Speaking of drug tests....

Mr. Beanz

When I was hired 7 months ago,  I asked about the drug test. They said don't worry about it. 

3 guys hired since,  all 3 have had the safety /medical outfit come in to drug test the new guys. 😄

Never having a problem,  I've never had to sweat about drug testing.  The companies I've worked for had a policy that says if you're involved in any work related accident or injured, you were automatically drug  tested.

The company Gina worked for,  222 years  had a random drug test system. Every month,  all names were tossed into a jar and 4 names drawn. 

If your name was drawn,  you were drug tested.  There were times Gina was tested two months in a row. 

I've mentioned it on forums before and some of the responses were that I should fight against the policy.  Why would I,  I got nothing to hide. 😄

• Heart 2

Some companies that I worked for required a drug test before starting work. Others didn't.

When I was in the USAF, you could be pretty sure that you'd be tested about once a year. I even had to administer drug tests which meant watching guys take a piss in a plastic cup. It was called the Golden Flow program.

The USAF drug tests were supposed to be random unless there was an incident such as an accident on duty. Well when I was a member of the First Sergeants group at one base, we would have people that we wanted to test as we suspected them to be heavy drug users plus troublemakers. So we'd look for things that the troublemakers had in common such as the 3rd digit in their military ID number. That was how 'random' things weren't.

There was one guy, a Master Sergeant, who was busted for heroin, but not by the drug test. Seems that they didn't test for heroin and a few other drugs, but more common drugs.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Mr. Beanz said:

When I was hired 7 months ago,  I asked about the drug test. They said don't worry about it. 

3 guys hired since,  all 3 have had the safety /medical outfit come in to drug test the new guys. 😄

Never having a problem,  I've never had to sweat about drug testing.  The companies I've worked for had a policy that says if you're involved in any work related accident or injured, you were automatically drug  tested.

The company Gina worked for,  222 years  had a random drug test system. Every month,  all names were tossed into a jar and 4 names drawn. 

If your name was drawn,  you were drug tested.  There were times Gina was tested two months in a row. 

I've mentioned it on forums before and some of the responses were that I should fight against the policy.  Why would I,  I got nothing to hide. 😄

In CA testing some candidates and not others could be considered a discriminatory practice and could open your employer to a law suit.  It’s usually an all or none policy.

• Heart 1

Just now, JerrySTL said:

Some companies that I worked for required a drug test before starting work. Others didn't.

When I was in the USAF, you could be pretty sure that you'd be tested about once a year. I even had to administer drug tests which meant watching guys take a piss in a plastic cup. It was called the Golden Flow program.

The USAF drug tests were supposed to be random unless there was an incident such as an accident on duty. Well when I was a member of the First Sergeants group at one base, we would have people that we wanted to test as we suspected them to be heavy drug users plus troublemakers. So we'd look for things that the troublemakers had in common such as the 3rd digit in their military ID number. That was how 'random' things weren't.

There was one guy, a Master Sergeant, who was busted for heroin, but not by the drug test. Seems that they didn't test for heroin and a few other drugs, but more common drugs.

Shoot we got tested at least quarterly.  I remember our platoon Sgt telling us, big test tomorrow boys be sure to study… Of course we would take that to get drunk so when the alert sounded & we had 30 minutes to report in we all had to pee. 

• Heart 3

24 minutes ago, Mr. Beanz said:

Why would Gina's type of job require drug testing?  If it's an office job...

• Heart 1

When I got hired I had to have an observed piss test as part of my physical. The nurse checked everything else but called for an orderly to come watch me piss. I waited 20 minutes for him to show up and when he did he just handed me the cup and told me to piss in it and he walked away. He said I ‘m not going to stand there and watch a guy piss.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

That is discrimination.

Shrug....how is an office worker is same risk to hurt someone unless their software controls a pile of heavy equipment machinery?

If a company has to budget for drug testing, gotta set priorities. That's the private sector, right?  LJ you wouldn't want to work in northern part of our province.  Gets damn cold, danger zone cold in winter.

For 3 years, I worked for a major construction engineering project 1 km. 4 lane road-bridge over a river with 5 highway approaches.  I remember the Canadian workers were outraged not work with some drivers and outdoor labourers who were high on drugs/drunk. They went straight to HR ....and shortly thereafter, there was drug testing for those working with equipment/in the field.

** I worked for a German global engineering firm.

17 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Why would Gina's type of job require drug testing?  If it's an office job...

You are thinking logically and not from the jaundiced eye of an attorney.  Hmm my client was denied employment due to a discriminatory practice.  The employer applied a standard of employment to him not required of others.

Job type, working with machinery & the like are all valid reasons to drug test but generally speaking employers in the states that have to test one type of employee will test all employees to avoid discriminatory practices. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

9 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

You are thinking logically and not from the jaundiced eye of an attorney.  Hmm my client was denied employment due to a discriminatory practice.  The employer applied a standard of employment to him not required of others.

Job type, working with machinery & the like are all valid reasons to drug test but generally speaking employers in the states that have to test one type of employee will test all employees to avoid discriminatory practices. 

One needs to look at the health and safety law as the first test... Well, I can ask a bunch of colleagues who worked with electronic records in oil and gas industry before coming to our organization.

47 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

The Forge had so many new guys flunk their drug test that they started making applicants pay up front for the drug test and if they passed they got their money back. People knew if they were on drugs, why waste everyone’s time? 

I worked as a final inspector for an aerospace company building hydraulic systems for planes. 

My super said he was glad they found someone finally who knew how to read prints  measure parts that could pass the drug test. 

He said that had failed about 20 previous applicants who couldn't pass the drug test. 😲

• Haha 1

I must be old.  When I was in the navy we weren't drug tested at all, not even for special weapons security positions.  I've had the FBI show up at my neighbors to ask questions about that sailor that lived next door but never a drug test.  But then, everybody knew that we sailors would never do drugs in the 60's with those damn hippies.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I must be old.  When I was in the navy we weren't drug tested at all, not even for special weapons security positions.  I've had the FBI show up at my neighbors to ask questions about that sailor that lived next door but never a drug test.  But then, everybody knew that we sailors would never do drugs in the 60's with those damn hippies.

The military couldn’t afford to lose 50% of their troops back then! 😂

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

One needs to look at the health and safety law as the first test... Well, I can ask a bunch of colleagues who worked with electronic records in oil and gas industry before coming to our organization.

In the states that doesn’t always apply. For some industries yes, their are statutes that require drug testing.  For example a bus driver would need to drug test per DOT requirements but the dispatcher in the office generally is held to the same standards.  

I don’t  know what the legal climate is in Canada but here, attorneys are always looking for a case so employment practices are written in a way to protect employees and avoid lawsuits.

8 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

In the states that doesn’t always apply. For some industries yes, their are statutes that require drug testing.  For example a bus driver would need to drug test per DOT requirements but the dispatcher in the office generally is held to the same standards.  

I don’t  know what the legal climate is in Canada but here, attorneys are always looking for a case so employment practices are written in a way to protect employees and avoid lawsuits.

Anecdotally U.S. is viewed more litigious.  As someone who worked in the legal sector, had to screen certain current legal developments for lawyers...

One of my old companies would drug test when hired, once every few months, and randomly if we were out of town on large emergency responses. I was always called upon because they knew I was clean but I drank a lot! 
My company now was formed by hippies and they don't drug test at all no matter what happens. Just because of that I became a weekend pot head again. This allows me to cope with the idiots I work with. 

17 hours ago, Mr. Beanz said:

I've always felt the same way: nothing to hide.  I have diabetic blood tests every three months and a urine test once a year.  I think there would be signs I was on drugs if I was doing them frequently.

• Heart 1