Turtles have a tough time

Longjohn

The water cops got a new patrol boat. They usually stay out of my lake, it has reduced horsepower. You can get to my lake from the main lake by going under a railroad trestle. They came flying under the trestle and up the lake at full power. I was about 50 feet from shore heading in to shore. I wasn’t wearing my PFD. They asked if I had one. I said I did, I was leaning on it. They said it’s the law I have to wear it. I slipped my arms into it without looking back at them. They asked how the fishing was going. I told them I didn’t even get a nibble.

Right after they left I caught a yellow perch, a catfish, and a bluegill within five minutes. That catfish was smiling because I told him I was going to let him go.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Hiding their eggs from predators. I don’t know if they can smell the eggs or just see where somebody has buried something and decide to check it out. Every year this beach looks like this.

We we were on vacation in NC along the coast.   We were walking on a beach.   A woman was in a hurry going past us.  She stops and tells WoBG a park ranger (or whatever they are called) was going to a sea turtle nest to count turtle eggs.    We decided that would be interesting to see. 

The nest was fenced off so the public wouldn't mess with the nest.   The guy explains the egg hatched 1 day ago, and now he will count the eggs for some survey.  I can't remember, but there must have been more than 100 eggs.  Most were empty and the turtles were gone.    A few had dead turtles. :(   And there were 2 turtles that were stranded and stuck in the nest.  

The ranger then took the 2 turtles from the nest, and placed them in the sand about 20 yards from the ocean.   I asked him...    Why not just put them in the ocean?   Apparently it's important they 'learn' and remember they walked in to the ocean from beach.  Then... if they are lucky enough to live and lay eggs, they know they need to go back to the beach and build a nest.

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, Longjohn said:

The water cops got a new patrol boat. They usually stay out of my lake, it has reduced horsepower. You can get to my lake from the main lake by going under a railroad trestle. They came flying under the trestle and up the lake at full power. I was about 50 feet from shore heading in to shore. I wasn’t wearing my PFD. They asked if I had one. I said I did, I was leaning on it. They said it’s the law I have to wear it. I slipped my arms into it without looking back at them. They asked how the fishing was going. I told them I didn’t even get a nibble.

Right after they left I caught a yellow perch, a catfish, and a bluegill within five minutes. That catfish was smiling because I told him I was going to let him go.

What a prick. I'm glad they didn't harass you further. 

Did you catch a couple more perch for a nice dinner? (I love perch)

2 minutes ago, smudge said:

What a prick. I'm glad they didn't harass you further. 

They are pricks. I believe in states rights. In Pennsylvania you must have a PFD on board for each person on all watercraft. You don’t have to wear them. The army corpse of engineers built the damn dam  so they think they can make their own rules and harass kayakers and canoeists. They built the dam in Pennsylvania, they should have to follow Pennsylvania laws.

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

They are pricks. I believe in states rights. In Pennsylvania you must have a PFD on board for each person on all watercraft. You don’t have to wear them. The army corpse of engineers built the damn dam  so they think they can make their own rules and harass kayakers and canoeists. They built the dam in Pennsylvania, they should have to follow Pennsylvania laws.

I didn't think you needed to have it on at all times. Ugh....

21 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I believe in states rights. In Pennsylvania you must have a PFD on board for each person on all watercraft. You don’t have to wear them.

At Moraine, the park police will insist you wear them if you’re in the water. We had a small sail boat there, we anchored in a cove to swim and the police were on top of us, making us put on life jackets.

At Erie, they don’t care. The Coast Guard will stop you for inspection, but not over wearing/not wearing a PFD. You just have to have them.

15 hours ago, Kzoo said:

This.  I don’t remember the stat but the majority of drowning victims were good swimmers.

I wasn’t swimming, I was fishing from my kayak. White water kayaking or jet skis I can understand but on a lake. Go pick on somebody else.

6 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I wasn’t swimming, I was fishing from my kayak. White water kayaking or jet skis I can understand but on a lake. Go pick on somebody else.

Do want to see the list of lake kayakers/canoers I have picked up off the bottom?  I am an avid canoer, and to be honest I never worn my pfd either when on lakes, until I picked up my first victim and he was 10 feet from where he could stand up.  

If you don't want to wear it, fine..., but then please wear bright clothes (or none at all) because it'll make your carcass easier to find if the viz is poor in the lake

• Haha 1