Speaking of Discounts

Mr. Beanz

I have to say I never look for a discount.  Gina neither. 

Never do things like download apps, coupons, or ask for a discount. 

Of course we look at sales.

At times we have gotten discounts unexpectedly.  Like buying a watch, the sales lady gave us a  family discount. Didn't know her at all. I guess having fun while purchasing the with, she decided to give us the discount. 

At times like Black Angus,  we get nearly 20 bucks off as the waiter mentions the Campfire Days discount.

Few other times a cashier will give us a discount. Heck, got to know a couple waiters at one joint who said we were in The Club. Didn't have to pay for soft drinks. 

But never do we go in looking or asking 

• Heart 1

I didn't used to. Now I get a senior discount and veteran's discount. I didn't ask anyone for a discount but they ask me so I get it. Now when I go back in, I politely ask for the xxx discount.

Lowe's gives me 10%

Home Depot 10%

O'Reilly's Auto Parts gives me 10% plus rewards points.

Shell gives me a fuel discount.

The health food store gives me a senior discount.

Napa parts gives me 10% (AAA benefit)

That's just off the top of my head. That's a lot of opportunity to save.

• Heart 3

33 minutes ago, donkpow said:

I didn't used to. Now I get a senior discount and veteran's discount. I didn't ask anyone for a discount but they ask me so I get it. Now when I go back in, I politely ask for the xxx discount.

Lowe's gives me 10%

Home Depot 10%

O'Reilly's Auto Parts gives me 10% plus rewards points.

Shell gives me a fuel discount.

The health food store gives me a senior discount.

Napa parts gives me 10% (AAA benefit)

That's just off the top of my head. That's a lot of opportunity to save.

What is considered a senior nowadays?

We can at times order off a 55+ menu now that we're 59. 😄

• Heart 1

Senior discount varies from businesses. The state gives an ID card, of sorts, that says you are in your golden years. That's the easiest to prove to businesses who acknowledge the program. Of course, the Medicare card is good for a transit system discount. Other places, the kid just looks at you and says, "Whatever". :lol:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

I won't even bother going to the grocery store without checking on the sales first.  Same with the race cars as I'm always looking for sales or discounts on those things that are already on my want list.  The new race car was that sort of thing.  It was something I had been looking at and it went on sale for 50 off on the same day the shop stopped saying that the brand was not elegable for standard discount coupons so another 15.  Then there were some credits I had in my account.  In the end, a $350 car for $250.  Damn straight I look for discounts.  Free money.

• Heart 1

21 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I won't even bother going to the grocery store without checking on the sales first.  Same with the race cars as I'm always looking for sales or discounts on those things that are already on my want list.  The new race car was that sort of thing.  It was something I had been looking at and it went on sale for 50 off on the same day the shop stopped saying that the brand was not elegable for standard discount coupons so another 15.  Then there were some credits I had in my account.  In the end, a $350 car for $250.  Damn straight I look for discounts.  Free money.

For grocery stores since I tend to frequent large chains, I don't see if they have sales first.  I just go because I usually have 1-2 items to get. When I get inside walking around, if there's other stuff on sale I get it. Unless it is something I absolutely need, I just buy veggie/fruit on sale and work with that at home.  There's enough in my fridge, pantry shelves that I can spontaneously plan a meal just prior day or same day. What I buy at store, can inspire me to prepare something with it same day or within next few days.

8 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

For grocery stores since I tend to frequent large chains, I don't see if they have sales first.  I just go because I usually have 1-2 items to get. When I get inside walking around, if there's other stuff on sale I get it. Unless it is something I absolutely need, I just buy veggie/fruit on sale and work with that at home.  There's enough in my fridge, pantry shelves that I can spontaneously plan a meal just prior day or same day. What I buy at store, can inspire me to prepare something with it same day or within next few days.

There are may items in the LGS that are lower price if you just take the time to load a coupon onto your store card first.

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

Other places, the kid just looks at you and says, "Whatever". :lol:

Usually I am more organized than this with reservations, but snap decision wanted to delay arriving home and explore a city. When I was in my early 50's stopped at a motel along the Interstate to see if had vacancies and the room rate. He said the senior rate is... I didn't argue. Told it to my wife and if he had said the same to her, all hell would have broken loose.

• Haha 3

I don’t necessarily seek out discounts, but I don’t say no to them. In our old town, I got the senior discount from a couple places before I qualified by age just because I was nice to people and they liked waiting on me. One of my best friends is 13 years older than me. We would meet for lunch at Runza and took turns buying. The person who waited on us most often gave us both the discount even when I didn’t qualify. When my friend moved to AZ, they still gave me the discount. She even said I don’t think you’re old enough, but I’m not going to raise prices on you now!

When we moved here, our daughter at REI suggested we join their club membership. She said it would pay off. She knows what interests us and texts me when something I might want will have a discount. I bought a pair of Pearl Izumi riding gloves a couple weeks ago. That purchase alone paid back a bunch of the membership fee. 

I do the loyalty cards at the grocery stores. It might occasionally influence which item I purchase, but there is enough savings on regular purchases to make it worth the effort. 

I seldom ask for a discount on a listed price, but I always look for sales.

I also look for store brands that are brand-name quality but cheaper.  Aldi's 24 oz. Chunky Casa Mamita Salsa for $1.59 is chunkier and less watery than 24 oz. Tostitos Chunky Salsa for $3.49 and just as tasty.

Things I buy often like 647 bread, soft drinks, produce, and meat I know the typical prices and which stores usually have the lowest prices, so I typically stop at a few different grocery stores each shopping trip.

Last week, Food Lion supermarket had 6-packs of 16.9 oz. Coke products on sale 4 for $10.  I bought 4 even though I had a few 6 packs at home.

Yesterday, they were 2 for $10 there.  I'll wait for a sale or when I run out - and then I'll check the online flyers of a few supermarkets to the best price.

14 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Damn straight I look for discounts.  Free money.

This. We are never in need of something that it can't wait for a sale, special, or coupon. We keep small lists of items we're looking to buy or need eventually that has uses sites like camelcamelcamel and others to notify us when the item has dropped significantly. Why give them extra money? Impatience? Flexing? 
Patience and a few minutes of research, pays out.