Hey MoseySusan, how are you?

Dottleshead

21 minutes ago, Kirby said:

improvement and that must be motivating.

I don’t know if what I’m doing is changing my gfr or metabolic markers. Kidney tissue doesn’t repair. Chronic kidney disease is for life. I’m still waiting for a referral to a dietitian and an approved treatment plan. 

• Hugs 1

You mentioned you were able to stop your joint supplements and still feel ok, so that's a positive sign.  And if you're able to make these changes, I'm confident you'll be able to follow whatever the treatment plan is.  I always admired the way @Dirtyhip did whatever she could do to be proactive and about handling medical issues and minimize impact as much as possible.   I hope you get the referral soon.

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

Albuquerque is hot during summertime, but the monsoon rainy season is here, so we get a rainstorm every week or so. 

mr. and I are coaching second son’s special olympics swimming team. We have a meet tomorrow. 

I’m getting a handle on dietary changes that might stall further deterioration of my kidneys, and I’ve lost ten pounds since 6/20, the day when I threw away two bottles of joint supplements and vitamins and stopped drinking alcohol. I don’t miss either, but I still want potatoes and quick breads. Haven’t eaten either since 6/20. I don’t miss salt as much as I thought I would, though.  

And we’re looking forward to a road trip along the CA coast in a few weeks. 

My belly button birthday! Good on you Sue. Make it happen. 

• Heart 2

57 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

I don’t know if what I’m doing is changing my gfr or metabolic markers. Kidney tissue doesn’t repair. Chronic kidney disease is for life. I’m still waiting for a referral to a dietitian and an approved treatment plan. 

Hopefully wait won't be many weeks.

• Heart 2

7 hours ago, MoseySusan said:

I have re educated myself on the definition of monsoon.  Although one definition is the rain, the actual name comes from a weather condition involving prevailing winds.

CT averages 50 inches of rain per year with an additional 37 inches of snow.  We had never thought to call the prevailing seasonal winds "monsoon".  Malaysia which does have a monsoon season averages 121 inches of rain per year.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I have re educated myself on the definition of monsoon.  Although one definition is the rain, the actual name comes from a weather condition involving prevailing winds.

CT averages 50 inches of rain per year with an additional 37 inches of snow.  We had never thought to call the prevailing seasonal winds "monsoon".  Malaysia which does have a monsoon season averages 121 inches of rain per year.

Where I lived near Clovis, NM got about 18" of rain a year and 10" of snow. However, a lot of that rain and snow happened in just 3 or 4 storms. As that area is very flat, flooding was an issue at times. Clovis is on the far eastern side of NM on the Texas border so far away from Albuquerque and the mountains.

12 hours ago, groupw said:

Hoping to visit on the way back from Nebraska over Labor Day weekend if that works for you

We start phase next of home renovations the day after Labor Day. That weekend we will be moving furniture and boxing up all the stuff in the closets so the contractor can pull up all of the carpets, remove doors, and demo the main bathroom. Maybe we can get together for dinner, or something? 

• Heart 3

5 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Where I lived near Clovis, NM got about 18" of rain a year and 10" of snow. However, a lot of that rain and snow happened in just 3 or 4 storms. As that area is very flat, flooding was an issue at times. Clovis is on the far eastern side of NM on the Texas border so far away from Albuquerque and the mountains.

Yes. Severe storms that roll through and drop a lot of rain and hail. 

6 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

We get the flooding because we are just the opposite, not flat.  All that water gets into the river vallys and far too many CT towns were mill towns build on rivers.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

We get the flooding because we are just the opposite, not flat.  All that water gets into the river vallys and far too many CT towns were mill towns build on rivers.

Same.  We have a lot of river valleys and deltas around major urban areas and tropical storms that roll in through the south pacific that can melt the snow pack in the Cascades and release the flood gates.  Now with the weather changing, it's happening a lot more.  I suspect it will continue to happen more and folks are either going to have to move out of the area or keep a large slush fund for every 3 years or so to rebuild. I dunno but flood insurance ain't cheap and it's required now any many places.