My opioid experience

Road Runner

Meh.

I got a prescription for some hydrocodone pills when I got a root canal several months ago.  I never had any significant pain, so I never took any of the pills at that time.  But I saved them just in case.  Today, I was having the worst back pain I have ever had.  I could hardly walk, if you call my bent over shuffling that I was doing "walking".  Anyway, it was so bad I began to consider going to the ER.  But then I thought maybe I should give the opioid pills a try.  I had read and heard a lot of horror tales about people being prescribed opioids and getting hooked on them almost immediately.  A bit scary but I just said WTF and took one.  Results..., nothing.  I think I started to sweat some, but other than that, no effect.  And no "drug high" or anything resembling it.  The pain and my tolerance for it was completely unaffected.  

Maybe the pharmacy slipped me some fake pills and pocketed the real opioids for themselves.  Whatever, these things do nothing for me.  Good thing I didn't have any real root canal pain because this prescription would have been useless.     

• Sad 3
  • Hugs 1

4 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

So, does anyone else here any any experience with hydrocodone?  Just curious to see if you found them effective against pain and/or how much they affected you mentally, if at all.

:mellow:

They make me itch and do nothing for pain. 

• Hugs 1

I had a root canal and a pulled tooth last month.   All I got was a prescription for Tylenol. 

I took one on the way home just in case. But never felt any kind of pain so I passed. Even went riding the next day. 😄

Friday extraction and Saturday ride. 

20220513_173903.jpg

20220515_082544.jpg

Oh yeah,  they called me on Friday.  I can pick up my replacement tooth on Monday. 😁

• Heart 1

I think I had oxycontin  for my shoulder..took the first one when I thought the block was wearing off...it wasn't.   2 days later I took one at night. Took one the next morning and proceeded to toss my cookies a little while later. Said F- this and promptly went back to My tylenol.. slept off the oxi..and tried to keep up with the Tylenol...

I had a really infected tooth that was causing me a lot of pain.  The dentist prescribed a opioid (forget which one) and it really whacked me out but did help the pain.  I told my dentist I couldn’t take those pills so he prescribed me RX Tylenol (Tylenol 3?). That helped the pain & didn’t make me loopy. 

I had my nose fixed and throat surgery at the same time.  Ouchy.  I usually try to tough it out, but it was a lot of pain.  They sent me home with Percocet.  I took one, nothing, a couple hours later I took a second and started throwing up.  Pretty mu the opposite of what I wanted with the throat surgery.

The doc told me lots of people have reactions, sometimes allergic reactions, and I should not take it.

The fact that you started to sweat is concerning.

Sorry about that pain.

Sorry about your back - hope it feels better soon. 

I'm pretty sure I was prescribed hydrocodone (if not, some other variation) after my thyroid surgery in 2016. Think I took 2 of the pills - I would say they did help with pain from the hole they cut in my neck, but I had bizarre dreams and woke up really disoriented (and not in a good way ;)). Not for me - from then on I took ibuprofen if I needed something. 

• Hugs 1

3 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

Sorry about your back - hope it feels better soon. 

I'm pretty sure I was prescribed hydrocodone (if not, some other variation) after my thyroid surgery in 2016. Think I took 2 of the pills - I would say they did help with pain from the hole they cut in my neck, but I had bizarre dreams and woke up really disoriented (and not in a good way ;)). Not for me - from then on I took ibuprofen if I needed something. 

I think hydrocodone was one of the drugs I had when they removed my kidney.  I had dreams that I was flying and watching people while I flew above them.  Every time I took the drug, I had the same dream.

• Heart 1