Reuben sandwich @8:30 am mid-bike ride

shootingstar

I was on a ride a couple months back, and stopped on the way home at a sandwich shop and got a Reuben!  I enjoy their sandwiches and eat there a few times a year, usually when my wife and I ride out there specifically for a ride & lunch adventure.  This time, though, I was solo, but I think a sandwich is a bit too much if following with a brisk return home those last 15 miles.  I think my body pushed the hold button on digestion, so it sat in my stomach until I got home :(  Next time, I'm gonna probably relax a little longer before riding again :D

Looks like you did it the right way!

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I was on a ride a couple months back, and stopped on the way home at a sandwich shop and got a Reuben!  I enjoy their sandwiches and eat there a few times a year, usually when my wife and I ride out there specifically for a ride & lunch adventure.  This time, though, I was solo, but I think a sandwich is a bit too much if following with a brisk return home those last 15 miles.  I think my body pushed the hold button on digestion, so it sat in my stomach until I got home :(  Next time, I'm gonna probably relax a little longer before riding again :D

Looks like you did it the right way!

Best reuben is:  hot enough, enough smoked meat but not overly, melted cheese, tang of sauerkraut, etc. I've had other reuben versions where it's just way too much meat and nothing else beside the slices of sandwich bread.

To my stomach, it is truly a full meal..for the rest of the day.

Am having green tea to hydrate while @home.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

A Reuben is my go sammich.

Well It was :dontknow:

I'm making that meal (with coffee) my whole meal for rest day. In evening, I might blanch some veggies. More tea/yogurt. Some cherries since I have too many cherries.  It's 31 degrees C hot out there. A brilliant blue sky day!

Prior I did have a real breakfast of cornflakes with skim milk, yogurt and strawberries. with chai tea.

1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

That makes me hungry..., I love a a Reuben.  Probably a few years since I have had one.  May be time to get one

And make it a meal for practically the whole day!  I'm still full and it's 4:30 pm.  Must have been too many cups of tea. Oh well. It's hot out.

I like a Reuben sandwich.  One of my favorites....

I like to ride...

Eating a Reuben on a ride...   I probably won't do that anytime soon.

6 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I think my body pushed the hold button on digestion, so it sat in my stomach until I got home

Years ago I was on an organized ride.  I was going for 100 miles.  There was a rest stop, if I recall, maybe at 60 miles.  The had lots of food, and I noticed sloppy joe sandwiches.  The first one was good.  Yeah... I had 2.   I was hungry.   OMG what a mistake.   It was like having concrete in my stomach.  That was not fun at all. I got to the place to decide 75 miles or 100.   I did 75.   I was glad I could finish. 

I learned... never to eat a lot on a ride.  I can always eat at the end of the ride.  

That said...  now I want a Rueben.  

• Hugs 2

I eat enough to not bonk. Generally granola type bars for breakfast with some milk. At the SAGs I will eat a cookie (tye Calamus monster cookies are legendary!) or fresh fruit on the ride and mostly water to drink. On a solo ride I will sometimes stop at a convenience store for a Snickers or a Reeses peanut butter cup if I feel the need for calories. If I can tell water isn’t cutting it, I will down a small Gatorade or the like. 
I am typically in serious calorie deficit after a ride. A hard ride will have my stomach shook to the point all I want for a while is an iced mocha latte-chocolate milk recovery drink with some caffeine added. I continue to drink water but I try to just eat a normal meal instead of “making up” for burned calories. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Philander Seabury said:

My MIL is deathly afraid of a soggy Reuben so she always tells them to stand it on edge. I often don’t order them because of that and how filling they are. 

My morning sandwich yesterday did last me the whole day. For supper I only had yogurt and some milk. I know ..backwards.

At Lake Louise Chateau Hotel, a restaurant used to serve a bison reuben.  It was wonderful. Bison is low fat.  Too bad it is no longer there on menu after a few winters:

bisonreubentableau.jpg

7 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I'm not usually looking forward to sauerkraut early in the AM, but I'd eat that Reuben with those potatoes on the side!

Sauerkraut is like yogurt....kinda fermenty thing for good digestion.  To me, sauerkraut cuts down a little on something that could taste heavier.