My new sister

ChrisL

I'm not surprised she voluntarily cooked up that dish as a surprise gift:  in my opinion, I think people who know how to cook/bake some select dishes very well, that is tied to their family's ethnicity, they enjoy sharing that dish with others.  It's a combined gift with pride.

I saw that with dearie for the dishes he prepped on the German side.  And for me, on the Chinese side.

• Heart 1

49 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Best kind of sister to have— one that spoils you. 
can she teach you the secret?

I’m sure she would. She lives kinda far though and it’s one thing to tell you but another to cook it with them & see how they do it. 

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

Pictures of your new sister???? is she hot?? 

@Parr8hed would like to know, and I must ask these important questions since he has not yet. 

You guys crack me up.  Is she hot??  Well she looks like my sisters so no, not to me.  @Parr8hed I’m sure he’d find her hot.

I don’t have any pictures but I don’t think you guys realize that I’m the youngest sibling in a big family.  My 3 older sisters who my new sister is roughly the same age are in their 70’s.  

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

You guys crack me up.  Is she hot??  Well she looks like my sisters so no, not to me.  @Parr8hed I’m sure he’d find her hot.

I don’t have any pictures but I don’t think you guys realize that I’m the youngest sibling in a big family.  My 3 older sisters who my new sister is roughly the same age are in their 70’s.  

Age is just a number.. if she is hot then there you go. :)

also remember 70's is younger then 80's so it's not like its all that bad! 

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Sister #2 met a lady her age and with the same ethnicity who immigrated from Indonesia to Holland to America like us.  

She has become fast friends with my older sisters and I met her for the first time last week at the wedding.  At the wedding we got to talking about Indonesian food and she asked what food I like the best.  I told her I like nearly all of it but miss Nasi Goereng (fried rice) as I can’t make it like my mom did.  

So today at our family BBQ she shows up and pulls me aside & says I made you something.  She then hands over a big container of Nasi Goereng!  Freaking nailed it too, it had the right texture & tastes just like my moms!  My sisters did say she is really good at making Indonesian food.

So freaking cool of her to do that for me.  I told her she’s my new favorite sister! 😁

I haven't had Indonesian fried rice.  My late piano teacher, Frances Cheng-Koors, was born and raised in Shanghai, China but she said she like Thai fried rice best and recommended a Thai restaurant in Annapolis that makes it great.

16 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I haven't had Indonesian fried rice.  My late piano teacher, Frances Cheng-Koors, was born and raised in Shanghai, China but she said she like Thai fried rice best and recommended a Thai restaurant in Annapolis that makes it great.

Every country does it a bit differently and even in Indonesia there are variances between islands.  Our version is onion, paprika, shrimp paste, garlic  & a touch sweet soy.  It’s usually garnished with an egg, fried onion & finely chopped green onions.

• Heart 1

Just now, Dottles said:

I keep thinking of that scene where Clint is in eating the Mung food and mentions how good it is. Now I want some!!

It took my wife years to warm up to our food.  She grew up very southern and never ate any ethnic food (ok if you call pizza ethnic count that).

My mom kept offering and she’d politely decline.  My middle brother’s wife didn’t help either as she was totally grossed out by Asian food and scared my wife.

She eventually warmed up to it and eventually came to love it.  

24 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

It took my wife years to warm up to our food.  She grew up very southern and never ate any ethnic food (ok if you call pizza ethnic count that).

My mom kept offering and she’d politely decline.  My middle brother’s wife didn’t help either as she was totally grossed out by Asian food and scared my wife.

I recall meeting a married couple, where she was East Indian and he was Caucasian.  He hated curry (which he told me right there in the restaurant. Ok, I thought it was a bit strange to declare this to a stranger.)  ...which of course, defines many East Indian/South Asian dishes..  He must have munched naan bread and settled on jasmine rice. (which is more East Indian, Southeaast Asian, not Chinese nor Japanese nor Korean. Just letting folks know of nuances).

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I recall meeting a married couple, where she was East Indian and he was Caucasian.  He hated curry (which he told me right there in the restaurant. Ok, I thought it was a bit strange to declare this to a stranger.)  ...which of course, defines many East Indian/South Asian dishes..  He must have munched naan bread and settled on jasmine rice. (which is more East Indian, Southeaast Asian, not Chinese nor Japanese nor Korean).

Truth be told I dislike curry too!  My dad didn’t like it either. Not sure if it was hereditary or what but I don’t even like the smell of it. My son loves it though so I ask him not to eat it around me.

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Truth be told I dislike curry too!  My dad didn’t like it either. Not sure if it was hereditary or what but I don’t even like the smell of it. My son loves it though so I ask him not to eat it around me.

Interesting.  My family doesn't use curry as a normal spice because it's not part of my family's ancestral regional Chinese cuisine.  It wouldn't surprise me, they each have tried cooking curry.  All I know is that I have stronger tolerance to spicy foods (curry, chili, etc.) compared to several siblings.

Cantonese cuisine is actually mild, digestible cuisine because it has less racy, less  spicy dishes (ie. use of chili,etc.) compared to Szcheuan, Shanghaiese or Hunan regional cuisine. Cantonese cuisine's strength  /influence for rest of China is: flash stir frying and its range of seafood dishes because of its closeness to ocean/river waters. Its seafood dishes in cooking style showcases freshness of seafood, instead of covering it up with strong spiciness.  More naked cooking.

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Interesting because I consider southern food a classification of ethnic food. 

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Wierd to be grossed by Asian food...since there is such huge diversity by a wide range of cuisines because each country is different. The only things in common are:  rice (even that depends on type of rice), maybe some version of soy sauce, certain noodles.

24 minutes ago, Airehead said:

Interesting because I consider southern food a classification of ethnic food. 

Well I call it southern but maybe a wrong choice of words. Yeah not creole or such, their choice of food was just very basic.  Roast or some sort of meat & starch & Veg.  She ate red beans & rice & like most from the region seafood but prepared much differently than my family and big fancy desserts.   

18 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Wierd to be grossed by Asian food...since there is such huge diversity by a wide range of cuisines because each country is different. The only things in common are:  rice (even that depends on type of rice), maybe some version of soy sauce, certain noodles.

It was just totally alien to her as noted in my earlier comments. Just not like anything she ever had. Her mom still turns her nose up to anything ethnic.