So What's Your ****ing Problem With Gatorade?

Nate

Where to start?  

Should I mention flame retardant first?  or the HFCS and dyes?  

Why poison yourself with garbage like this?

Well, yes water does tend to be flame retardant too, guess we should avoid it since if it will not burn, it must be bad for you.

• Heart 1

I use gatorade mix. I mix up about half the concentration of regular, store bought gatorade

I agree with Indy who very estutely points out the flame retardant properties of water

But as far as I am concerned, it keeps mold from growing  in my water bottle and it knocks out the scranchy taste of warm tap water in the summer

I only use one flavor: green. the original whatever flavor that is

I can't see how there is HFCS in a crystalized powder.

anyway, you people are all hippies. I likes me some gatorade :P

I use gatorade mix. I mix up about half the concentration of regular, store bought gatorade

I agree with Indy who very estutely points out the flame retardant properties of water

But as far as I am concerned, it keeps mold from growing  in my water bottle and it knocks out the scranchy taste of warm tap water in the summer

I only use one flavor: green. the original whatever flavor that is

I can't see how there is HFCS in a crystalized powder.

anyway, you people are all hippies. I likes me some gatorade :P

:2:

Original Lemon Lime powder, only way to go.

Sucrose is horrible for us too.  We don't need all this excess simple sugar in our diets.  

when you are riding, you need to take in a few carbs to be able to process fat into energy. Once your blood is out of sugar, you are done. Its what runners call "hitting the wall"

the sugar is why I drink it

Its basically just sugar and salt with citrus flavor, some food dye, and a little benzochomate to keep it from exploding

your really blowing things out of proportion

when you are riding, you need to take in a few carbs to be able to process fat into energy. Once your blood is out of sugar, you are done. Its what runners call "hitting the wall"

the sugar is why I drink it

Its basically just sugar and salt with citrus flavor, some food dye, and a little benzochomate to keep it from exploding

your really blowing things out of proportion

It all depends on how far you ride.  On shorter rides, we can easily run off our glycogen stores.  On longer rides, you do need carbs and some protein.  

Not blowing things out of proportion.  You asked, and I gave reasons why I hate it.  Drink whatever you want.  It's your body.  

Gatorade is a yummy, guilty pleasure for me. I've bought into the real food theory, so I don't use Gatorade as much as I used to.  But...

The glacier frost blue Gatorade is my favorite.  If my ride has gone longer than I planned, and it's going to be a bit before I can refuel (shower, wash smelly cycling clothes, etc), I like to knock back a mix of blue Gatorade powder with a scoop of vanilla whey protein as soon as I get home. Gotta get some rebuilding going in those legs.  

I love the Gatorade gel blocks. They are a super nice treat on my 45 mile ride. It's fun to have some Gatorade pre-mixed on long rides.

But mostly I've been using Skratch Labs hydration mixes and rice bars from the Feed Zone cookbooks. My belly is AOK with this stuff, whereas Gatorade will sometimes make my belly upset. Ugh.

Gatorade has too much sugar, and not enough electrolytes in my opinion.  I prefer Hammer Heed and Perpetuem.  For centuries and double centruries I start with one bottle of heed and one of perpetuem, and carry some heed with me for later.  I wear a camelback for my water

• Heart 1