Homeless Children in America

Airehead

I wish no one was homeless but homeless children make me very sad. I have been reading lots on the subject. Complex solutions.  

The number of homeless kids in the US is over 2.5 million a year. 

https://www.air.org/sites/default/files/2021-06/Americas-Youngest-Outcasts-Child-Homelessness-Nov2014.pdf

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Airehead said:

I wish no one was homeless but homeless children make me very sad. I have been reading lots on the subject. Complex solutions.  

The number of homeless kids in the US is over 2.5 million a year. 

https://www.air.org/sites/default/files/2021-06/Americas-Youngest-Outcasts-Child-Homelessness-Nov2014.pdf

Over 200,000 walked across the border in April.  I am hoping there is a solution for the children that go unclaimed. 

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Over 200,000 walked across the border in April.  I am hoping there is a solution for the children that go unclaimed. 

Your comment ignores the number of homeless children born with in this country to native born parents with little opportunity, only to achieve a political point by a wealthy person in a lucrative industry. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Your comment ignores the number of homeless children born with in this country to native born parents with little opportunity, only to achieve a political point by a wealthy person in a lucrative industry. 

But it is the land of opportunity! 

The complex problems with homeless or extremely poor kids are often due to addiction or other problems in their parents.

When I was in the Jaycees, I was responsible for organizing and running our chapter's annual red-light bucket collections for Christmas Presents for Poor Kids.  We got the names from schools and churches, got into touch with the parents, and arranged to pick the kids up and take them to Toys R Us or a similar store that had agreed to open an hour early for us and give us a discount.

We divided the money collected by the number of kids and told them they could pick out that much money's worth of presents for themselves.

A lot of the kids wanted to spend part of their money for a small present for a friend or cousin they knew was getting them a present and we let them do that.  But when they said they wanted to get presents for their parents we said, "No!" - this money was for them.  Too often when we picked up the kids, a parent was drunk at 7:30 am on a Saturday, the parents weren't home and left the kids alone with their signed consent forms, etc.

I grew up in a very poor family but a lot of it was due to a WW2 disabled father, not from a lack of care by our parents.  I knew what is was like to have no money, to feel ashamed you couldn't do some the things your friends did - vacations, music lessons, Scout Jamborees, etc. -  but it angered me greatly to see those poor kids home situations that made my childhood seem like I was Ritchie Rich.

Too bad there aren't laws where a parent is subjected to a public whipping and left in stocks for public viewing for a day after putting their kids through that kind of stuff.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

The complex problems with homeless or extremely poor kids are often due to addiction or other problems in their parents.

The number of kids and told them they could pick out that much money's worth of presents for themselves.................................................

A lot of the kids wanted to spend part of their money for a small present for a friend or cousin they knew was getting them a present and we let them do that.  But when they said they wanted to get presents for their parents we said, "No!" - this money was for them.  Too often when we picked up the kids, a parent was drunk at 7:30 am on a Saturday, the parents weren't home and left the kids alone with their signed consent forms, etc.

I seriously do question if some people even thought why they are having children if they aren't looked after. Or just get pregnant at wrong time/ accidentally.