People I know saw a hippie at GOBA

JerrySTL

7 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Before I trimmed my beard we did look pretty similar. I trimmed it before I started dating.

When I heard the other riders talking about GOBA, I asked if they saw a tall, thin guy with a white beard. However I was wondering if they were talking about you as I remember that you trimmed your beard.

• Heart 1

50 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Whoa!  What did I miss?!?

I thought you were dating someone named Nancy, but now you're dating a bearded guy in a fancy shirt from GOBA? :dontknow:

Not that it makes any difference to us

28 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

@Longjohn on Strava, I seen some people I know on the ride also.

Pace lines were not as prominent this year as on some other years. The only ones I noticed were a few that knew what they were doing. I seen them some years where lots of people that never tried them would form one, that kept the medical people busy. I think the average age this year was much higher for people on the ride. Friends would ride together in a swarm rather than a line.

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Pace lines were not as prominent this year as on some other years. The only ones I noticed were a few that knew what they were doing. I seen them some years where lots of people that never tried them would form one, that kept the medical people busy. I think the average age this year was much higher for people on the ride. Friends would ride together in a swarm rather than a line.

These people I know don't pace line :D

8 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

These people I know don't pace line :D

I never have and I never will.  My wife used to race, she wanted to practice.  We went somewhere that had about a 5 mile open, flat stretch of road (rare around here).  I told her I would ride at a consistent pace and never touch my brakes.  She could ride as close as she wanted.  I suspect pacelines for amateurs are not that safe.  I have no desire to hit the ground at 20mph and then get run over by the people behind me.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

I never have and I never will.  My wife used to race, she wanted to practice.  We went somewhere that had about a 5 mile open, flat stretch of road (rare around here).  I told her I would ride at a consistent pace and never touch my brakes.  She could ride as close as she wanted.  I suspect pacelines for amateurs are not that safe.  I have no desire to hit the ground at 20mph and then get run over by the people behind me.

I don't like pace line rides. I've participated in them w/ the club, but I'm not fan. They definitely allow you to ride fast w/ minimal effort. To me its scary. No more of that.

My introduction to road riding was the first week I had my road bike in 2006. My LBS owner gave me a card that had the contact information on it for the Two Wheel’d Freakz, the local roadie club. They welcomed me and spent a lot of time explaining things to me before we started my first ride. They explained things on the ride and looked out for this noob. I rode with them every Saturday morning and learned a lot. I wouldn’t do a pace line with just anybody, too dangerous for everybody in the line.

That summer we would do 60-70 miles before noon and spend the rest of the day with our families. It was a great group, sadly some of the leaders moved away from the area for work and the group broke up.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1