Vinyl?

Allen

I have a handful of records that were my parents', but I don't have any way to play them as the stylus is broken.

I never got on the "pure vinyl sound" bandwagon.  My CDs and mp3s are good enough for me.

However, when I visit my brother, I do enjoy the ritual of putting a record on.  A couple times a year, that's enough for me.

At the music shop in Princeton, the number of people pawing through crates of old records is impressive.  But it's not for me.

I'm blissfully vinyl free.  Same with cassettes, and really wish I could do something with the CDs taking up space.

All my music is on the computers, but I tend to find I use SiriusXM more just for variety, but will listen to my stuff occasionally on a car ride via Bluetooth.

I just don't have the attention span to sit and truly "listen" to music anymore.  It's either turn it up loud or background music.  The finer details you might hear in a classic record on vinyl us lost on me now :(

I do, I have a small collection of about 100. I pick up a new (or old/new) every so often. There is a vinyl shop about 20 mins from me and their good about having quality used/vintage and keeping recent artists presses in stock.

I run a Uturn Orbit plus, Schiit Manni Phono Preamp, Topping MX5, Jamo S803's in the office and it is sublime audiophile love.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 2

I love vinyl myself and have a pretty sweet collection. I lost a lot in a flood years ago and have been rebuilding ever since. @groupwjust received a really nice turntable. Maybe he will post about it that. My Technics turntable is an SL-B1 from 1982 or so. Replaced the belt and cartridge once but still going strong. Sony receiver/amp, Pioneer dual cassette player and a Sony 5-disc CD player. A pair of Bose speakers rounds out the set up. My sources vary, mostly Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and some used shops around town. I found a copy of London Sessions Howling Wolf vinyl in Boston at a used shop for $12. I didn’t tell them it was selling for $80 on Amazon. Antique stores and estate sales are also good places to search if you have the time. I bought Neil Young Decade (3 record set of greatest hits) for $5 at an antique store in Ohio. 

• Heart 3

I still have a turntable and all of our records we purchased in the 70s 80s and maybe the 90s.   Now... I guess it's a vintage turntable, a Technics SL-1401, that still works.  No belts to rot it's a direct drive turntable. 

I haven't purchsed a new record since then.   We (mostly WoBG) have purchsed CDs.  We don't download music,    There is no music on either of our cell phones and none on my Garmin watch either. 

I did add a stereo integrated amp to our home that can steam music (play CDs)  n our living room.   I have never used the tuner in the amp.   

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Old No. 7 said:

I love vinyl myself and have a pretty sweet collection. I lost a lot in a flood years ago and have been rebuilding ever since. @groupwjust received a really nice turntable. Maybe he will post about it that. My Technics turntable is an SL-B1 from 1982 or so. Replaced the belt and cartridge once but still going strong. Sony receiver/amp, Pioneer dual cassette player and a Sony 5-disc CD player. A pair of Bose speakers rounds out the set up. My sources vary, mostly Amazon, Barnes and Noble, and some used shops around town. I found a copy of London Sessions Howling Wolf vinyl in Boston at a used shop for $12. I didn’t tell them it was selling for $80 on Amazon. Antique stores and estate sales are also good places to search if you have the time. I bought Neil Young Decade (3 record set of greatest hits) for $5 at an antique store in Ohio. 

Like @goldendesign, I have a UTurn Orbit turntable. I like how basic if is. You have to move the belt to the larger/smaller pulley on the motor to change speeds. I have to drop the needle and manually stop it at the end of the side. It’s basically an updated version of my 60s vintage AR with out the floppy spring suspension. 
I have around 600-800 LPs. A few hundred CDs and a few cassettes. There is a difference in sound quality compared to CDs. Better or worse is up to the listener. Most times I prefer vinyl. 
I have loaded all my CDs to digital as well as a few LPs. I need to get a new laptop to continue transferring LPs.  My old PC is starting to struggle. 
Most of the time I listen to my music saved on iTunes or stream from YouTube or Spotify. When I have time to just sit and listen, I will play my LPs. I enjoy the process because it makes you more involved with the music. I think it matters. 

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

31 minutes ago, groupw said: When I have time to just sit and listen, I will play my LPs. I enjoy the process because it makes you more involved with the music. I think it matters. 

This sums up my feelings exactly. The music and the experience is the focus, it’s not just background noise. 

• Heart 2

Yes. I converted my 70's vintage turntable to the modern receiver that doesn't have a phono input. Works great.

I have a collection of vinyl and some holiday special albums that I spin when appropriate. Otherwise, some oldie goldie brom back in the day.

Also snagged a bunch that were abandoned in a foreclosed house we were cleaning out. Appears they were trying to sell them on Ebay without much luck, so abandoned their inventory as they moved out.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, groupw said:

I have loaded all my CDs to digital as well as a few LPs. I need to get a new laptop to continue transferring LPs.

The majority of my listening is digital. I have my entire collection in FLAC on a micro pc running a series of server style applications. One being Airsonic Advanced which is my music server application. I use front ends like dSub on android or the web player from PC to stream my music from anywhere in the world. My family and about a dozen friends/coworkers all have access logins and we can share playlists, they can upload music from their PCs, it auto downloads podcasts I subscribe to, and has a pretty nice jukebox mode too.

image.thumb.png.be11f89bfe5601d4870a96280bdaa19a.png

I'm hovering around 780 artists, 2800 Albums for 40,000 songs right now.

I love the feel and the manual effort that vinyl gives me but to be honest I prefer to listen from my digital sources most of the time. 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, groupw said:

There is a difference in sound quality compared to CDs. Better or worse is up to the listener. Most times I prefer vinyl. 

When I listened to my records a LOT,  I also had a RG Dynamics Pro 16 Dynamic Range Processor (expander) in the audio processing loop for my preamplifier.  Even playing a record LOUD, I never heard any scratchiness during the quieter passages of the music.  It sounded great.  :party:

I kept that old dynamic range expander, along with the pre amp and power amp.  I need to take the old power amp to a place to get it fixed.   About 2 years ago it was still working until there was a rather bad noise, and then nothing.  

RG Dynamics Pro 16 Dynamic Range Processor (Expander)

• Heart 1

I haven’t added any to the collection in 4 years and don’t anticipate doing so.  I have every LP I purchased since the age of 11. 
My daughter is making a digital inventory and I may dispose of the whole lot.  There are enough streaming services now that I really don’t need to own them anymore.