The Way of Things

Thaddeus Kosciuszko

I'm certain this is not news to many...

Precovid there were two delis near work.  The first, family run, had simpler fare but the food was the better yet less expensive of the two.  They sold soon after the pandemic started; that deli struggled on but folded after a few months.  The other 'temporarily' closed for almost 18 months.

It recently reopened with a new format.  They have one employee.  The employee only makes the order, then packages it in a bag with your name on it.  Virtually no interaction with the customers.  Customers walk in, pick up the bag with their name on it, and walk out.

If you want to place an order, you have to place it through an app on your smart phone and pay at time of order using a credit card.  Want to walk in and pay cash?  Nope, not allowed.  Call in an order with a credit card?  Nope, there's no employee to talk to take your order.  No smart phone?  LOL, you caveman!

So, if you leave a tip, how much should go the person making the food and how much should go to the AI running the app that takes your order?  :scratchhead:

9 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I'm certain this is not news to many...

Precovid there were two delis near work.  The first, family run, had simpler fare but the food was the better yet less expensive of the two.  They sold soon after the pandemic started; that deli struggled on but folded after a few months.  The other 'temporarily' closed for almost 18 months.

It recently reopened with a new format.  They have one employee.  The employee only makes the order, then packages it in a bag with your name on it.  Virtually no interaction with the customers.  Customers walk in, pick up the bag with their name on it, and walk out.

If you want to place an order, you have to place it through an app on your smart phone and pay at time of order using a credit card.  Want to walk in and pay cash?  Nope, not allowed.  Call in an order with a credit card?  Nope, there's no employee to talk to take your order.  No smart phone?  LOL, you caveman!

So, if you leave a tip, how much should go the person making the food and how much should go to the AI running the app that takes your order?  :scratchhead:

Sheer survival. :unsure:

I didn't buy an iphone to order online. As for the delvery companies for restaurants with apps ie. Skip the Dishes, etc. they take over 20% right off the bat from the biz. :( 

If at all possible, if one has a choice and place is close by, order directly and go pick it up yourself.

2 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

That would be easy for me...   I'd never place an order. 

• Heart 1