What does a truck load of water cost?

Airehead

The oddish guy in the new house down from us put in an in ground cement pool. He has a water container in his pickup about three feet high and four feet wide. He is filling that and driving it to his pool to fill. Been doing it all week. Looks like he is getting water from a fire hydrant about four miles away. 
we don’t have municipal water here. 

I am pretty sure I would have had a big truck deliver water. 

2 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Well 16 Oz at the minimart is 3.79 so a truckload would be $$$$$%$$$

Does he need a permit to take water from the hydrant?

Depends who you know. Usually the fire department slaps a meter on and requires a “donation”.

• Heart 1

Nothing. I have a well so just the electricity to run the pump. :D

Technically, with a fire hydrant there is an inline meter that goes between the hydrant and the hose/line. That is the legal way to do it - and probably involves permits as the water authority isn't going to hand them out to anyone. The illegal way is one dark stormy night hook the 3" hose directly to the hydrant and let 'r rip. Of course, get caught doing that and in a heap 'o trouble.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, Kirby said:

Maybe he's driving down to NYC and getting free city water. :nodhead:  It's just costing him about $150 in gas for the drive.

We are 335 miles from NYC. so maybe more

6 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Where does he get his water for his house?

Well

When I was a kid, we had the annual pool opening ritual.  We would remove the pool cover (essentially a huge tarp back then), drain the pool, clean it out of debris and dirt, then run a hose from the regular outdoor spigot and turn it on.  It would take a day or so to fill!  

Later years, after I was an adult, it was usually the pool truck with a tank of water. I think the municipality banned filling by hose or it was just quicker and easier? In any case, that's how may dad did it in all his later homes.  My mom, in her homes, still used the spigot.  :dontknow:

Our county's fire department does, or did, fill people's pools up for them each year, for a fee that was reasonable.  My brother has a big, in-ground pool but just lets his hose run for as long as it takes to fill it.  I don't know how much that costs him but I have a $52.01 water bill every 3 months, so I'm sure it costs $50 or less to fill the pool.  And note that we have very soft water in the Baltimore Area, coming from stream-fed reservoirs, that's so good that tropical fish that will usually only spawn in aquariums with 50% distilled water to soften it, will spawn in Baltimore City Water - which also feeds the immediate suburbs.

On 6/30/2022 at 7:56 PM, Airehead said:

What does a truck load of water cost?

I'm not sure...  that said... If I had a pool to fill.  I'd call this guy who is close to me and get a price.   https://www.jaegletrucking.com/swimming-pools  

I have a good well, but I'm not going to find out how much water can be pumped out of it before it goes dry.  It may not go dry... I don't want to find out.  

• Heart 1

They must make good money hauling in pool water. Back several springs ago, I talked to a guy about a landscaping job. He said I was perfect for his new venture. He was mounting water tanks on all his trucks and running them 24/7 to fill private pools with water. Offered me big $$ with as many hours as I could stand. 

• Heart 1