Big 10 West just went way west

ChrisL

My USC Trojans & the UCLA Bruins are are moving to the Big 10 in 2024.How do you guys in the Midwest feel about that?

I just hope I can still watch games. I’m guessing they will still be plaid locally but our local network doesn’t have a Big 10 network, we have the PAC 12 network.  If the Trojans are playing a night game against a non powerhouse like Cal and the major networks don’t carry the game we still could watch it.  If they are playing Purdue will we still be able to watch the game? 

2 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

It's all about the money.

Yeah for sure.  There is also an East Coast bias where as voters in the east coast aren’t watching late west coast games from 10 PM to 1 AM.  The earlier time slots will likely help them in the national Rankings assuming they win of course…

It’s about the money. Pretty much guarantee you will get the B1G network out west @ChrisL. TV coverage is their endgame.  Nebraska was considered the nether regions of the conference. I don’t think they would dare call CA nether regions, but geographically, Lincoln now seems closer for the rest of the conference. Curious to see how it all plays out. 

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I think it’s stupid, as I grew up with the Rose Bowl being Big 10 vs PAC 10 champions. But I guess most tradition is now gone.

Can you imagine a USC Washington Rose Bowl?  That would be odd…

27 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

How do you guys in the Midwest feel about that?

Better them than Notre Dame.

Feels wrong to me, but I suppose Michigan has more of a chance to beat some bigger schools in football more often.  Which might be a welcome change for some, I suppose.

12 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Better them than Notre Dame.

Feels wrong to me, but I suppose Michigan has more of a chance to beat some bigger schools in football more often.  Which might be a welcome change for some, I suppose.

USC with Lincoln Riley should be good (they got a bunch of studs in the transfer portal) but neither team has done much lately. 

Just now, dinneR said:

Does the Big 10 now include teams from the east and west coast? And how many teams are in the Big 10? Is this really bad mathing?

Right!?!?  At least the PAC 10 changed to PAC 12 when they added teams.  I didn’t count but it’s like 14 teams after they join.  Other than USC & UCLA the teams all seemed to be mid America. 

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, dinneR said:

Rutgers and Maryland are in the east.

Yeah, Middle East! 😂.  I honestly glossed over the Big 10 teams… OK so the have both coasts now!

I guess no worse than Utah & Colorado being in the Pacific “PAC” 12…

5 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

And Penn State is only about 3 hours drive west. I don’t consider any of Pennsylvania to be mid-West. 

Does the Big 10 really have geographic ties?  Unlike the PAC 12 or SEC or ACC whose names are tied to a geographic region, I never thought that the case for the Big 10.

I guess it doesn’t matter really as schools are moving all over. 

38 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Does the Big 10 really have geographic ties?  Unlike the PAC 12 or SEC or ACC whose names are tied to a geographic region, I never thought that the case for the Big 10.

I guess it doesn’t matter really as schools are moving all over. 

No. Historically it was 10 schools in midwestern states all connected. Then they started adding and remained the Big 10 not 11, 12, 13 etc.

• Thank You 1

Just call it the B1G like the logo says. That way the teams can get shuffled in and out and it doesn’t matter. I miss the stability and “innocence” of the past. Tradition has been trampled. At least we don’t have to worry about a University moving to another state to get a new stadium….yet 

1 hour ago, groupw said:

Just call it the B1G like the logo says. That way the teams can get shuffled in and out and it doesn’t matter. I miss the stability and “innocence” of the past. Tradition has been trampled. At least we don’t have to worry about a University moving to another state to get a new stadium….yet 

Sure, don’t get my Angels owner involved as he’ll muck it all up.  LOs Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

He’ll make your school The Ohio Cornhuskers of Nebraska. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, ChrisL said:

My USC Trojans & the UCLA Bruins are are moving to the Big 10 in 2024.How do you guys in the Midwest feel about that?

I just hope I can still watch games. I’m guessing they will still be plaid locally but our local network doesn’t have a Big 10 network, we have the PAC 12 network.  If the Trojans are playing a night game against a non powerhouse like Cal and the major networks don’t carry the game we still could watch it.  If they are playing Purdue will we still be able to watch the game? 

The Big Ten seems too big to be one league: 16 teams in 2024.

I thought it had gotten too big when Penn State and Maryland joined the Big Ten.

• Heart 1

22 hours ago, ChrisL said:

So this is what it's like when I talk motorcycle/sidecar racing?

I don't understand a single thing you said 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BR46 said:

So this is what it's like when I talk motorcycle/sidecar racing?

I don't understand a single thing you said 

I’ll break it down for you.  A SoCal team may be playing college football against the Wisconsin Badgers in the near future.

• Hugs 1

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

The Big Ten seems too big to be one league: 16 teams in 2024.

I thought it had gotten too big when Penn State and Maryland joined the Big Ten.

Speculation is we will see huge B1G and SEC leagues before long and the rest wil get the scraps.  I’m not real crazy about it either. 

15 minutes ago, groupw said:

Speculation is we will see huge B1G and SEC leagues before long and the rest wil get the scraps.  I’m not real crazy about it either. 

Probably so.  The PAC 12 is a shell of its former self and even if USC stayed and Lincoln Riley went undefeated it would be a crap shoot if they made the playoff.  

Well I guess this year will be interesting test of my theory as they leave next season.