power.   The 120-2600 watt is the power the speaker can safely absorb when being driven by an amplifier.  The woofers are for low frequency bass sounds.  

Sound pressure levels are on a  logarithmic scale measured it db (decibels)

Sensory Guide

1 hour ago, Allen said:

and a pair of 40 watt exciters.

@Allen is using flat panel electrostatic speakers for the midrange and high frequency sounds.   The electro static speakers use exciters to produce the sound.

1 hour ago, Allen said:

The woofers are sensitive enough that volume is not an issue. 

The woofer and exciters can have different sound pressure levels since they use different technology to produce sound.   The woofers could be to loud, or too quiet, compared to the electro static speakers. 

A crossover circuit can change the frequency range and in some cases the power to the speakers.   It sends the low frequency (the bass) sound to the woofer and mid range and high frequency to the electrostatic speaker.   

The sound pressure level needs to be matched, so the woofer is not too loud or too quite when compared to the electrostatic speaker. 

Apparently Allen as the crossover setup correctly and when playing music all the speakers working together sounds OK.

Or just go with Allen's explanation. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

I said I tend to let projects spiral out a bit….

I bought extra exciters because they are cheap and a spare parts bin is always handy. Well, I got to staring at this old cooler, and that little 50 watt Bluetooth amp sitting on the lid cost $12 (I don’t understand how that is possible but I’m taking advantage of it). 

Anyhow, it works, the Stereo/Cooler sounds fine and loud enough for boat use. 
Next is to scavenge a battery pack and battery receiver from the cheapest 24 volt drill Harbor Freight has in stock so it doesn’t have to be plugged into the wall. 

36751346-16D8-4EE3-81DD-A7270ADD2537.jpeg

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2

1 hour ago, Allen said:

When you plug something in and it sparks and emits a puff of blue smoke is bad, right?

On a side note super cheap Fosi amps are better than super cheap Wuzhi amps. 

The capacitors can only hold so much smoke. Once it’s gone, it’s gone…

• 2 weeks later...

Firing up the speakers tomorrow.

I’m bailing on the Elkit amp. I have more room than it can fill on less than super sensitive speakers that I’m not shelling out for. Bought this (Willsenton R8) instead for half the price of the Elkit. It  was delivered 15 minutes before I had to go to work this evening.

2E6DAD9E-3637-4082-A0EC-97FBA7B4F974.jpeg

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

49 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Your employer must be thrilled to have you. 

Before she upped my salary I was 7 on 3 off. 105 hour weeks was more than I cared to do; I was looking for new work. So she upped the salary and downed the hours, and I cover the hard to staff hours such as weekend nights. 

• Awesome 1

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Allen said:

Any recommendations on cartridge upgrades?

It's been decades since I purchsed a cartridge.  I'd have to do a lot of research to answer.     I have a (now antique) Stanton 881S that I purchased a LONG time ago.  (I had to look)   At the time it was a great cartridge, and it still works.    I used the Google... it looks like Stanton doesn't make cartages any more.  :(

image.thumb.jpeg.682c7369b8405449a2ea65fdb07657ad.jpeg

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

With the way those speakers look, you are going to have all the cool aliens showing up at your house, wanting you to install a set for them.

Or me nagging him to get back in the dark room and work. 

• Awesome 1