We went fishing today.

sheep_herder

While canoeing when I was 19 years old I discovered a lake full of northern pike. They were spawning in the shallow water before the season opened. I told my dad and he didn’t believe me. I took him out and showed him and he became a pike fisherman. He had many enjoyable days fishing for and catching pike. He liked to cook them up and take them to church dinners. There were never any leftovers.

• Heart 4

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

While canoeing when I was 19 years old I discovered a lake full of northern pike. They were spawning in the shallow water before the season opened. I told my dad and he didn’t believe me. I took him out and showed him and he became a pike fisherman. He had many enjoyable days fishing for and catching pike. He liked to cook them up and take them to church dinners. There were never any leftovers.

If you know how to clean them vis-a-vis the bones, they are a great eating fish. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Kzoo said:

I'll take the yellow perch - great eating.  Mid-summer crappy can be a bit mealy from the warm water but always fun to catch.

Nice pike.

Thanks, we've been cool, so the waters are still cool. We probably fished from noon to about 4:00pm yesterday. We don't try for early morning and still do well trolling spinners tipped with a piece of worm and some casting on hot spots. Hope to head down soon to a small lake where last year we caught 9-10" bluegills. We use electronics to find and avoid weed beds. They can become real problems later in the year. My fishing buddy almost treats like a customer, as his habits from years of guiding are not easily forgotten.

• Heart 2

15 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Thanks, we've been cool, so the waters are still cool. We probably fished from noon to about 4:00pm yesterday. We don't try for early morning and still do well trolling spinners tipped with a piece of worm and some casting on hot spots. Hope to head down soon to a small lake where last year we caught 9-10" bluegills. We use electronics to find and avoid weed beds. They can become real problems later in the year. My fishing buddy almost treats like a customer, as his habits from years of guiding are not easily forgotten.

I hope you tip your guide! :) 

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I hope you tip your guide! :) 

That is really fun, as I may have had the biggest pike of the day cut my line yesterday. He indicated I did not need to tip him, as he should have checked the line for frays. We fish with 8lb test with no steel leaders. First time, I've had a line cut. Had trouble with my reel yesterday, so I am looking for a new one. Lost another nice pike due to the reel malfunction. I did offer to pay for his dog's vet bills when he was bit by a rattlesnake last autumn. Also sent him to a photo workshop that I could not attend last year due to my wife's health. That may count as a small tip. He is a very good friend.:whistle:

• Heart 2

21 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

That is really fun, as I may have had the biggest pike of the day cut my line yesterday. He indicated I did not need to tip him, as he should have checked the line for frays. We fish with 8lb test with no steel leaders. First time, I've had a line cut. Had trouble with my reel yesterday, so I am looking for a new one. Lost another nice pike due to the reel malfunction. I did offer to pay for his dog's vet bills when he was bit by a rattlesnake last autumn. Also sent him to a photo workshop that I could not attend last year due to my wife's health. That may count as a small tip. He is a very good friend.:whistle:

I noticed in the image that you kept your hands well away from the pikes teeth!  I hate checking tippets & retying flies but it does pay off to check.