American as apple pie

Parsnip Totin Jack

16 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

So this young lady started in our department in late June. She’ll be NG (new gal) for a while. She brings the staff count up to four. Today was the first day for the week that we were all back in the office. How was your weekend? Usual questions. Turns out she had her naturalization ceremony over the weekend. She’s now an American citizen. Wow congratulations! That’s a lot of work to accomplish that, well done. So tomorrow, Thursday, I’m making an apple pie to bring in on Friday. Seems appropro. 

So double-up as a practice run too for the real pie competition?  

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

So double-up as a practice run too for the real pie competition?  

Correct! I made the double crust recipe tonight after dinner with 1:1 butter/vegetable shortening. Competition crust will be made with Irish butter (higher butterfat) and leaf lard (a better version of pork lard) 

• Heart 2

10 minutes ago, Old No. 7 said:

Correct! I made the double crust recipe tonight after dinner with 1:1 butter/vegetable shortening. Competition crust will be made with Irish butter (higher butterfat) and leaf lard (a better version of pork lard) 

Wow, seriously into crust finessing!  Love it Old!  Are they strict about the filling ingredients?

• Heart 1

Just now, shootingstar said:

Wow, seriously into crust finessing!  Love it Old!  Are they strict about the filling ingredients?

The competition? No, not at all. No nuts or other weird ingredients; traditional apple pie. I’m using 8 apples, six Granny Smith and two sweeter varieties to offset the GS tartness. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Old No. 7 said:

The competition? No, not at all. No nuts or other weird ingredients; traditional apple pie. I’m using 8 apples, six Granny Smith and two sweeter varieties to offset the GS tartness. 

I like orange rind and raisins in my apple pie. 

Just in case I ever visit you. :) 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

So this young lady started in our department in late June. She’ll be NG (new gal) for a while. She brings the staff count up to four. Today was the first day for the week that we were all back in the office. How was your weekend? Usual questions. Turns out she had her naturalization ceremony over the weekend. She’s now an American citizen. Wow congratulations! That’s a lot of work to accomplish that, well done. So tomorrow, Thursday, I’m making an apple pie to bring in on Friday. Seems appropro. 

You're OK Oldie 7.  You're OK.  You're a good man behind all that gruff from what I can tell.

• Heart 3

That is an option. My old go to recipe uses 2 Tblsp cornstarch. The new recipe, that I didn’t like used 1/2 cup flour. I’m going with cornstarch.

For most pies I also use cornstarch. For peach I use tapioca. I never use flour. Tastes pastey 

25 minutes ago, Airehead said:

For most pies I also use cornstarch. For peach I use tapioca. I never use flour. Tastes pastey 

That was the problem with today’s pie; pastey. I use tapioca in juicy fruit pies like blueberry and peach. I was schooled today. Working towards my PhD in piechiatry. 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Yum 1

Yep, around 11:30. Mine was the first one entered. They recommended that I return for judging at 5:30. So I will. 

Definitely do so, hearing the judges comments will prepare you for next time.