No More Excuses!

Razors Edge

28 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...to not embrace Di2.  Damn, this 105 seems a no-brainer and I am actually shocked to see how well it compares to Ultegra and Dura Ace.

I’m guessing very little to no difference in performance and a slight penalty in weight.

I considered building my Ritchey with 105 as it was awesome with my Fuji but they couldn’t source it nor GRX but could source an Ultegra group so I went that route.  I’d ride a 105 group any day and twice on Sunday. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Just now, bikeman564™ said:

I'm good with a lever and a cable.:word:

I’m not anti DI2 but it didn’t make sense while trying to stay within the budget of my latest bike build.   I’ll likely not upgrade to DI2 but should I be in the market for another bike I would consider it.  

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

but should I be in the market for another bike I would consider it.  

Don't do it unless you really want to screw yourself over.  I got it, now I don't think I can ever have a bike without it.  When I rude my rain bike, I literally shake my head when I shift

• Heart 3

5 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

Is Shimano discontinuing mechanical shifters, going to Di2 only ?

I thought I read that last year

They were going to Di2 and disc brakes, I think, for DA and Ultegra.  But likely, since 105 is part of the top tier gruppos, I guess that's likely where it gets to and stops.  Keep mechanical and rim braking as options in lower groups in the range, and focus on cross compatibility in the different sections of the range?  It makes sense to have a "simple" upgrade path as well as distinct price points, so if someone buys an mid-level racing bike, it could come with full 105, but then allow some swapping of components to mix in Ultegra and DA for the next several levels of build until hitting that top level full DA setup.  So, Trek or Spec or Cannondale can offer several levels of the same essential frames, but with prices from the low thousands to the high thousands just by swapping the component mix (like they have done for years).  Adding 105 to that mix REALLY helps.  And, at a price, someone with that full 105 bike could also strategically replace parts as they liked, but not sure what gains are made swapping a 105 shifter for an Ultegra or DA one would get someone. 

• Heart 1

I have had good luck with Ultegra components on both Trek Domanes, so I purchased Ultegra 8000 (8100?) for the Ritchey. The cyclists I know who have Di2 like it, at least as long as the battery doesnt go dead.  I just hate to spend more for Di2 when I am happy with mechanical shifters.

The laziness of Americans prompted the auto industry to invent the automatic transmission. So why not apply that principle to the world of bicycles? That's the idea behind a new automatic bike design which saves you from the hassle of manipulating shift levers while you cruise along the bike path. The Silicon Valley design firm Ideo and leading bike parts producer Shimano together developed a bike design that would make bike riding an easier and more attractive experience. The partnership resulted in the production of an already-successful 2007 line of 3-speed automatic-shifting bikes by a few bike manufacturers, including the Trek Lime, and Giant’s Suede, and appropriately marketed them as simple but new-tech “coasting” bikes.

With IDEO’s and Shimano’s valued mantra of “increased comfort and low maintenance” on the design, and a focus on a feet-forward geometric device, the Suede ends up using a generator on the front wheel for the automatic shifting, and mostly conceals the cable and brake systems, allowing the bike to stop by pressing backwards on the pedals. It includes an oversized ALUXX aluminum frame, alloy rims, City Comfort anti-puncture 26x1.75" tires, alloy suspension at 30.9mm w/QR Seat Lever, and a SuperGel Comfort Plus saddle. It comes in a Satin Silver color for men, and Mint Green for women and retails for about $500. Check out the bike for yourself at the Giant website.

Wired’s Charlie Sorrel highlighted the Trek Lime automatic shifting bike a few months back right here.

• Heart 1

20 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I'm really diggin the simplicity of SRAM shifting.  I thought I would hate it and be a Shimano person for life.  righty tighty (harder) lefty loosey (easier) both for front.

I've debated setting that up on my bike.  Until now, still haven't seen the need to do it, neither going full synchro nor really tweaking what any of the buttons/levers do.  Maybe one day?  

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I've debated setting that up on my bike.  Until now, still haven't seen the need to do it, neither going full synchro nor really tweaking what any of the buttons/levers do.  Maybe one day?  

This is the default for SRAM.  I only have one button on each side.  If I hold it, it will run up or down the whole cassette.  That can be good to go through a few gears quickly.

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

This is the default for SRAM.  I only have one button on each side.  If I hold it, it will run up or down the whole cassette.  That can be good to go through a few gears quickly.

You're a 1x, correct?  I'm a 2x so I could set it up several different ways beyond the "default" normal pattern.  Since my brain is trained, I stick to it the way I know it, but it could be neat to have it work through the gears just using "easier" or "harder" regardless of whether that was a big ring or little ring option.  With a 1x, it definitely makes sense to KISS, since that's the whole point of a 1x.

54 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Nope, two chainrings, 12 gears on the cassette.

Left button makes the cassette easier.

Right button makes it harder.

Both buttons at the same time change the chainrings.

Autotrim (I suspect all electronic do that)

Sweet.  I may, like I wrote, do that one day.  It seems like a neat idea and since you seem to like it too, maybe I'll do it sooner rather than later.

10 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Sweet.  I may, like I wrote, do that one day.  It seems like a neat idea and since you seem to like it too, maybe I'll do it sooner rather than later.

I planned to order a new bike. A Domane, and get ultegra.  They had the Madone on the shelf, with SRAM.  I didn't think I could tide a Madone, and I thought I would not like SRAM.

Wrong on both counts 

I love my bike.

• Awesome 1