That cousin thing...

Randomguy
Go to solution Solved by donkpow,

I ID'd a lot of distant cousins after using ancestry.com and informing relatives.  I had trouble telling the difference between, say, a "second cousin" and a "first cousin once removed."  I found this chart and used it for a while, but the once or twice removed stuff was confusing enough to people I just went back to calling them "third cousins," etc.

I knew a lot of my distant cousins.  My paternal grandmother had two sisters who married brothers named "Bettwy."  The joke about Bettwy girls was that all you had to do was look at them to get them pregnant.  Their family is huge in the Altoona, PA area.  The children of my father's first cousins and my family kept in touch over the years.  The Bettwy family held a family reunion every 2 years in a park outside of Altoona into the early 2000's when the organizer in the family died.  The reunion was so huge they held it on a Sunday and had a priest to say mass!  My grandmother, being the third sister and "Aunt Rose," her descendants were always considered part of the family and we always attended.  An uncle of mine discovered, by chance after seeing the name "Hartzer" on a road sign, relatives of my grandmother's Alsatian parents in Strasbourg, France, and we flew them to one of the reunions!

1505666983_CousinsChart.thumb.jpg.db10e68baccd82f6cb727f4855b2979b.jpg