In other news, one of our guys pulled a knife on another worker

2Far

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

On what grounds did the company fire him for?

They didn’t need grounds, he was in management. They came and went like a revolving door. Probably fired him for stupidity. We needed knives on the job and most of the guys went hunting after work. They always brought their guns to work on days they were going hunting.

• Heart 2

25 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

They didn’t need grounds, he was in management. They came and went like a revolving door. Probably fired him for stupidity. We needed knives on the job and most of the guys went hunting after work. They always brought their guns to work on days they were going hunting.

Guns would not be allowed in most workplaces in CAnada except if one's job allowed carrying a gun....police officer, wildlife parks officer, etc.

4 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Guns would not be allowed in most workplaces in CAnada except if one's job allowed carrying a gun....police officer, wildlife parks officer, etc.

Most places I go have "No Guns" rules. No one carries, but I'm sure there are a lot of guns in vehicles. Unless someone was stupid enough to leave the gun in plain view, no one's gonna search the vehicle.

I have been on projects where the law (owner's request) brought drug dogs on site to sniff the cars. Hilarity usually ensues.

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Most places I go have "No Guns" rules. No one carries, but I'm sure there are a lot of guns in vehicles. Unless someone was stupid enough to leave the gun in plain view, no one's gonna search the vehicle.

I have been on projects where the law (owner's request) brought drug dogs on site to sniff the cars. Hilarity usually ensues.

It possible some people leave a gun in the car up here in CAnada.  Somehow it's not part of the culture at all unless you were going to do something criminal. Seriously, which explains for the gun shot stories one reads about incidents in Canada.  It's people deliberately wanting to injure/kill someone because of revenge, gang activity, etc.That's not protection at all.

...and with gun control up where we are (which I'm SUPER glad), it's just harder to have a gun unless you're on your way to go hunting.

13 minutes ago, 2Far said:

I am aware some large Canadian firms will test employees for drug abuse on the job...jobs are in heavy construction.

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I am aware some large Canadian firms will test employees for drug abuse on the job...jobs are in heavy construction.

We post-offer/per-employment drug check (almost) everyone. we run about 10% of field workers through randoms every month, and everyone in the crew gets post-accident tested.

• Heart 2