dreamt I was another ethnicity

shootingstar

I had a lot of native American friends in school. I ran around with a Navajo, a Hopi, and a couple of Apaches. On more than one occasion I dreamt I was Navajo, as that's who I spent the most time with. Learned a lot from some of the parents and grandparents. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, groupw said:

You do write a lot about culture and ethnicity here. It’s  not surprising it shows up in your dreams. 

Because I've lived partially in total different linguistic culture...especially when a person was born into the language. That can shape certain instincts/intuition that one takes for granted..probably. I will always remember my mother only speaking in Chinese and my father primarily speaking English with abit of Chinese because that's how he addressed us. (even though he was fully bilingual).

But no clue how Metis fits into anything. But then who ever said dreams made any sense. Sometimes it's like emptying the garbage can of memory bits.

1 hour ago, UglyBob said:

I had a lot of native American friends in school. I ran around with a Navajo, a Hopi, and a couple of Apaches. On more than one occasion I dreamt I was Navajo, as that's who I spent the most time with. Learned a lot from some of the parents and grandparents. 

Sounds like 1-2 of them were great buds.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I am a man for all seasons so I am at once all races and none.

I know you mean well.  But I would never say that. Never. 

Neither you and I have experienced being black. 

For certain, in my opinion, there would some negative experiences for some black folks, I wouldn't want at all.  I've had my share throughout life.

I did have an employee profile. I didn't discuss any  volunteer work I did, which an employee can choose to disclose areas of personal interest. Nor did I mention my family background....since myself I'm not a recent immigrant. (Some employees who immigrated as child or later, did choose to mention their family roots.) Besides there's nothing to say, just my photo should say it all.   However my profile includes my personal blog link and so now other employees can read whatever I write about.

When one is Metis....some look white ..to me. Some could pass as a white. 

The disclosure by some of our employees as Metis or indigenous (native Indian) is tied directly my employer supporting the process of educating public about the native Indian residential school fiasco/missing children at the time. Educating the public, means also becoming aware within our ranks, of employees who have this family background. It's pretty simple/yet complex.

18 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Neither you and I have experienced being black. 

For certain, in my opinion, there would some negative experiences for some black folks, I wouldn't want at all.  I've had my share throughout life.

I did have an employee profile. I didn't discuss any  volunteer work I did, which an employee can choose to disclose areas of personal interest. Nor did I mention my family background....since myself I'm not a recent immigrant. (Some employees who immigrated as child or later, did choose to mention their family roots.) Besides there's nothing to say, just my photo should say it all.   However my profile includes my personal blog link and so now other employees can read whatever I write about.

When one is Metis....some look white ..to me. Some could pass as a white. 

The disclosure by some of our employees as Metis or indigenous (native Indian) is tied directly my employer supporting the process of educating public about the native Indian residential school fiasco/missing children at the time. Educating the public, means also becoming aware within our ranks, of employees who have this family background. It's pretty simple/yet complex.

I’ve mentioned here before it appears my great great grandfather was half black. He married a white woman. I sometimes wonder how much things would have been different had he married a black woman. 

20 minutes ago, groupw said:

I’ve mentioned here before it appears my great great grandfather was half black. He married a white woman. I sometimes wonder how much things would have been different had he married a black woman. 

I didn't know groupw.

It is interesting just thinking how paths of 2 lovers cross in life..how much that can become genetic destiny for the children.  I've thought what if my parents DIDN'T immigrate to Canada and I grew /lived only in China. Just mind-blowing to me... that is more geographic,  environmental/cultural influence, not genetic. I wouldn't have met dearie at all.

But not only that, the 2 different sets of biracial nieces and nephews most likely not even exist.  THe probability of interracial marriages would be far lower/practically nil  if my family remained  entirely in China.

Beyond my birth family, every 2nd family branching out in North America (meaning cousins), has at least now 1 non-Chinese partner and biracial kid.  Within my extended family of probably 75 people across North America, outside of my own birth family, I believe there are probably addditional  3-4 more interracial couples with 2-4 biracial children.

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

You'll never close the gap. You ensure segregation by defining the parameters of living with ethnicity and race. I'm not 'well intentioned'. Don't bother me with your issues of race or ethnicity. That's all.

6 minutes ago, donkpow said:

You'll never close the gap. You ensure segregation by defining the parameters of living with ethnicity and race. I'm not 'well intentioned'. Don't bother me with your issues of race or ethnicity. That's all.

It's reality...it's not just my reality either. And it's not a terrible reality either. Life is alot richer for it but can be more challenging at different times. 

Edited by shootingstar

Just now, shootingstar said:

It's reality...it's not just my reality either. And it's not a terrible reality. Life is alot richer for it.

Good for you. Just don't complain when you suppose that ethnicity or race is the cause of a less than desirable outcome for you.

22 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Good for you. Just don't complain when you suppose that ethnicity or race is the cause of a less than desirable outcome for you.

You misunderstand some things. And we're not saints. I started off talking about dreams, Metis, reconciliation and native Indian residential schools which is not part of my experience. We get alot of this stuff in my area at this time. Is it my place, to say to those with such family backgrounds that trauma never carries over into next generation?  Do I tell them, shut-up and get tough? The best I can do is just listen and continue work with them just like any other employee. 

The world is not defined by not complaining based on according to your life experiences. Sorry donkpow.

Some of it is not even complaining. They're just stories, life experiences. Period.