Do you correct people?

Square Wheels

18 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

There are some things that drive me nuts.  

I axed him to come with me.

This book is exspecially difficult to read.

Email myself if you have questions.

I wanted to correct these people, I don't.

I've given up correcting people's vocabulary and grammar unless it's a close friend or relative that I warn because I don't want him/her to sound uneducated in his/her job.

I have one friend, an educated, retired, AT&T engineer, who says "them" in place of "those" and some other words.  At his 80th birthday party yesterday, he said "How are you going to eat all them tomatoes you're growing?"

I didn't correct him, I knew what he meant and I'm not going to change him after 80 years of the wrong "them."  Now if my sister, when she was Coordinator of Bone Marrow Transplants for Johns Hopkins Hospital, said something like that, I'd correct and she'd appreciate because she was frequently representing the hospital to patients and their families and wouldn't want to create a poor image of the hospital's staff.

As far as awful pronunciation goes, I'll pick the right time to correct things.  We Balamorons tend to say things like, "Ahm goan downy awshun, Hon."  which translates to "I'm going down to the ocean, Hon."  Water is often pronounced "wuter."

My parents were from Pennsylvania, spoke well, and I grew up learning much more correct pronunciation than that of a lot of my friends.  My mother grew up saying "my-yen" instead of "mine" as my cousins still do in Wilkes-Barre, PA, but she lost the habit after moving to Maryland after high school to become a WW2 "Rosie-the-Riveter" and building warplanes at the Glenn L. Martin plant in Baltimore.  She met my father after moving to Baltimore, so I guess Hitler, Tojo, and Mussolini are partly responsible for my existence.

• Heart 1

18 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

If you were saying exspecially, would you want me to point it out?  I would so I could stop looking so silly.

Language is a passion of mine. I used to correct people who used it incorrectly to keep them from ‘sounding silly’. Again, it didn’t do anything more than annoy them. And it really didn’t win my any friends....

• Heart 3

1 minute ago, Zealot said:

Language is a passion of mine. I used to correct people who used it incorrectly to keep them from ‘sounding silly’. Again, it didn’t do anything more than annoy them. And it really didn’t win my any friends....

Please feel free to correct myself.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Never.  OK, sometimes 

Many usage guides over the years have suggested that there is a clear distinction between these two words; people is used when referring to a collective group or indeterminate number, and persons serves better when referring to individuals (or a number of individuals).

Just now, Zealot said:

Many usage guides over the years have suggested that there is a clear distinction between these two words; people is used when referring to a collective group or indeterminate number, and persons serves better when referring to individuals (or a number of individuals).

Then I stand corrected, thanks 😊 

• Haha 1

Rarely.  Unless someone asks me to proofread something or I'm reviewing something at work. Or unless it's something that makes a difference (like someone has wrong directions  or the wrong time for an event.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I've given up correcting people's vocabulary and grammar unless it's a close friend or relative that I warn because I don't want him/her to sound uneducated in his/her job.

I have one friend, an educated, retired, AT&T engineer, who says "them" in place of "those" and some other words.  At his 80th birthday party yesterday, he said "How are you going to eat all them tomatoes you're growing?"

I didn't correct him, I knew what he meant and I'm not going to change him after 80 years of the wrong "them."  Now if my sister, when she was Coordinator of Bone Marrow Transplants for Johns Hopkins Hospital, said something like that, I'd correct and she'd appreciate because she was frequently representing the hospital to patients and their families and wouldn't want to create a poor image of the hospital's staff.

As far as awful pronunciation goes, I'll pick the right time to correct things.  We Balamorons tend to say things like, "Ahm goan downy awshun, Hon."  which translates to "I'm going down to the ocean, Hon."  Water is often pronounced "wuter."

My parents were from Pennsylvania, spoke well, and I grew up learning much more correct pronunciation than that of a lot of my friends.  My mother grew up saying "my-yen" instead of "mine" as my cousins still do in Wilkes-Barre, PA, but she lost the habit after moving to Maryland after high school to become a WW2 "Rosie-the-Riveter" and building warplanes at the Glenn L. Martin plant in Baltimore.  She met my father after moving to Baltimore, so I guess Hitler, Tojo, and Mussolini are partly responsible for my existence.

Einstein’s family uses yin’s. Yinz come on over. 

"Yinz Are Welcome" sign at Occupy Pittsburgh in 2011.

Yinz (see History and usage below for other spellings) is a second-person pluralpronoun used mainly in Western Pennsylvania English, most prominently in Pittsburgh, but it is also found throughout the cultural region known as Appalachia, located within the geographical region of the Appalachians.[1]I

i don’t correct dialect. 

• Awesome 1

46 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Einstein’s family uses yin’s. Yinz come on over. 

"Yinz Are Welcome" sign at Occupy Pittsburgh in 2011.

Yinz (see History and usage below for other spellings) is a second-person pluralpronoun used mainly in Western Pennsylvania English, most prominently in Pittsburgh, but it is also found throughout the cultural region known as Appalachia, located within the geographical region of the Appalachians.[1]I

i don’t correct dialect. 

If yin’s come to Pixburg yin’s will hear that a lot, mostly among the blue collar workers and their families.

Stinking spellcheck changed my spelling.

• Heart 1

I had a coworker from Detroit. He said “axed” when speaking, but he always spelled it correctly when typing so I left him alone. He was on first name relationship with the CEO so it didn’t seem to affect his professional status. 
I used to correct some grammar but it never achieved any positive outcome so I dropped it. Any more I just have fun with responding to incorrect word usage or awkward syntax by responding to exactly what was typed. Most people know I’m just having fun and go along with it. 

No I don't correct people in anything...I know that I have piss poor grammar and it's always been a struggle for me. Growing up in the 60s and 70s dyslexic you were just considered stupid. 

But if I looked at people who can't Tig welded or can't time a engine camshaft as stupid. Would it mean that I'm more superior?

It doesn't mean you are stupid it's just that your knowledge is in different areas. 

When a drunk in a bar is trying to tell me how much HP his Harley makes when I can prove him wrong. I dont correct them I just let them talk and nod my head. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, BR46 said:

No I don't correct people in anything...I know that I have piss poor grammar and it's always been a struggle for me. Growing up in the 60s and 70s dyslexic you were just considered stupid. 

But if I looked at people who can't Tig welded or can't time a engine camshaft as stupid. Would it mean that I'm more superior?

It doesn't mean you are stupid it's just that your knowledge is in different areas. 

When a drunk in a bar is trying to tell me how much HP his Harley makes when I can prove him wrong. I dont correct them I just let them talk and nod my head. 

Yep, that's about right, sir. 

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Imagine my elation when I found this useful item in a dusty bin at a book sale!  :happyanim:

I found myself learning a whole new language!

Capture.thumb.JPG.85b85f89618cd7a819b5204e7fff89c8.JPG

Capture2.thumb.JPG.f3bb8864c10c453880a1ad3b15a9d0ca.JPG

capture3.jpg.0aa51e8bce4ced9a876e37e057b884b5.jpg

So what are key lessons there?

Dearie had some bad spelling errors in draft documents. He did use word spelling checker. Then he would get overly sensitive when I told him to cut 1 sentence into 2 for coherence. I initially wrote some marketing material for his post-retirement consulting biz.

I co-wrote some blog posts on cycling advocacy / cycling lifestyle into his blog.  I have not taken down the blog yet..... I am the only person that knows the password.

4 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

So what are key lessons there?

From the book?  I don't really know, as I haven't been able to understand most of it yet.

;)

Key lessons in general?

1 - The engineer should not take himself too seriously.

2 - The engineer should communicate in phrases, expressions, style, and vocabulary familiar with the audience he is attempting to reach; with acronyms and technical terms being condemned to the Appendices.

3 - The engineer should read continuously and vociferously, not only for enjoyment and learning but to pay particularly attention to manners of style and presentation that come across as intuitive and effective for communicating complicated and detailed subjects.

• Awesome 2

15 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

From the book?  I don't really know, as I haven't been able to understand most of it yet.

;)

Key lessons in general?

2 - The engineer should communicate in phrases, expressions, style, and vocabulary familiar with the audience he is attempting to reach; with acronyms and technical terms being condemned to the Appendices.

3 - The engineer should read continuously and vociferously, not only for enjoyment and learning but to pay particularly attention to manners of style and presentation that come across as intuitive and effective for communicating complicated and detailed subjects.

So true. Where I worked, one of the engineers with prolific memory for the Ontario Fire Code and separate the Ontario Building Code, first was 400 pg. and latter more 600 pg. tomes, was a self-effacing person. Other engineers went to him directly on historic as well, present interpretations.

In reading this, I miss dearie..for his graceful communication style to convince municipal engineers and stakeholder managers on expansion of cycling infrastructure in Metro VAncovuer. He always put the user of the infrastructure as central. His MBA gave him the "other" side to ratchet his language one step further from technical to vision, strategy and outcomes.

27 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

;)

Key lessons in general?

As I have said before several family members are engineers.... 1 of them is BIL is an engineering professor and researcher at U of Toronto. for past 3.5 decades. One wouldn't know it though...at family gatherings. He will only talk about work if asked. He hasn't bothered to explain his area of research. All I know it touches quantum physics. 

I was impressed he read more challenging literary works. Dearie wasn't into literary works. More on the business side, he liked the enterpreneurial stuff and providing guidance to non-profits at board level so that they could become more disciplined and execute well on their goals.

Never been too impressed with engineers. 

I've done mechanical inspection for years. Machine shops for aerospace companies. 

I often wonder how some engineers get by in life.

I remember one guy trying to impress the people with his intelligence. Keep in mind,  this guy the QC engineer.

As he was boasting   I said  "yeah but you probably don't even know how many thousandths of an inch there are in one inch."

He said  "uhhh, 100?". 😆😄😆

7 hours ago, Mr. Beanz said:

Never been too impressed with engineers. 

I've done mechanical inspection for years. Machine shops for aerospace companies. 

I often wonder how some engineers get by in life.

I remember one guy trying to impress the people with his intelligence. Keep in mind,  this guy the QC engineer.

As he was boasting   I said  "yeah but you probably don't even know how many thousandths of an inch there are in one inch."

He said  "uhhh, 100?". 😆😄😆

The owner of an oilfield mining company was talking to me about delayed projects and he held engineers in very low esteem.  To quote him, "All engineers do is seek out reasons something can't be done".   I said "I thought that was the whole point of requiring engineering".  :) 

I met a 30 year old gal, engineer that is working on a huge project in Toronto and another in Nashville.  Right now, she is building her own cottage of timbers using semi-monocoque construction but no fasteners so a whole lot of fine woodworking.  On top of that, she is a mountain climber, sailplane pilot/instructor, motocross riding cyclist.  I was very, very impressed.  :)  I felt unaccomplished talking to her. 

• Heart 2

I am not a huge grammer guy but I will correct people who use improper terminology when referring to something.

I used to harp on the word 'orientate' because it is a stupid word right up there with 'irregardless' but is so widely accepted by the moronic masses that I gave up.  

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Zephyr said:

I am not a huge grammer guy but I will correct people who use improper terminology when referring to something.

I used to harp on the word 'orientate' because it is a stupid word right up there with 'irregardless' but is so widely accepted by the moronic masses that I gave up.  

Maybe you just needed to orientate them before you corrected them? 

:)