How was your visit with family?

Airehead

1 hour ago, BuffJim said:

It’s been a glorious week. All 5 of us boys together at once. My mom has been in her glory. Going to pick her up for church, with 8 of us still together. On Tuesday, youngest brother and family heads back to Minnesota and the summer gets quieter. No drama, no mishaps, just enjoyable visiting. image.thumb.jpeg.a4763c72ce76562a56704a82ed4016b2.jpeg

92C6E159-F1B4-4E3B-88E6-2DA113B310A0.jpeg

1EA77CAF-4F91-4249-B97C-992BEDC03008.jpeg

4F2463CC-7356-4E96-9D66-9CD247469990.jpeg

59E1F603-5BE1-46C0-8146-0BDD99A1F3CF.jpeg

CDD35917-E77F-4343-8347-378014A321FE.jpeg

I am suspicious of the second brother from the left.  :)  

• Haha 1
  • Hugs 1

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Isn't that a bit bold??  Unless they already have a good relationship. Oh wait...don't you have 2 sons?  It must have been major purchase or whatever.  

No.  She couldn't pay her rent.  Her dad and her ex "not really husband" screwed her by having her sign some paperwork for the business.  The business never paid taxes and everything she makes has been attached by the IRS.  That cost her the job because she was a payroll clerk and the company wouldn't allow that.  My outlaws are an "interesting" bunch.  She is my wife's sisters daughter and womaxx has always tried to take care of her.

• Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

57 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

The Fanny pack?  That’s my 2nd oldest, from Champaign IL. I’ll have a word with him about the Fanny pack. 

Remember I posted a bit ago that they are high fashion for men this year. 

54 minutes ago, MoseySusan said:

StD and grandkids came through for a day to borrow our minivan for a three week road trip to Maine and back. mr. got to drive her Prius during that time. Then they stayed for a day on the way back and to switch cars again. We had a good visit both times. mr. and the boys played basketball, we celebrated a birthday with boba tea and a new action camera (not a GoPro because he’s only 12), I gave a book to granddaughter that she started on right away, and we went to a local game room to gamble away for prizes. I’d forgotten how much teens eat. 

That sounds lovely. 

26 minutes ago, Kirby said:

Our visit was last weekend, we got together for bagels before the cemetery tour.  Overall a very nice day.

What kind of bagel?

• Heart 1

34 minutes ago, Airehead said:

What kind of bagel?

I brought a mix with some everything, poppy and sesame

I like cinnamon and raisin for breakfast, but this was clearly a lunch meal with chicken salad

• Heart 1

I visited Mom and sister last week at assisted living. Mom is in good spirits but is having issues in communication. She can no longer recall the words she needs to communicate her thoughts and is frustrated with that. Sister has lost her upper front teeth; not sure how many more have gone, but it’s not a good sign as she is only 60.

• Heart 1
  • Hugs 2

44 minutes ago, goldendesign said:

Niece-in-law is (WoGoldend eldest sisters daughter) is visiting us this summer from Turkey. She is 13 so old enough to fly solo as long as it was direct. The Mom drove her from their house in Ankara to Istanbul and put her on a plane to Miami. We drove to Miami and picker her up. 

It's been, interesting. She's of course a pre-teen teenager girl, an all the hormones and attitude that come with it. We had a week with her before we took everyone to Disney for a 5 day stay at a resort on property and visits to all the parks. She had a chip on her shoulder for most of the trip. Without a very large wall of text (and without getting too political), her parents are separated and the father is the conservative "countryman" equivalent in Turkey as we have here and filled her with all kinds of poison about the filthy Americans and what she was going to expect when she got here. Her mom on the other hand, enjoys her visits and very much loves where we live even if she has no desire to move to the states. 

I think the father was trying to scare her so she'd not see the US or any other country for that matter was better than them right now. So we received quite a bit of attitude and in general shitty attitude from her during her stay with us at the Ears. I was very close to just bundling her ass up in a car and driving her to an airport. I am hosting her for 6 weeks and I did not need her sass for the whole of it. If she was going to shit on everything she saw and talk about how better it is somewhere else (I've been to Ankara, and although very beautiful I would not live so maybe I'm biased too). Wife was pretty much the same. ]

The mom had a serious conversation with her over the phone and it seems most of it was confusion from the lies of her dad (big fucking surprise) and jealousy over how things are for us. We're not rich but we're very comfortable upper middle-class for states, this puts most things we take common place way out of reach for her with the way the Turkish economy has been going for much of her life. There was some crying, hugging, and in general apologies between everyone.

Since then, things have been better. She's still a 13 year old girl that's never had any responsibility asked of her (mom and grandma do everything for her) so simple things like taking the dog for a walk or at least remembering to close the flipping doors when she goes outside seem novel aspects. We went out to my parents retiree community today for lunch and swimming and it was pleasant to have her with us. With almost a month left, there will probably be many ups and downs but it should at least be memorable for everyone.

Interesting. .... she did sound...confused. And her father's comments about the U.S./fear he will lose his daughter doesn't help.  At that age, she will remember her trip-stay with your family. Wonder what she would say in 5 years.

For sure, you and wifey know how to deal with your daughter...who probably is quite different anyway because she started off life differently as a child.  

48 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Great cake. 

My sister on my right in the picture, at one time was an instructor at The Wilton School of Cake Decorating and Confectionery Art.  So her cakes are always great cakes. I'd say she is a pro at cake decorating.   Some of her cakes took hours to decorate... and we can eat them in a lot less time.

• Heart 1
  • Yum 2

54 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Interesting. .... she did sound...confused.

Yeah, the grandma filled in more for us later. They visited Istanbul before the flight as a tourist thing since she's never left the capital. Istanbul is very metropolitan and they stayed with a second cousin who is an ER doctor. Again, the income gap and difference in perspective caused her jealousy. Her father left school after primary and was apprenticed to a barber. He's never not been a barber in the small satellite town of the capital and has the small mindset of someone whose never been educated and uses their ignorance as a shield against anything different. I'm honestly amazed he somehow got my wifes sisters attention and got her to marry him. It's astounding. She's a paralegal working for international law in one of the largest firms in Turkey. She supports herself, her mother (my wifes mom too) and partially a sister as well as giving a sort of alimony to the husband. Very much a hillbilly marries a Beverly hills comedy that unfortunately ended not so comically and the niece is the results. 

• Awesome 1
  • Sad 1
  • Hugs 1

Just now, LoneWolf said:

Three weeks ago, I got to see one of my nieces (normally out-of-country) very unexpectedly. She was in Illinois for a college prep-type program and her laptop started to die. days before her exams. As tech is kind of my job, my sis texted me, and with the supply chain issues still going on, I decided the best thing to do was to get my one-year-old one to her.  Drove out there with my tools and migrated all of her data before driving home in the evening. My four nieces all call me by the childhood name she had for me when she couldn't pronounce "Uncle Doug", and I'm happy that that will never change -It was great to see her.

GFoLW and I took my parents out last night for their birthdays and 51st anniversary (all fall on the same week) and they got to meet her stepdad too. That was a nice outing.

You are a good,egg

• Heart 1
  • Thank You 1

I don't see my side of the family often, I should get back there more, there is always something funny

We were all hanging out in my brothers driveway, between the house and barn, and a bunch of out buildings, really just in in the middle of a bunch of farm buildings.

Mrs Further was sitting in the van, talking out the window, but still a bit removed, so kind of an observer

The Guinea hen that lives there was front and center, checking everyone out and strutting around like he owned the place.

Mrs. noticed the hen kept close to Jack, he watched everybody, but followed Jack 

So Mrs mentions the Guinea seems to hang tight to Jack. Other nephew, Doug, laughs, they're drinkin buddy's 

So Jack checks on the animals in the barn every night. They don't have a dairy herd anymore but they have a bunch of heifers that they sell off to working dairy's, and Jack is getting into goat raising, so there are a bunch of goats.

Anyway Jack checks on the animals, and has a beer, maybe two, and the Guinea hen is right there, helping Jack keep on top of things.

So Jack shares his beer  

I would like to have a bird to hang with

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2022 at 8:36 AM, Airehead said:

There has been plenty of visiting. Share your stories. 

Not any traveling - the relatives I usually stay with are still scared to death of Covid and discouraging visits.

Yesterday, after some shopping for $7.99/lb ribeye steaks ($4/lb sale) at a supermarket near my sister's, I swung by there to see how my BiL was doing after his last of 4 very strong chemo treatments - done to make as sure as possible that all the negative cancer tests after his lung lobe was removed didn't miss anything.

He's doing fine.  I gave my sister the name of my ophthalmologist and she saw online that her office takes her insurance.  She gave me the name of frozen, pre-cooked "Just Bare Chicken" nuggets or tenders at Aldi. She says they're lightly breaded and as good as Chick-Fil A.

That might work with the salads I want to eat more often.

• Heart 1

50 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

Not any traveling - the relatives I usually stay with are still scared to death of Covid and discouraging visits.

Yesterday, after some shopping for $7.99/lb ribeye steaks ($4/lb sale) at a supermarket near my sister's, I swung by there to see how my BiL was doing after his last of 4 very strong chemo treatments - done to make as sure as possible that all the negative cancer tests after his lung lobe was removed didn't miss anything.

He's doing fine.  I gave my sister the name of my ophthalmologist and she saw online that her office takes her insurance.  She gave me the name of frozen, pre-cooked "Just Bare Chicken" nuggets or tenders at Aldi. She says they're lightly breaded and as good as Chick-Fil A.

That might work with the salads I want to eat more often.

I haven't seen my siblings and families for over last 3 yrs. since they all live in Ontario.

Above is my youngest sibling, a decade younger. So there is point, we do need to see each other.  The tricky part is taking airflights with many other strangers.  All of my family members have been vaxxed as far as they can be. ...siblings need to be since they work in hospitals and visit my mother.

Well, I finally gave her, her birthday little cake...3 yrs. later.  A gourmet raspberry chocolate dome cake. She will have celebrated 53 yrs. She had her youngest child (boy) @40 yrs. 

She is the baby in the family and sister who I loved to lug her around and walk the stroller with her inside around when she was baby and show her off to neighbours. She was like a living doll to me.  I was 11 yrs. old when I would follow her up and down staircase, when she learned to crawl.

• Heart 1

The kids came down from Boston this weekend for the Wife's 60th birthday.  They finally got to meet their new BiL.  Had all 6+ together for the first time. 

And of course, everyone's dogs were there.  A few little dustups as the Mini American Shepherd puppy and the Terrier had words, then the Shepherd got out in the yard.  No problem, she just wanted to run around like a maniac, but her parents don't let her off leash outside fences, so they were worried.  Sent the Aussie to go get her, she gave up in less than a minute.  Realized it was futile.

It was great to just hang with all the family and a couple close friends.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

My Dutch family are all home now.  Two different cousins and their families came for about a month.  It was cool hanging out with them & catching up. 

Not the family I took to the beach but the other one took a trip up the CA coast.  They stayed a few days in San Fran and for some reason stopped for lunch in Oakland on the way back. They clearly didn’t know how dangerous Oakland is….

Well during lunch their car got broken into and all of their luggage was stolen.  They bought thousands of dollars worth of clothes & their electronics (laptops, tablets & gaming devices for the flight) gone… They basically went home with what they took into the restaurant, the clothes on their backs, passports & cell phones.  

• Sad 6