cannondale went retro

bikeman564™

9 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

sure does. That paint scheme, for whatever reason is my favorite. That was the Cannondale I always wanted. I knew one dude back in the early 2000s, that had the team version.

Are you just lusting on the frame or considering getting one?  Could you get the frame & do a parts swap?

8 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Are you just lusting on the frame or considering getting one?  Could you get the frame & do a parts swap?

More so the former. My size (56) is out of stock online :(

I think I could for the most part do a frame swap w/ my components. However this frame has direct mount rim brakes, so I'd need to buy a new pair of calipers because mine our center mount. That's no biggie providing the my levers will still work correctly. I have Ultegra 6700. I need to verify my QR wheel sizes. But I think everything else would transfer over. The BB is BB30 so that's the same as my CAAD 10.

In the 80s & 90s, Cannandale had a frame upgrade policy. You could trade in your frame for any reason, and pay IIRC $400 at the time, and get a brand new one. I don't think they offer this, but I'd look into it if I was seriously going to do it. Or just off mine on Ebay.

I text the pic to BCC, and she's trying to talk me into it :frantics:she said "damn, time to build a new bike" then "but how often does that come along?" referring to the paint scheme:facepalm:

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

More so the former. My size (56) is out of stock online :(

I think I could for the most part do a frame swap w/ my components. However this frame has direct mount rim brakes, so I'd need to buy a new pair of calipers because mine our center mount. That's no biggie providing the my levers will still work correctly. I have Ultegra 6700. I need to verify my QR wheel sizes. But I think everything else would transfer over. The BB is BB30 so that's the same as my CAAD 10.

In the 80s & 90s, Cannandale had a frame upgrade policy. You could trade in your frame for any reason, and pay IIRC $400 at the time, and get a brand new one. I don't think they offer this, but I'd look into it if I was seriously going to do it. Or just off mine on Ebay.

I text the pic to BCC, and she's trying to talk me into it :frantics:she said "damn, time to build a new bike" then "but how often does that come along?" referring to the paint scheme:facepalm:

I like how BCC thinks.  I am also in favor of spending your money on a sweet retro Cannondale!  You can let the hair flow like Cippolini! 

Do it!!! 😂

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

My old beloved Panasonic had the yellow-on-red color scheme.... I loved it.  This looks really sweet.

My first 10 speed was a blue schwinn varsity. That dark metallic schwinn blue. My dad bought me the bike used, I was IIRC 10. He then stripped it and painted it. I chose red w/ yellow decals. Remember the yellow plastic bar tape? Yeah, that's what I put on :D  It turned out really well. He did a great job.

• Heart 3

23 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I guess I am more of a modern bike modern paint scheme person.

I think it’s cool how different people have different bike lust.  I lean more towards retro while @Dennisd might lean more towards bike packing where @shootingstar might lean towards a commuter bike and you like modern styles and tech.

There really is no wrong answers when it comes to one’s bike lust. 

• Heart 3
  • Thank You 1

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I think it’s cool how different people have different bike lust.  I lean more towards retro while @Dennisd might lean more towards bike packing where @shootingstar might lean towards a commuter bike and you like modern styles and tech.

There really is no wrong answers when it comes to one’s bike lust. 

If I had the garage space and the budget I would choose my bike for the day like some people choose golf clubs. I love all 3 of my bikes. 50 year old Schwinn Varsity for cruising around and doing small errands in town. 30 year old Bridgestone MB4 for gravel riding or for getting a more intense road ride in a short amount of time. Stradalli for the full blown road bike experience. Each is fun in it’s own way and I try to ride each at least once during the week. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Just now, az_cyclist said:

That frame looks very similar to a Trek 500 that I bought (used) in 2001. The 500 was steel

This was thermally bonded aluminum.  Glued together basically.  The joints were so smooth.  I wore the rims out and instead of upgrading rims, I traded it in on a 2005 Trek 1200.  My youngest son now rides the 1200 which now 10 speed Dura Ace thanks to the unbelievable kindness of @Razors Edge.   

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Philander Seabury said:

That is a damn good Bianchi Celeste imitation!

I had a white saddle and white bar tape.  I one point, I had a lycra saddle cover that was teal and white striped.  It was totally Miami Vice.  That bike was so stiff.  Back when I could hammer, that bike would fly.  Only time in my life I was able to put a small cassette on a wheel and actually take advantage of it.   I would die trying to ride the gear combo today.

• Heart 2

15 hours ago, jsharr said:

This was thermally bonded aluminum.  Glued together basically.  The joints were so smooth.  I wore the rims out and instead of upgrading rims, I traded it in on a 2005 Trek 1200.  My youngest son now rides the 1200 which now 10 speed Dura Ace thanks to the unbelievable kindness of @Razors Edge.   

My dad had a 1420, like this

28452585373_f906a50c61_b.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

• Heart 2

I bought a Trek 1000 in 2003 or 2004.  I still have it.  I want to start using it it ride to the gym, etc.  kind of a city bike.  I am hoping to get 28mm tires on it.

• Heart 2

That sounds like the same deal as the Raleigh Technium. Very smooth. There was a guy in the love forum who said I should stop riding it before the joints popped apart. I stopped riding it because the rims and the drivetrain wore oot. 

• Heart 2

22 hours ago, bikeman564™ said:

:cheerleader:

They have the CAAD 13 frame available in what looks like the Seaco paint job. $1,010

image.thumb.png.5a2ece26238b1d171b5b1a318ca9db06.png

I'd ride that!

My sister has a CAAD in those colors back in the 90s.  It was pretty!  I don't think she still has it, but she might have it tucked away with her other bikes.

• Awesome 1

21 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

small cassette, big ring. That's how I roll.

I'm the opposite - compact 50/34 and wide 11-28!  I still have a 53/39 that never gets installed on anything. If I moved to Florida or a beach community on the East coast, definitely.  

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm the opposite - compact 50/34 and wide 11-28!  I still have a 53/39 that never gets installed on anything. If I moved to Florida or a beach community on the East coast, definitely.  

I ride 53/39 w/ a 12-26 cassette.

You have a slightly larger gear w/ 50x11 = 118 gear inch. My 53x12 = 115 gear inch.

You also have a slightly lower gear w/ 34x28 = 33 gear inch. My 39x26 = 40 gear inch.

six have dozen thing ;) 

4 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I ride 53/39 w/ a 12-26 cassette.

You have a slightly larger gear w/ 50x11 = 118 gear inch. My 53x12 = 115 gear inch.

You also have a slightly lower gear w/ 34x28 = 33 gear inch. My 39x26 = 40 gear inch.

six have dozen thing ;) 

For me, it is ALL about those lower gears.  When I moved to Di2, went from a 10sp 50/36 & 12-27 to the 5/34 & 11-28 which netted me some top end and, more importantly, the lower gearing is what makes me smile the most :D  The Diverge is even lower gearing, but also heavier, so it's about a fair trade.  Your gearing would kill me.  I could grind up climbs, but man, I'd complain the whole way. You youngsters are NUTS :D

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

For me, it is ALL about those lower gears.  When I moved to Di2, went from a 10sp 50/36 & 12-27 to the 5/34 & 11-28 which netted me some top end and, more importantly, the lower gearing is what makes me smile the most :D  The Diverge is even lower gearing, but also heavier, so it's about a fair trade.  Your gearing would kill me.  I could grind up climbs, but man, I'd complain the whole way. You youngsters are NUTS :D

Hills never look hilly in pictures, but this is me climbing 12% (background is Torch Lake). Pic courtesy of BCC :D 

image.png.5faf0435f9edfb57220ca12279fe7e36.png

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

6 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Hills never look hilly in pictures, but this is me climbing 12% (background is Torch Lake).

Young punk!  Try that on 52 yr old knees :D Or, heck, whatever a guy like superman LJ has.  

But, I'd definitely be standing on the pedals.

• Heart 1

A few years back when I picked up that Fuji Cross it came with a 46/36 crank.  I found I liked that crank over a 50/34 as the 34 really is just a climbing gear.  It seemed to find the sweet spot on flats I’m often cross chained.  When I had the Ritchey built up I put a 46/36 cross crank on it.

The 46/36 gives up a little bit on the high & low end but I find I’m rarely cross chained. I paired it with a 11-34 cassette and I’m good on climbs and just coast on downhills anyway.

• Heart 2

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

the only way to climb

...with a 53/39 and 12-26??? YEP!!!  With the 50/34, I can use the 28 while seated or stand, go up a few gears, and stand for a bit, and then back to sitting using the 28.  I definitely prefer standing while climbing, but unlike Contador (he would train by standing on a climb for 30 mins at a time!!!!), I can't stand for many full climbs.  A few mins, sure, but a climb over mile or so would require a sit/stand/sit/stand rotation.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I definitely prefer standing while climbing, but unlike Contador

Same. I rather up shift and stand. Funny thing aboot Contador. That pic I posted above was a bike vacation in the Traverse City area w/ BCC & few other friends. Well that's one of the hilliest areas in the state. Strava even showed two, category 4 climbs. Anyway, I would hammer up all the hills. And a friend said I remind him of Contador :D

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

Same. I rather up shift and stand. Funny thing aboot Contador. That pic I posted above was a bike vacation in the Traverse City area w/ BCC & few other friends. Well that's one of the hilliest areas in the state. Strava even showed two, category 4 climbs. Anyway, I would hammer up all the hills. And a friend said I remind him of Contador :D

:D

If I already know a hill, I "know" how to climb it.  I can measure my effort and can attack it to my level of ability.  So, local climbs I am usually comfortable on and some get the hammer up approach, and some get the stand/sit/stand/sit mix with some harder efforts where I know I will have a respite after that hammering.  But new terrain really makes me dial it back a lot out of fear of blowing up early, and then having an awful remaining ride.  I often finish a new century with lots in the tank, and if I do it again, hopefully remember the route a bit and can go harder.  More likely, I'll again finish with more in the tank, but also be irritated I didn't remember the route well enough to ride it well. :(

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

But new terrain really makes me dial it back a lot out of fear of blowing up early, and then having an awful remaining ride.  I often finish a new century with lots in the tank, and if I do it again, hopefully remember the route a bit and can go harder.  More likely, I'll again finish with more in the tank, but also be irritated I didn't remember the route well enough to ride it well. :(

Good tactic