So do you think the Germans are happy that the Russians are now the main villains, or

Ralphie

On 6/26/2022 at 8:32 AM, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I'd wager half the German population has little or no knowledge of the events of WWII, and would be unaware of the context of Russians supplanting Germans as 'villains'.

I've had German exchange students at Old Mill High School.  I'll wager almost all of them know a lot about WW2 and were taught how bad the Nazis were.

The East Germans and East Berliners were treated more like victims than villains by the 1960's, but there were still worries that Germany might strong rebuild its military someday. A major part of the reason for American, British, French, and Soviet troops in Germany for decades wasn't to protect NATO from the Soviet Union and vice-versa, it was to protect the world from a rearmed Germany.  Supposedly, President Ford got Breshnev and the Soviets to sign the SALT II Accords in the 70's by threatening to pull foreign NATO troops out of West Germany.  The Soviets did NOT want to see a strongly militarized Germany.

Note that Germany is building up its military now, but it has had democracy for 3/4 of a century and is a lot more stable politically than the USA is.

2 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I've had German exchange students at Old Mill High School.  I'll wager almost all of them know a lot about WW2 and were taught how bad the Nazis were.

The East Germans and East Berliners were treated more like victims than villains by the 1960's, but there were still worries that Germany might strong rebuild its military someday. A major part of the reason for American, British, French, and Soviet troops in Germany for decades wasn't to protect NATO from the Soviet Union and vice-versa, it was to protect the world from a rearmed Germany.  Supposedly, President Ford got Breshnev and the Soviets to sign the SALT II Accords in the 70's by threatening to pull foreign NATO troops out of West Germany.  The Soviets did NOT want to see a strongly militarized Germany.

Note that Germany is building up its military now, but it has had democracy for 3/4 of a century and is a lot more stable politically than the USA is.

I don't know.  Last time I was in Nuremberg I had a local tell me there was no holocaust and the US started WW2. 

14 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I don't know.  Last time I was in Nuremberg I had a local tell me there was no holocaust and the US started WW2. 

Curious if that was a younger or older person.

I have seen first hand my uncle & cousins swear under their breath and make rude comments about Germans.  I asked them if it was carry over from the war & they said they really don’t like their attitude towards the Dutch and yeah to an extent carry over resentment from the war.

I worked with an older German Immigrant in the early 1990’s and this guy was in his 70’s so was alive during WWII.  When I asked him about the holocaust he said it was all lies & propaganda by the Jews and regarding Holland he said they were just helping their Arian brothers out.  By bombing their cities & starving their people? Didn’t happen….

OK dude live in your pretend world… 

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I knew I could count on you when the going got tough! 

I remember when my wife was in college she took a history class & was on WWII.  Apparently she bombed a test and wasn’t too pleased.  She then asked, so who the F bombed Pearl Harbor if not us?  Uh Pearl Harbor is a US base, why would we bomb our own ships?  

Did I ever mention she crushed math & majored in accounting? 😂

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I have seen first hand my uncle & cousins swear under their breath and make rude comments about Germans.  I asked them if it was carry over from the war & they said they really don’t like their attitude towards the Dutch and yeah to an extent carry over resentment from the war.

I worked with an older German Immigrant in the early 1990’s and this guy was in his 70’s so was alive during WWII.  When I asked him about the holocaust he said it was all lies & propaganda by the Jews and regarding Holland he said they were just helping their Arian brothers out.  By bombing their cities & starving their people? Didn’t happen….

Would have been about 55 then, so 60 now. 

• Thank You 1

On 6/26/2022 at 4:33 AM, maddmaxx said:

Are the Russians really the number one villains in the world today or just high on the top 10 charts?

Eastern Europeans are always well-represented in the list of villainy.  

In my lifetime, it was Germans, then Russians (they are always on this list), then any stripe of Muslim would do, and now Russians again.  The Yakuza blipped briefly, but were distinct from the Japanese in general, and again, the pretty much anything connected to Russia in the past in any way.  Black people were good for a scare in 'Reefer Madness', but I don't ever recall them as widespread villains, except in black on black crime movies, or anything centering on Compton or the like.

Indians were problematic during the western movie craze, but really weren't portrayed as very organized or worthy of supervillainry, more murderous/nuisance-level stuff.

Aliens fare poorly, though.  Predators seem pretty scary, and there is a new movie on the way a few hundred years in the past, and they are hunting indians (american-type, not Quik-E-Mart type).  I am excited about this one:

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Early in my working life there was a Dutch guy named Axel and he really really hated Germans. People thinking he was German because of the name and accent really frosted his gourd too :D

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Thanks for the exhaustive retrospective, rg. :D

Exhaustive replies are my specialty!

13 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Early in my working life there was a Dutch guy named Axel and he really really hated Germans. People thinking he was German because of the name and accent really frosted his gourd too :D

Poor guy!  Still funny, though.