That project is done

Square Wheels

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

Huh?  It's a two story house with a full basement.  Downstairs we have the kitchen, living room and a couple of bedrooms.  We have a gas stove in the kitchen.

oops, I meant, how do you cool downstairs if you only have central ac upstairs.

Vents with a fan should help a lot.

When I was growing up, there were two bedrooms upstairs for my brother and I - with NO insulation between the roof and ceiling sheetrock.  We had vents on each side of the house above the ceiling but they didn't do much.

Our house didn't have air conditioning - not even window air. I put a fan in each window - one in my bedroom and one in my brother's, and we set one of the fans to blow air in and one to blow air out, reversing them if one room got hotter than the other.  That worked better than having then both blow in.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

I installed this in the end wall this morning.

I'm a   fan   of this post.

Where'd you steal the power from?

Once the crawlspace cools down, you could help the operation of the AC by adding another layer of insulation around the ducts going in and out of the unit, and adding some insulation around the unit itself.  The HVAC unit has the capacity to drop the air temperature only so many degrees, and if the air heats up while going in and through the unit then it can only come down so far coming out.  Every degree you gain going in will be a degree lower you receive at the registers.

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Our electric bill goes up to around 500 a month in the summer

:frantics:

I just paid our electric bill.  It was $135 for the last 30 days.  It was HOT here for most of the month.   Last summer the highest bill we had was $115.    3600 sq ft and 2 A/C units, with the thermostats set at 71 for the first floor and 73 for the second floor.