Day/morning drinking

KrAzY

Sooooooooo I had to have a talk with one of my leaders today. We all know a co-worker is a drinker at times, but today was way over the edge then normal. I don't care if you work at a grocery store and are shitfaced, but I do care if you are planning on driving home while still intoxicated. 

The person was watched for a while, and not really sure the outcome. I just hope she is going to get help instead of in trouble. 
Hell, we got our resident potheads that are stoned all day at work, and they do a damn good job, but they typically never drive. 

• Heart 2

Most workplaces require no alcohol or recreational use or even effects of prior use in the workplace. 
My last job was at a hundred year old industrial company with a long history of heavy drinking at lunch time for the Union folks. An aggressive HR director put an end to it, and the rank and file wasn’t happy. 

9 hours ago, KrAzY said:

Sooooooooo I had to have a talk with one of my leaders today. We all know a co-worker is a drinker at times, but today was way over the edge then normal. I don't care if you work at a grocery store and are shitfaced, but I do care if you are planning on driving home while still intoxicated. 

The person was watched for a while, and not really sure the outcome. I just hope she is going to get help instead of in trouble. 
Hell, we got our resident potheads that are stoned all day at work, and they do a damn good job, but they typically never drive. 

Thank you for caring about her. 

3 hours ago, Airehead said:

Thank you for caring about her. 

Oh your read that totally wrong.. I care about the others on the street she is driving on, not her 😂

yes that was a bad joke. 

• Hugs 1

12 hours ago, KrAzY said:

I don't think I've ever worked anywhere, in industry or education or on County Commissions, where intoxication on the job was tolerable.

The potheads who are stoned all day at work may be doing a good job now, but I wouldn't count on it continuing.  I drank a lot and smoked a lot of weed in my younger days, but NOT at work and those friends who went on to depend on intoxication to get through the day as adults did NOT do well for long.

In one case as a college junior, I drank too much in the Student Union building celebrating a friend's birthday, then realized I had a Quantum Chemistry class.

I tried to look sober and figured I'd take good notes and make sense of them later.

The professor, Dr. Arthur Hyman, was using the Schrodinger Equation to develop wave equations for each of the two electrons in a negative Hydrogen atom.  When he finished the calculations, he turned around to the class and said,. "So what's wrong with these two equations?"

None of the other 12 chemistry majors, fellow survivors of last semester's Thermodynamics and a few Calculus courses, knew the answer but I raised my drunken hand and said, "You made the same assumptions about each electron, they are in the same type of orbit around hydrogen's proton, but the equations you calculated are different from each other.  They should be the same!"

Dr. Hyman said, "That's right!" and began to explain how to handle the differences (average the equations), stopped, looked at me, and said, "Mickey, I didn't think you had it in you today!"

The rest of the class laughed. My state of inebriation was clearly obvious. 

I was able to learn and comprehend what I was learning at a multivariable calculus level that day, but I knew that was just luck.

That was my first and last drunk appearance in class.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Most workplaces require no alcohol or recreational use or even effects of prior use in the workplace. 
My last job was at a hundred year old industrial company with a long history of heavy drinking at lunch time for the Union folks. An aggressive HR director put an end to it, and the rank and file wasn’t happy. 

I remember the days when the fire station as beer in the fridge, but that went away when I was getting ready to join. I’m surprised more on site accidents at companies didn’t happen like they still do now. 
yes it is not right for a person to drink or be stoned at work, and they should get help for it. Sometimes it is more of a medical reason for marijuana use and with our resident pot heads. I know for a fact it is medical use since I was there when two were having issues. But that’s a long story. 

2 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I don't think I've ever worked anywhere, in industry or education or on County Commissions, where intoxication on the job was tolerable.

The potheads who are stoned all day at work may be doing a good job now, but I wouldn't count on it continuing.  I drank a lot and smoked a lot of weed in my younger days, but NOT at work and those friends who went on to depend on intoxication to get through the day as adults did NOT do well for long.

In one case as a college junior, I drank too much in the Student Union building celebrating a friend's birthday, then realized I had a Quantum Chemistry class.

I tried to look sober and figured I'd take good notes and make sense of them later.

The professor, Dr. Arthur Hyman, was using the Schrodinger Equation to develop wave equations for each of the two electrons in a negative Hydrogen atom.  When he finished the calculations, he turned around to the class and said,. "So what's wrong with these two equations?"

None of the other 12 chemistry majors, fellow survivors of last semester's Thermodynamics and a few Calculus courses, knew the answer but I raised my drunken hand and said, "You made the same assumptions about each electron, they are in the same type of orbit around hydrogen's proton, but the equations you calculated are different from each other.  They should be the same!"

Dr. Hyman said, "That's right!" and began to explain how to handle the differences (average the equations), stopped, looked at me, and said, "Mickey, I didn't think you had it in you today!"

The rest of the class laughed. My state of inebriation was clearly obvious. 

I was able to learn and comprehend what I was learning at a multivariable calculus level that day, but I knew that was just luck.

That was my first and last drunk appearance in class.

I remember college in the 90’s when I went to class a tad wasted from a long night after a few parties. I was useless but got credit for showing up.